Transformers and "Low Voltage Wire"

likethemthin

Greetings and Happy New Year!!

I am 150 meters down a lane from the main electric line, and my house is 150 meters from the lane. I have copper wire on my 150 meters of property, of course aluminum wire on government poles.

I have a power hungry western style house with 5 A/C, 2 hot water heaters, electric stove, 4 various water pumps including submersible well pump and swimming pool filter pump. I have single phase 30/100 meter, which I am told is single phase 100 amp service.

I have insufficient power (to use stove, no other equipment can be on), lights blink on occasion, and I am on "end of line" from nearest transformer.

I would like to install a 30kVA transformer on my property but salesman/installer said I have to replace 150 meters of government poles on lane with 12 meter poles and change wire from "low voltage wire" to "high voltage aluminum wire" . "About" 200,000 baht including 60,000 baht transformer from Thaipatanakit.com.

1. could this be true that I cannot just install a transformer on my property without paying for new poles and wire on the public lane?

2. Could a 10kVA or 20kVa transformer solve my problem and not require changing poles and installing new "high voltage wire" on government lane? Sorry to be stupid!!

3. Is it possible just changing to "high voltage wire" would solve my problem wihtout need for transformer?

Many thanks in advance for any input, ideas or comments.

Walter

1-No, you cannot install a transformer without a high voltage feed.

2-No

3-No

The transformer needs a feed from the high voltage (25kV) system for it to work, in turn the 25kV wires must be on taller poles for safety.

How far from the existing transformer are you? It's a big grey box up on the pole.

It may be practical to place a transformer at the entrance to the lane, but of course the HV network needs to be there too.

If possible can you post photos of the poles at the entrance to the lane, and where your meter is located, ensure we can see all the wires at the top.

Is 3-phase available? (we will be able to tell from your photos)

Adjusting your home to use 3-phase may be a cheaper option, it will require a new meter and extra wires on the existing poles along with some re-wiring of your breaker box (possibly a new box).

Many many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Your idea: "It may be practical to place a transformer at the entrance to the lane, but of course the HV network needs to be there too." bears further study and analysis by me.

The high voltage line runs on main road at the entrance to the public lane, so that is where the private contractor intends hook-up. I did not post photos because all my questions and concerns are addressed; however, I am in Loei and 3-phase is not available near where I am, and also, I rented for awhile at a place that had three phase, and power was poor and not impressive, of course Thai landlord had aluminum wire on his property about 100 meters.

I will just continue with the 200,000 baht upgrade; I considered a genset earlier and now, but appreciated previous comments on this forum comparing costs, maintenance, fuel etc and opted to just try to fix what is available, plus future subdividing of my land (actually my wife's) may allow for selling a property "with electric".

Many thanks again for expert advice!!!!!!!!

Walter

Sounds like a Voltage Stabilizer might solve your problems. I have a very similar scenario (but slightly more usage than you), with a mains supply that can drop to the low 100 volt range. a 100A Stabilizer from Global House proved to be a cost effective and reliable solution.

Have a read through this thread and see if you think your problem is the same:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/671566-voltage-drop-solved

• Like 1