Bangkok: 17 students hospitalized after taking hypnotic drug

webfact

17 Students Hospitalized After Taking Hypnotic Drug
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK — Seventeen students at a secondary school in Bangkok were rushed to the hospital after they reportedly took hypnotic drugs at school.

Doctors say their conditions are "gradually improving," though some are still the under influence of the drug, which has been identified as Nimetazepam, a powerful sleeping pill.

Ratchapol, the director of the school in Samaedam district, said a number of students have told him that a ninth-grade student distributed the pills during a school sporting event on 7 January.

"Some students then started to act intoxicated, and they couldn't go home, so we sent them to hospital because we were afraid they might be in danger," Ratchapol said. "The doctors told me they consumed severe type of hypnotic drug that could kill them if they overdosed."

Several students were at already home when their parents noticed their strange behavior. One 13-year-old eighth-grader refused to talk to his family and went straight to his room, prompting his father to suspect that something was amiss.

"I tried to ask him what the matter was, but he didn't make sense at all," said Praphat, the boy’s father, who eventually decided to send his son to the hospital.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1420794681

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-01-09

I wouldnt be surprised if for many this was their first experience with narcotics, booze included. And that entire family of drugs they took could be quite a surprise for a few since they would of never felt or expecting to feel any of those effects. I'd imagine extreme sedatives would be a whole less fun to do than the illicit ones, they are way less fun than booze.... but thats me. Think now my gf is abusing these now, always sleepy, lethargic doesn't make sense.... come to think of it a few other girls i know are like this.

nothing new, we used to take a bunch of travel sickness pills (a fair few) and trip off our heads at the sports carnivals..

This is a true story, at my school a kid in the year above me decided to take 11 and a half ecstasy pills in an ICT lesson. Subsequently went into a coma and nearly died.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

nothing new, we used to take a bunch of travel sickness pills (a fair few) and trip off our heads at the sports carnivals..

This is a true story, at my school a kid in the year above me decided to take 11 and a half ecstasy pills in an ICT lesson. Subsequently went into a coma and nearly died.

Should have just taken the whole E mate.. whistling.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Should have just taken the whole E mate.. whistling.gif

Yeah I don't know why he took 11 and a half and not 12, he snorted the half so I was told. They were green Ferrari's. The pretty harsh thing on the part of the head master was he told his parents that he was excluded from school whilst he was there in a coma haha...

"One 13-year-old eighth-grader refused to talk to his family and went straight to his room, prompting his father to suspect that something was amiss.

"I tried to ask him what the matter was, but he didn't make sense at all," said Praphat, the boy’s father"

Sounds like an average thirteen year old to me.

Certainly sounds like me at that age.

• Like 2

Should have just taken the whole E mate.. alt=whistling.gif>

Yeah I don't know why he took 11 and a half and not 12, he snorted the half so I was told. They were green Ferrari's. The pretty harsh thing on the part of the head master was he told his parents that he was excluded from school whilst he was there in a coma haha...

Snorting half an E , I bet that smarted

"One 13-year-old eighth-grader refused to talk to his family and went straight to his room, prompting his father to suspect that something was amiss.

"I tried to ask him what the matter was, but he didn't make sense at all," said Praphat, the boy’s father"

Hahahaha , yep sounds like my Son every night

• Like 1

go to hospital because you took a sleeping pill? Yep, sounds like a Thai alright

It's not JUST a sleeping pill. This is Singapore's take on it.

IMETAZEPAM

[http://www]

Also known as

'Erimin-5'.

Description

'Erimin-5' is a type of depressant taken orally by the user in tablet form. Depressants are drugs which help a person to calm down and sleep. However, excessive use will lead to harmful effects.

Effects and Dangers

Loss of consciousnessDistorted judgement, sight and thinkingDifficulty in speaking, moving and co-ordinating bodily functionsPoor memory and concentration

Withdrawal Symptoms

Anxiety and jittery feelingsInsomnia (difficulty in sleeping)Nausea, vomiting, quickened heart beat, excessive sweating, violent shaking and stomach crampsMental confusionFits

Penalties

Possession or consumption of Nimetazepam:

Up to 10 years of imprisonment or S$20,000 fine or BOTH

Illegal traffic of Nimetazepam:

Up to 10 years of imprisonment and 5 strokes of the cane

Illegal import or export of Nimetazepam:

Up to 20 years of imprisonment and 15 strokes of the cane

Not as harmless as some of you may think? Let us see what the penalty handed out here in Thailand is?

In Hong Kong, nimetazepam is regulated under Schedule 1 of Hong Kong's Chapter 134 Dangerous Drugs Ordinance. Nimetazepam can only be used legally by health professionals and for university research purposes. The substance can be given by pharmacists under a prescription. Anyone who supplies the substance without prescription can be fined $10000 (HKD). The penalty for trafficking or manufacturing the substance is a $5,000,000 (HKD) fine and life imprisonment. Possession of the substance for consumption without license from the Department of Health is illegal with a $1,000,000 (HKD) fine and/or 7 years of jail time.

(Ref. Wikipedia[7]

If I had been taken to the hospital every time I acted like that I'd have moved into it.

If I had been taken to the hospital every time I acted like that I'd have moved into it.

Your all making jokes about drugs that have been proven to cause immense problems hence the restrictions and custodial sentences.

&nbsp;

Clearly no limits to stupidity, not even in the schools.....................coffee1.gif

Hope the kids recover and have learnt a lesson!!

&

could you please bring to my mind just ONE example where this country has successfully "learnt a lesson" ? I doubt there is any......

Edited by THAILIBAN
  • Like 1

go to hospital because you took a sleeping pill? Yep, sounds like a Thai alright

It's not JUST a sleeping pill. This is Singapore's take on it.

IMETAZEPAM

[http://www]

Also known as

'Erimin-5'.

Description

'Erimin-5' is a type of depressant taken orally by the user in tablet form. Depressants are drugs which help a person to calm down and sleep. However, excessive use will lead to harmful effects.

Effects and Dangers

Loss of consciousnessDistorted judgement, sight and thinkingDifficulty in speaking, moving and co-ordinating bodily functionsPoor memory and concentration

Withdrawal Symptoms

Anxiety and jittery feelingsInsomnia (difficulty in sleeping)Nausea, vomiting, quickened heart beat, excessive sweating, violent shaking and stomach crampsMental confusionFits

Penalties

Possession or consumption of Nimetazepam:

Up to 10 years of imprisonment or S$20,000 fine or BOTH

Illegal traffic of Nimetazepam:

Up to 10 years of imprisonment and 5 strokes of the cane

Illegal import or export of Nimetazepam:

Up to 20 years of imprisonment and 15 strokes of the cane

The symptoms sound a bit familiar, do they use it for ear infections ?

Your all making jokes about drugs that have been proven to cause immense problems hence the restrictions and custodial sentences.

Kids unfortunately do stupid things , I did , everyone I know did. Its part of how you learn to be a responsible person in adulthood . If you go down the "Drugs , bad , death and destruction road, they won't believe you or anything you say. Many people do drugs and don't die or become addicts and enjoy it and then grow out of it. 17 of them taking a heavy duty sleeping pill in school just shows you their naivety. Yes its bad yes its wrong , but they just learned a lesson I doubt they will forget

• Like 2