Some things never change in Thailand

thaibeachlovers

WELL?....why did a pie cost in the 90's....with peas thanks.

180 baht now around here...thats nearly $2 AUD dearer than in OZ.....per pie w00t.gif

My God, we are doomed I tell you.....

I bought 4 pies, 4 and 20 the other day from Coles, on special 5 dollars.

I could take those same pies to bangkok and make a profit.(sauce is extra btw)

Yuck. Food with no taste.

Like the 99baht breakfast?

What changes have you noticed ND?

Right no 4 and 20 for Neverdie.

Enjoy that pickled mud fish.

Next you'll be telling me you don't eat pasties ;)

Real men don't eat quiche.

Edited by neverdie

A few things did change: For example:

During my first visit to Thailand in 1996, I had a "full-time / 24 hour" hostess for 3 weeks. I paid her way and since she didn't smoke nor drink the expense was very little. Upon my departure, I gave her the royal-sum of 5000 BHT. She was extremely pleased.

A co-worker, visiting Pattaya in 1992 claims, that ladies would walk up to a Farang at Pattaya beach to offer a free "trial-run", hoping to land a 24/7 hostess-job !

The good old days, I suppose..............

Other than that, I find the smiles far less genuine than in 1996. Back then, I felt as a "guest" that was truly welcome. Nowadays the smiles are being disbursed strictly according to the size of the Farangs wallet.

If this phenomenon were restricted to tourist-hubs only, I would just shrug it off, but the same applies to rural areas these days, as I have discovered over the last 3 years living in rural Thailand.

Must confess: I liked the old days better...................

Indeed, a few things have changed, haven't they !

Cheers.

• Like 2

I hear you Swissie. My pals many of whom have now moved on but were here in the "Golden Years" of the late 1990s/early 2000s are now mortified when they return by the fact that a stonking good night out in Lower Sukhumwit can no longer be had for less than 100£, (inc.company)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

During my first visit to Thailand in 1996, I had a "full-time / 24 hour" hostess for 3 weeks. I paid her way and since she didn't smoke nor drink the expense was very little. Upon my departure, I gave her the royal-sum of 5000 BHT. She was extremely pleased.

A co-worker, visiting Pattaya in 1992 claims, that ladies would walk up to a Farang at Pattaya beach to offer a free "trial-run", hoping to land a 24/7 hostess-job !

Other than that, I find the smiles far less genuine than in 1996. Back then, I felt as a "guest" that was truly welcome. Nowadays the smiles are being disbursed strictly according to the size of the Farangs wallet.

If this phenomenon were restricted to tourist-hubs only, I would just shrug it off, but the same applies to rural areas these days, as I have discovered over the last 3 years living in rural Thailand.

Cheers.

I hear you Swissie. My pals many of whom have now moved on but were here in the "Golden Years" of the late 1990s/early 2000s are now mortified when they return by the fact that a stonking good night out in Lower Sukhumwit can no longer be had for less than 100£, (inc.company)

It's called progress you want to spend so little for so much go find a country that's lower down the economic ladder. Try myanmar maybe try the karen tribe areas.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Cheers.

It's called progress you want to spend so little for so much go find a country that's lower down the economic ladder. Try myanmar maybe try the karen tribe areas.

Indeed your supremeness. Did you ever recover the money you had scammed out of you. Till then I'd refrain from offering life advice to others Edited by windbreaker

You printed out and kept copies of ThaiVisa threads?

Interesting ones, yes, all of them, no. The ones in the OP come from a list of headlines that used to get published, don't think they do anymore.

Back then I had a lot of time on my hands, but it's not something I'd do these days- too busy with other things.

most of my pals who came to Thailand in that era now say that the place has changed beyond recognition from then.

Beaches certainly have. The days of really cheap basic huts have gone, buried under concrete and horizon pools. If I wasn't too lazy, I'd change my username to "usedtolovethaibeaches"

• Like 1

Yeah. The mid 90s were the "golden age" of Nana Plaza. Hollywood Royale in NEP was the place and it rocked till daylight every night.

Can't discuss prices on here, but trust me they were pretty low back then.

• Like 1