Has anyone recently renewed child's British passport?

going round in circles - need to renew a 5 year old's red UK passport

Advised to use VFS/UK Govt, services (although VFS seems to focus on visas)

Via VFS website I seem to be unable to book appointment

Website says use Gov.UK website to download forms.

Cannot apply online from Thailand

So has anyone just achieved what I ask in the topic subject and if so can I pm you? Thks

Wondering if it's my computer that has problems!!

I've used the one just outside the Jomtien immigration office for passport photos in the past. Worked out OK. I would also think you could stop into the photo shops at the various malls around town and explain to them what's needed. They "should" be able to help you out...."should".

Orac - I am looking at guidance notes and application form (for UK of course) and cannot find what you refer to. Help me to try to help you please

From the link Upnotover provided above there is a further link for supporting documents required giving a pdf which, if you go to Table A, lists proof of name/address documents that they accept.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/342795/Supportingdocs2AUG2014.PDF

Edited by Orac

I agree that part of Table A is really unclear. At first glance I am not sure I could provide any of those, save for stuff in my passport. It doesn't even mention a driving license which here in Thailand shows our address. I suspect your suggestion will suffice

As a point of interest while rummaging & scurrying through earlier related internet stuff I noticed that Brits since early last year have been complaining of the difficulty they were having in simply renewing UK passports.

Despite promises of ensuring govt. docs are in clear English I am now convinced that these revised UK websites were created by some jobsworth who rarely gets out into the real world and tries to use actually use such sites

I agree that part of Table A is really unclear. At first glance I am not sure I could provide any of those, save for stuff in my passport. It doesn't even mention a driving license which here in Thailand shows our address. I suspect your suggestion will suffice

As a point of interest while rummaging & scurrying through earlier related internet stuff I noticed that Brits since early last year have been complaining of the difficulty they were having in simply renewing UK passports.

Despite promises of ensuring govt. docs are in clear English I am now convinced that these revised UK websites were created by some jobsworth who rarely gets out into the real world and tries to use actually use such sites

I assume that the Tabian Baan with translation is what they are looking for in the case of my daughter since it is the 'official' residence document here and issued by the government. For myself when i come to renew I assume a Cert of Residence from Immigration with translation will do the trick - just wondering if anyone has actually gone through the process recently and can confirm?

HMPO accepts a Certificate of Residence issued by Thai Immigration offices.

Jomtien Immigration will issue the certificate in English if you tell them it is for a non-Thai passport renewal. Not sure about other ones; you would need to make inquiries.

HMPO will also accept a translation of a Yellow Book if issued by a certified translator, ie. the certified translator needs to either emboss or stamp, sign and date the translation. From this, I would assume that a certified translation of a Blue Book will also qualify.

HMPO require that the ORIGINAL of either document be submitted with the application.

Edited by NanLaew

Jomtien Immigration will issue the certificate in English if you tell them it is for a non-Thai passport renewal. Not sure about other ones; you would need to make inquiries.

HMPO will also accept a translation of a Yellow Book if issued by a certified translator, ie. the certified translator needs to either emboss or stamp, sign and date the translation. From this, I would assume that a certified translation of a Blue Book will also qualify.

HMPO require that the ORIGINAL of either document be submitted with the application.

Good info thanks. Not keen on giving them the Blue Book for my daughter if they hold on to it for a while so sounds like the Cert of Residence is the way to go. Do you know if they would have a problem issuing one if it is for a half thai child?

Good info thanks. Not keen on giving them the Blue Book for my daughter if they hold on to it for a while so sounds like the Cert of Residence is the way to go. Do you know if they would have a problem issuing one if it is for a half thai child?

Sorry, I will clarify: HMPO will need the ORIGINAL of the Certificate of Residence or the ORIGINAL TRANSLATION of either the Blue or Yellow books.

Eligibility for the child to get a UK passport entirely depends on the eligibility of the parent(s) claiming UK citizenship themselves.

British Citizenship By Descent Or Otherwise
Every British citizen is either a British citizen otherwise than by descent or a British citizen by descent.
This difference is important because the type of citizenship people have decides the way in which they can pass British citizenship on to their children who were born outside the United Kingdom.
A British citizen otherwise than by descent, can automatically pass on British citizenship to a child born outside the UK. You can be a British Citizen otherwise than by descent by:
1 Birth
2 Registration
3 Naturalisation
4 Adoption
A British citizen by descent is a person born outside the UK and is acquired if one or both parents are British citizens. This means that you cannot automatically pass on British citizenship to any child who is born abroad. You are a British citizen by descent if:
5 You are born outside the UK to a parent who was a British citizen at the time;
6 It does not matter whether the birth took place before or after 1 January 1983 as long as a child who was born before that date became a British citizen on that date;
7 On 31 December 1982, he or she was a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies through:
a his or her own birth, or
b a parent's or a grandparent's birth,
c legal adoption
d naturalisation
e registration
8 You lived in the UK while a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies for five years at any time before 1 January 1983, and was not subject to restrictions under the immigration laws at the end of that five year period.
9 You are a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies by connection with the Falkland Islands and Dependencies (i.e. South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands).
You can look at this for clarification.
  • Like 1