Bangkok Administration undeterred by 'curse' of Ratchapisek Road

webfact

BKK Authorities Undeterred By 'Curse' of Ratchapisek Road
By Khaosod English

14206384611420638603l.jpg
Local residents have placed zebra dolls on the bridge above Ratchadapisek Road to ward off alleged malevolent spirits. 7 Jan 2015.

BANGKOK — Officials at the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) say they will go ahead with plans to remove offerings to "ghosts" on Ratchapisek Road, despite locals' claims that the offerings are needed to ward off a supernatural curse.

Supit Kraimak, director of Chatuchak District Office's Department of Public Cleanliness, said the BMA will remove the hundreds of zebra dolls and bottles of red-colored soda blocking pedestrian pathways on the flyover bridge above Ratchadapisek Road. Some bottles of soda have also spilled onto the road below, he said.

The zebra dolls and soda bottles were placed there by local residents who believe the offerings will appease malevolent spirits that are said to inhabit the area. According to local belief, the spirits are responsible for the many accidents on Ratchadapisek Road.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1420638461&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-01-08

So now the drivers have to honk their horns and wai to the holy zebra-dolls above them, whilst hitting the pedestrians at the zebra-crossing in front of the car!!

Makes sense.........................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

...............The zebra dolls and soda bottles were placed there by local residents who believe the offerings will appease malevolent spirits that are said to inhabit the area. According to local belief, the spirits are responsible for the many accidents on Ratchadapisek Road.............

You couldn't make it up!!! cheesy.gif clap2.gif giggle.gif blink.png

• Like 1

Beyond belief!! what rubbish some people believe.

After my accident, i am in hospital on life support.

Wifes family went to the temple to pray for me. They spoke to a senior monk,who told them my accident was caused by a !!GHOST!!

Who pushed me off my motorbike under the pickup that hit me.

Might it not just be the poor driving combined with excessive speed?

Yeah, < insert preferred deity here > forbid that they actually take responsibility for anything rather than blaming anything and everything except themselves.

Road accidents are caused (in the main) because of the stupidity and/or irresponsibility of the people involved, simple as that (I'm not including the "victims" of accidents in that statement of course).

...............The zebra dolls and soda bottles were placed there by local residents who believe the offerings will appease malevolent spirits that are said to inhabit the area. According to local belief, the spirits are responsible for the many accidents on Ratchadapisek Road.............

Indeed, talking snakes and burning bushes spring to mind, never mind such concepts as the original sin, or the virgin birth.

yes you really couldnt make this crap up.

• Like 1

Ardens sed virens.

Burning but flourishing, thought only English on here.

Thankfully Martin Luther came along and freed us from such rubbish, that coupled with the printing press.

A topic for another day.

Latin, does anyone study it these days, is there any need for it?

Never mind, as you were.

• Like 1

Me. I did Latin to A level

Should I refer to you as Dr, or your holiness?

Do the ladyboys on soi 6 or Beach rd understand you in Latin?

Wow - I didn't know the Pope was a TVF member. Guess he'd be o k with Zebras - not much difference from rosary beads, crucifixes, hail mary's and all the other catholic meaningless rituals that the catholic church flog off to their supporters. Bottle of holy water anyone?

• Like 1

Perhaps I'm not as familiar with ladyboys or Beach Road as you are?

What has an African animal to do with Thai spirits in Bangkok? What kind of logic..., oh I get it: The Thai spirits encounter the zebras on the bridge and become totally confused and forget about making mischief. Makes sense.

I asked my (Thai) step-son this question. He said he didnt know, but thought it might have something to do with "

being safe on a Zebra crossing" !!!

Perhaps I'm not as familiar with ladyboys or Beach Road as you are?

Think Rgs2001uk uses Greek when having meaningful intercourse with the ladyboys.

• Like 1

Third world!

Stupid remark.. how is this any different from Christianity.. no proof for that either yet millions and millions believe in it. It is just as credible (not) as this.

I always wonder how religious people can slander other religions and beliefs while theirs are also not proven.

Your remark might be ok if your an atheist, then you can make comments as then you have no crazy religion.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2