Should I just butt out?

Gecko123

Would a Vietnamese greet another Vietnamese in a Wallmart in rural Arkansas? coffee1.gif

JT you obviously never had a Thai (ok not Vietnamese) back in your home country. You will be surprised how after you have a Thai gf all of a sudden Thais appear from nowhere and they all start to meet and greet and come to your home.

facepalm.gif I've already said multiple times on this thread that I think the answer is definitely YES.

That you assumed I thought the answer is no has nothing to do with me. It's your filters.

Cheers.

Lazy me.. did not read it al.. Mea culpa.

I always say hello back but I never take the GF shopping it takes far to long that way and I either take the car or the big bike never a honda wave.. so it was not me.

You'd stand out from all them other puny farang ?

Been watching the avengers have we....

puny human

puny god

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

Would a Vietnamese greet another Vietnamese in a Wallmart in rural Arkansas? coffee1.gif

JT you obviously never had a Thai (ok not Vietnamese) back in your home country. You will be surprised how after you have a Thai gf all of a sudden Thais appear from nowhere and they all start to meet and greet and come to your home.

I must agree.

I brought my Thai wife to california for six years before relocating to Thailand.

My job required me to relocate several times.

Every time we moved, Thai people would find us and treat us like family, finding good jobs for my wife, showing us the best places to find real Asian food, Thai children for ours to play with.

I was amazed.

I started to jokingly refer to it as the Thai Mafia and was happy to be a member!

• Like 2

I must agree.

I brought my Thai wife to california for six years before relocating to Thailand.

Every time we moved, Thai people would find us and treat us like family, finding good jobs for my wife, showing us the best places to find real Asian food, Thai children for ours to play with.

I was amazed.

I started to jokingly refer to it as the Thai Mafia and was happy to be a member!

You were lucky.. the group that connected with my ex was not that good. Constant jealousy and comparing what husbands would give for salary to the wife and discussing ways to get more money. I am sure there are good groups but that group she came into certainly was not.

• Like 1

Got to admit I'm suffering a bit of a culture shock. I'm used to the kind of people the OP describes when living in Thailand and forgot what it was like at home.

I'm home in NZ at the moment and everybody you make eye contact with (on the street, in a shop, at the servo, at the café, at the supermarket) says gidday or owzitgaan or see the game last night or something along those lines. Bit of a difference from the westerners you meet in Thailand.

Although having said that, I reckon in Thailand Aussies and Kiwis generally make a point of talking to each other when we here the accent. It usually goes along these lines:

Aussie: Wheres ya come from sport?

Kiwi: Noy Zilind, liddle placed call Whakamangatanookarampuka. Where you from mate - Ozzie rite?

Aussie: Yeah orm an Aussie sport, strooth I fort you wuz an Aussie too. Do ya bring ya Velcro cloves on 'oliday wiv ya?

Kiwi: Nuh mate, I always borrow a pair from the firs' Aussie I meet. You'd know where the Pattaya Sheep Farm is wodden ya.

I've only been to NZ once and I was amazed at how nice and friendly the people were. I took a walk in a housing estate in Christchurch where I had a homestay and everyone I passed spoke to me. I was shocked!! All good though! It is the only country outside of LOS that I would consider living in.

WTG Kiwis

• Like 1

fifty / fifty

When I see another farang, it's like when magnet repel each other. I will look, and if they give any indication they want to be left alone, I leave it at that.

I prefer a nod. However, half of the time, it is not returned.

I glare at you & you hear my teeth clash, I start twitching and you wish you never saw me in the flesh. ? Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

Got to admit I'm suffering a bit of a culture shock. I'm used to the kind of people the OP describes when living in Thailand and forgot what it was like at home.

I'm home in NZ at the moment and everybody you make eye contact with (on the street, in a shop, at the servo, at the café, at the supermarket) says gidday or owzitgaan or see the game last night or something along those lines. Bit of a difference from the westerners you meet in Thailand.

Although having said that, I reckon in Thailand Aussies and Kiwis generally make a point of talking to each other when we here the accent. It usually goes along these lines:

Aussie: Wheres ya come from sport?

Kiwi: Noy Zilind, liddle placed call Whakamangatanookarampuka. Where you from mate - Ozzie rite?

Aussie: Yeah orm an Aussie sport, strooth I fort you wuz an Aussie too. Do ya bring ya Velcro cloves on 'oliday wiv ya?

Kiwi: Nuh mate, I always borrow a pair from the firs' Aussie I meet. You'd know where the Pattaya Sheep Farm is wodden ya.

By ignoring both of you I am saving you from me asking what you are saying every 5 seconds, but I will give a smile and a tip of the hat from a distancebiggrin.png

I must agree.

I was amazed.

You were lucky.. the group that connected with my ex was not that good. Constant jealousy and comparing what husbands would give for salary to the wife and discussing ways to get more money. I am sure there are good groups but that group she came into certainly was not.

I think the difference is he was in California, which has a large number of normal Thai families, not just 'mia farang' bar girls like in many places.

I don't see what's so strange, as humans we try and seek out what feels most comfortable to us, you live in as people say "Nakhon, or Sakhon Nowhere" you will be inclined to look for people who are, if they aren't like minded at least look similar, its human nature....as Bruce Springsteen said "Ain't no body like to be alone"

Edited by Smurkster
  • Like 1

Wow, I've been reading these blogs for some time and this one stands out because I live in a small town and rarely see other farangs, but every time I try to connect they never reciprocate. For the most part they are usually here with girl they just met and find this place too boring which is probably a good thing. OK let's hear all the negativity, definitely not a very positive forum. I really don't understand why most the people on this site live here. cheers Vica form Hawaii, USA.

Butt out. Who wants to have "that" conversation?

"Where are you from?"

"X city X country"

"Oh. I have been there. It's great"

"Yeah"

"I am from X city X country"

"Um ok"

"So what are you doing here"
"Um can you wait one second while I blow my brains out?"

BANG! Blood spatter, brains dripping etc etc...

Why not?

In the past I have been in the deepest, darkest regions of Chiang Mai, sometimes sitting or queuing to pay a bill or sitting in a noodle stall at a local market and found myself sharing the same space as another farang. Then just made a simple comment, such as, this is a long queue, or it`s been a hot day today or similar on those lines, then had a response by either a grunt, total no response at all or a look as if I had just trod in a pile of dogs crap. Most of them have faces that could sink a thousand ships, totally unapproachable and these days I would not even consider infringing on their good person by letting them know I exist, something that appears to be strictly taboo with many ex-pats here in Thailand.

I can remember once about 12 years ago when I was at a local market. I saw an American guy who could not speak a word of Thai trying to ask a Thai lady where he could get a key cut. I knew of a key shop that was close by, so I intervened and told the guy, I can show you where to have a key cut. Then i took the guy to the shop, there was no one in the shop and then went to fetch the man who cut the keys. The American gave the man his key to be copied and the key man told the American to come back in 15 minutes. On that note the American just turned his back and walked out of the shop without any acknowledgement to me at all. I chased after the American guy, grabbed his arm and said; where I come from people usually say thank you if you do them a good deed. Then he begrudgingly said thanks and walked off. I thought; you a/hole, I hope the new key doesn`t fit.

In my opinion these people are weird and these days have found it better to blank these farangs if out and about.

Your story reminds me of a little boy, that had a dog follow him home. When they arrived home, the dog was wagging his tail and jumping up and down, wanting to play. But the little boy would not play with the dog or pat his head, because he liked cats, not dogs. Another point, I would be careful about grabbing someone's arm, you don't know. The next time might not have the same result.

A few questions for you: if for example you were in a driving license centre, sitting in the waiting area in a queue waiting to called to collect your driving license, then a normal looking English speaking farang guy sat next to you and after a few minutes begins a conversation, nothing extraordinary, perhaps talking about his experiences at the driving license centre during that day or similar. What would be your thoughts and how would you react?

No problem in the DLC, or a hotel bar/reception, you have something in common.

Random dudes in the street or supermarkets, no, it's just plain weird.

PS

I can pick out Chinese and Koreans, no speaking required, you can spot them by their clothing and body shape.

Burmese amongst Thais also very easy to pick out.

Not so familiar with Vietnamese.

That is BS. There are so many regions of China, so much intermarriages, and generations of assimilation that you can't make distinctions.

Clothing styles? If you are Chinese or Korean heritage in US or Canada for 5 generations, or the same in Thailand you don't still wear traditional clothes. My best mate back home you couldn't tell if he was Chinese or Japanese heritage as his look is in between and he carries himself as a Canadian.

• Like 1

Some of your comments are so rude, what is wrong with nodding a greeting to a stranger on eye contact, you have some things in common, ie the guts to get out in the world and enjoy retirement , most of you inc me with some eye candy on your arm.. An acknowledgement does not mean meet me for drinks or come to dinner and bore me with your life story, it's just polite to let people know you are not a zombie.

• Like 1

A few questions for you: if for example you were in a driving license centre, sitting in the waiting area in a queue waiting to called to collect your driving license, then a normal looking English speaking farang guy sat next to you and after a few minutes begins a conversation, nothing extraordinary, perhaps talking about his experiences at the driving license centre during that day or similar. What would be your thoughts and how would you react?

PS

I can pick out Chinese and Koreans, no speaking required, you can spot them by their clothing and body shape.

That is BS. There are so many regions of China, so much intermarriages, and generations of assimilation that you can't make distinctions.

Clothing styles? If you are Chinese or Korean heritage in US or Canada for 5 generations, or the same in Thailand you don't still wear traditional clothes. My best mate back home you couldn't tell if he was Chinese or Japanese heritage as his look is in between and he carries himself as a Canadian.

There is a big difference from a Japanese or korean living their whole life in Canada or USA compared to one from their native country visiting on holiday here in Thailand. Maybe that's what he meant. I lived in Japan and find it extremely easy by gestures, movements and clothing to tell if they are actually from Japan or from the west. For sure the "average" one in the states or Canada is taller and if it's a guy is usually more muscular etc and they just carry themselves very different than one born and raised in Japan or Korea. That's all. So you are right your Canadian friend acts like a Canadian. The guys and girls on Soi Thaniya act and look like they left tokyo this week.

I live in Isaan, south of Surin. There seem to be more farang living near here, than when I first came, last December. Most of them I see at Big C, either in the food court or store. The ones I see shopping are usually with their wife, baby(s) and mil in tow and are always, standing in the middle of the aisle, oblivious to the fact, no one can pass. My interaction with them is an "excuse me" and I continue my way. If they ask me a personal question, I might answer, depending on the question. Something along the line of, where I'm from or how long I've been here, but will not engage in a long conversation. I would not have a longer conversation with a farang in Thailand, than a complete stranger, in my home country. My longest conversation with a farang was when standing in an atm line. When he finished his transaction, he stopped and asked in broken English, if I spoke English. I told him "Yes". Do you live in Surin. I answered "Yes." Next question, "I have friend, that needs lawyer." Do you know any lawyers in Surin." I told him "No, But maybe you should be ask a native Thai." "Thank You, goodbye" Just because you see a farang and he doesn't talk too you, you make the assumption, that he is non social and a prick. But he is not your long lost friend. I have my family and that is what's most important too me. Oh, before I close. I'm an American and proud to say it.

• Like 1

PS

There is a big difference from a Japanese or korean living their whole life in Canada or USA compared to one from their native country visiting on holiday here in Thailand. Maybe that's what he meant. I lived in Japan and find it extremely easy by gestures, movements and clothing to tell if they are actually from Japan or from the west. For sure the "average" one in the states or Canada is taller and if it's a guy is usually more muscular etc and they just carry themselves very different than one born and raised in Japan or Korea. That's all. So you are right your Canadian friend acts like a Canadian. The guys and girls on Soi Thaniya act and look like they left tokyo this week.

He didn't differentiate "here on holiday."

He said he could pick out one country from another and suggested obviously, and I'm suggesting it's not so cut and dried.

Many of my students are of Burmese, Chinese, some Korean, and a few Japanese descent, not to mention tribal northern peoples. It is Not obvious what ethnicity people are as

easily as was suggested.

There are foreiegners everywhere around here.

If someone speaks to me I will of course answer them as it would be ignorant not to.

Why do I have to talk to you?

Because you have a similar skin tone?

Do Asians all stop and greet each other for the same reason?

At best a nod or smile should suffice ...

There are foreiegners everywhere around here.

If someone speaks to me I will of course answer them as it would be ignorant not to.

Why do I have to talk to you?

Because you have a similar skin tone?

Do Asians all stop and greet each other for the same reason?

At best a nod or smile should suffice ...

You don't have to talk to me, most people I see say nothing to me at all but if you did speak to me for whatever reason I wouldn't just ignore you like some psycho.

• Like 1

Why not?

In the past I have been in the deepest, darkest regions of Chiang Mai, sometimes sitting or queuing to pay a bill or sitting in a noodle stall at a local market and found myself sharing the same space as another farang. Then just made a simple comment, such as, this is a long queue, or it`s been a hot day today or similar on those lines, then had a response by either a grunt, total no response at all or a look as if I had just trod in a pile of dogs crap. Most of them have faces that could sink a thousand ships, totally unapproachable and these days I would not even consider infringing on their good person by letting them know I exist, something that appears to be strictly taboo with many ex-pats here in Thailand.

I can remember once about 12 years ago when I was at a local market. I saw an American guy who could not speak a word of Thai trying to ask a Thai lady where he could get a key cut. I knew of a key shop that was close by, so I intervened and told the guy, I can show you where to have a key cut. Then i took the guy to the shop, there was no one in the shop and then went to fetch the man who cut the keys. The American gave the man his key to be copied and the key man told the American to come back in 15 minutes. On that note the American just turned his back and walked out of the shop without any acknowledgement to me at all. I chased after the American guy, grabbed his arm and said; where I come from people usually say thank you if you do them a good deed. Then he begrudgingly said thanks and walked off. I thought; you a/hole, I hope the new key doesn`t fit.

In my opinion these people are weird and these days have found it better to blank these farangs if out and about.

The main reason why he's so rude to you is he's American...
. He was probably Canadian... The American Bashers are coming out of the Woodwork Again and Again

I've seen this story before.

You seem to be insecure and the one in need of personal contact. You are not likely to get that from a stranger because you are not someone they know, and yes, you could be a panhandler or any kind of con artist, thief or pickpocket. I definitely want you to leave me alone. If you want to meet people go to bar or some club where some drunk is likely to let you get your feel good feeling by invading his privacy......really weird post in my private alone do not disturb me opinion.

• Like 1