Schengen questions

Quick question... Does my partner have to apply for this at an embassy in thailand?

Can she do it at a UK based embassy with the same docs - which this time would also have a booked and paid for return flight?

If not can this be done in a short time frame in Thailand or better still while retaining her passport?

Thanks

It depends on her nationality, her marital status and where she is resident.

If she's Thai and lives in Thailand, she should apply there.

If she is resident in another country, she can apply there.

She would normally only be allowed to apply in a country she's visiting in an emergency.

• Like 1

However, if she is the qualifying family member of an EEA national, e.g. spouse, then she can apply in any country; even if only in that country as a visitor.

Provided she will be travelling to the Schengen country(ies) concerned with or to meet her EEA national family member.

Edit; Partners don't qualify as family members unless they are:

1. same sex partners in a recognised, legal civil partnership or
  2. unmarried partners. Different countries have different rules for qualification as an unmarried partner, but at the very least you would need to show that you have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least the last two years.
Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

To avoid any potential hassle I'd request an appointment via e-mail (directly at the embassy). They should (must) offer you a slot within 2 weeks of the request being made. Some Schengen embassies won't mind if you just walk in, but they will tell you if it ain't mentioned on their website. You could argue that to provide every facility no appointment would be needed at all EU/EEA embassies, but if you are not in a rush I wouldn't be bothered about it.

One last question do I have to book an appointment or can I just stroll my with my EU directive under my pocket and get the application there and then?

It depends on which Consulate you intend to apply at, some Consulates try to make it as difficult as possible to apply direct and direct you to their Visa Application Centre, for which of course they will charge a fee.

The French for instance hide the fact that you can apply direct in the depths of their website, and when you have found the information you then have to call to make an appointment.

The Dutch however are far more reasonable and allow spouses of, non Dutch, EU nationals to drop off applications, from 14.00 - 15.00 on Monday to Thursday, without an appointment.

The Dutch actually answer emails promptly as well, I find them quite refreshing.

• Like 1

It's the French embassy I need as that's the first country we will be in! Better get emailing!

This many help:

The Embassy of France in Thailand authorizes TLScontact to inform and advise the public on the visa applications procedures, to receive the visa applications, collect the fees and return the passports to the applicants at the end of the process.

This outsourcing ensures a better reception to the public, in a dedicated center and in a timely manner. It also results in a faster processing of the applications by the Visa Section. The applicants who do not wish to use the services of TLScontact have the opportunity to submit their application in person at the Embassy of France in Bangkok, only by appointment, made by calling 02 696 3888 Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and after recording on the TLScontact website.

https://www.tlscontact.com/th2fr/login.php

It's the French embassy I need as that's the first country we will be in! Better get emailing!

You need to be aware that the French can be very bloody minded when it comes to an applicant who is also spending time in another member state.

I'm aware of one instance where an applicant was entering Schengen through Paris, spending time there before visiting the UK, was returning to Paris for a couple of days and returning to Thailand from there.

The applicant had also planned a side trip to Italy, they thought they should apply for their visa at the French Consulate, believing that this satisfied the requirements. The French worked out that the applicant was spending a few hours longer on Italian soil then French and refused to issue the visa.