So about that E20

shiroboi

E85 is bloody good believe Me when Cruzin mid revs on long runs with Eco Mode on. No Power Gain from expensive stuff.Drops down kpm wise in Towns/ Slow mountain traffic but the lo cost covers that.Any Ride full of Passengers / Luggage especially a CRV Honda gobbles fuel just like a Tblazer truck.

e85 is kinda like putting est in your rum and coke instead of coke - it works but not the same as the real thing ;)

• Like 1

Cheers Shiroboi, great review!

All he needs to do to make me believe it as something factual is to give the science behind his explosive power of ethanol verses benzine statement.. I have always thought that the ethanol was the one that had the purity and explosive power way over Benzine.

500 KM per tank on E85 , but 800 KM on E20 . This is 60 % further . If E 20 is 27 B/L then E 85 needs to be cheaper than 17 B/L to make financial sense , if you dont mind the power / torque loss , and your sure of the risks involved with the increased wear of your engine. When everything is factered in , you may be better of with E 10 / 20.

Robblok, half of 10% is 5%. You have 5% less power. 20% less power would be a HUGE difference. I'm pretty sure I'd notice that.

Ace of Pop, I have a Honda Freed. It's based on the FIt/Jazz chassis and engine. Has 7 seats.

AsiaCheese, My father in Law has the Jazz and I used to drive it a lot. It could get anywhere from 13-16 Kl/Litre depending on how I drove it. Those numbers are in line with my Freed test. Same engine but more weight.

I was wrong

If like people in the OP said that ethanol gives 50% less burn (power) then if you got 100% benzine and replace it with 90% benzine and 10 % ethanol. Then you got 10 % of something that works at 50% of what you replaced so that would give you 95% power sorry. Mistake.

Too much theory but no Practice here over a long period.! !. E85 gives it a " cracle n pop" over E20 and the hi priced stuff, which feels like your running on treacle. Dont know why but it does. So ,theory dictates one should get more KPM on 85, but you dont....Perhaps Warpy knows the reason ,ive no idea .Lot of drift cars use 85, why so if it powers down.coffee1.gif

Too much theory but no Practice here over a long period.! !. E85 gives it a " cracle n pop" over E20 and the hi priced stuff, which feels like your running on treacle. Dont know why but it does. So ,theory dictates one should get more KPM on 85, but you dont....Perhaps Warpy knows the reason ,ive no idea .Lot of drift cars use 85, why so if it powers down.coffee1.gif

No idea but I have never checked the facts, I took for granted that ethanol has less power benzine and went with the 50%. I have no idea what the real values are. So I could be off but theory and real should be the same if you got the right figures. Its just math and science.

A lot of erroneous numbers being quoted. Ethanol has approximately 33% less calorific value than gasoline(benzene).
I did a calculation to compare theoretical energy in different fuels. Note that it will not necessarily be
accurate for converting to km/l but will show the maximums that are achievable. The diesel engine is more efficient
than a regular internal combustion engine by about 40% so will get better much better mileage as well.
E20 gives the most bang for the buck for regular fuels. Diesel is the best liquid fuel but has higher initial price.
LPG (or any of the gas kits) will give the cheapest running costs but also a very limited range.
post-80817-0-38552300-1420958964_thumb.j
Edited by DPGumbypgh
  • Like 2

A lot of erroneous numbers being quoted. Ethanol has approximately 33% less calorific value than gasoline(benzene).
I did a calculation to compare theoretical energy in different fuels. Note that it will not necessarily be
accurate for converting to km/l but will show the maximums that are achievable. The diesel engine is more efficient
than a regular internal combustion engine by about 40% so will get better much better mileage as well.
E20 gives the most bang for the buck for regular fuels. Diesel is the best liquid fuel but has higher initial price.
LPG (or any of the gas kits) will give the cheapest running costs but also a very limited range.

too technical for me mate but will take your word for it. :)

My theory is it's hard enough to get consistent quality fuel from station to station so I don't hold my breath on the quality of e20 e10 e/whatever being sold here and who is checking the certification boxes along the way. I will stick with my expensive v power diesel.

• Like 1

Sweden have 95 Ethanol,+ some chemical that gives it a pop. They have used it longer than most countries,not smelly in towns like Diesel. Yeh all bloody theory, but it works for me whatever a bit of paper says .Ones who dont have a Car that cant use it seem know the most.coffee1.gif

I got it from a news article (BKK Post )about raising the price to 24.14 baht / kg in Dec.

Are you sure that you are not quoting the price for NGV. The official price for NGV is 12,5 baht / kg

LPG - departed CNX 5 Jan got back yesterday

Lpg is sold by the litre apparently which approximately doubles it's price in kg

14 baht and change most everywhere. Only paid 15 and change in the back of beyond.

Is the chart posted above listing the price in Kg ?? MJ listed are in litres, as are all the others

Sorry LPG price and MJ are per kg in the chart, I didn't realise that LPG was sold in litres as government prices were quoted per kg only. I can redo it if anyone wishes but the result MJ/baht remains the same.

No Sweat. Now I know - seemed strange to me, hence my reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Shiroboi, great review!

All he needs to do to make me believe it as something factual is to give the science behind his explosive power of ethanol verses benzine statement.. I have always thought that the ethanol was the one that had the purity and explosive power way over Benzine.

E20 RON 99, so this makes up for a bit as compared to 91 gasahol, especially if tuned for it

http://www.pttplc.com/en/Products-Services/Consumer/For-Vehicle/PTT-Blue-Innovation/Pages/PTT-Gasohol-Blue-E20-Test.aspx

Bit off topic, but we find similar between shell v-power and the standard diesel. Better economy and performance with the v-power which evens out the cost saving of regular. You might save at the pump with regular but will be going to the pump more often. As they say here, same same.

Plus its cleaner burning and better for the engine as well.... allegedly.

Couldn't agree more

And the smoke factor is minimal with V power vs other fuels