Fast Track Visa

If your wife really needs an application to be fast tracked she must have travelled in the previous 5 years to the UK, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or to a country in the Schengen Area, the fast track fee is £100 on top of the visa fee. Standard applications seem to be taking a tad over a week.

If you really need an agent, and most don't as a reputable agent will advise you, then I would only recommend Thai Visa Express who are sponsors of this forum.

Visas need to be applied for online after which a visit to the Visa Application Centre is required, full details here: http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/thailand/index.html

• Like 1

theoldgit, ubonjoe, Thank you, My wife has not yet traveled to the UK, this will be her first time, we are hoping to go in April, this is why I ask about fast tracking as I've heard it can take a while, the reason for the agent would be solely to speed things up.

Using an agent wouldn't speed things up, but a reputable agent would ensure that there were no mistakes in the application.

My partner applied just before Christmas, her visa was issued in eight working days, so you've got plenty of time.

There is only one application centre and that is in Bangkok, and a visit is mandatory, even if an agent is used. Passports can be returned by courier.

A separate visa, Schengen, will be required for Spain, though as your wife that should be issued free under the EU freedom of movement directive.

• Like 1

Hi sooplosh66 ur miss dosent need shengen visa to go Spain aslong as she travels with u! If ur British citizen!

In theory yes, in practice not that straightforward, travelling without a visa could well result in a carrier denying boarding, or problems at the border when attempting to land.

Best to apply for a visa at the Spanish Consulate, as I said before the visa should be issued free under the EU rules, it should also be issued promptly and no financial evidence or evidence of accommodation is required.

See the helpful stickie by Donutz http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724180-schengen-visa-faq-when-applying-from-thailand/

• Like 1

Hi sooplosh66 ur miss dosent need shengen visa to go Spain aslong as she travels with u! If ur British citizen!

In theory yes, in practice not that straightforward, travelling without a visa could well result in a carrier denying boarding, or problems at the border when attempting to land.

Best to apply for a visa at the Spanish Consulate, as I said before the visa should be issued free under the EU rules, it should also be issued promptly and no financial evidence or evidence of accommodation is required.

See the helpful stickie by Donutz http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724180-schengen-visa-faq-when-applying-from-thailand/

Thank you once again, all this info has prompted me to search further and I think we should be okay, I will post our story on same thread when completed and let you all know how it went, thanks so much for taking the time to supply feedback, appreciated.

Sploosh66

• Like 1

One question, theoldgit:

I am a north European citizen outside the EU. Would it be more difficult for me to visit Spain with my wife during our stay in my country, or is it just about the costs? And what if we weren`t married, as I have a friend in that position? We want to travel all four of us, first a roundtrip in my country, then a one week holiday in Spain.

Do you know anything about this? Btw, my wife needs a Schengen visa to visit my country, which we take care of, but I am still outside the EU.

Answers would be appreciated.

Edited by thaibreaker

I am a north European citizen outside the EU. Would it be more difficult for me to visit Spain with my wife during our stay in my country, or is it just about the costs? And what if we weren`t married, as I have a friend in that position? We want to travel all four of us, first a roundtrip in my country, then a one week holiday in Spain.

Do you know anything about this? Btw, my wife needs a Schengen visa to visit my country, which we take care of, but I am still outside the EU.

The Freedom of movement applies to spouses of EEA Countries as well as EU Countries. so whilst Norway isn't in the EU it is part of the EEA so the rules apply, and of course Norway, where I believe you're from, is in the Schengen area, so I think your wife should be able to get an expedited free visa as the spouse of an EU/EEA country national exercising the right of free movement.

Regarding you question about unmarried partners, some countries interpret the rules differently from others, some allow unmarried partners and some don't. I don't know for sure about the Spanish, but they are quite strict in their requirements under the free movement directive even for married couples, for instance they require an approval letter of Marriage from their respective Embassies along with the Thai Marriage Certificate adding that just a stamp on the Thai Marriage Certificate from the respective Embassy will not be adequate, so I suspect that they wouldn't allow a free movement visa to unmarried partners - but I don't know for sure..

The Freedom of movement applies to spouses of EEA Countries as well as EU Countries. so whilst Norway isn't in the EU it is part of the EEA so the rules apply, and of course Norway, where I believe you're from, is in the Schengen area, so I think your wife should be able to get an expedited free visa as the spouse of an EU/EEA country national exercising the right of free movement.

Regarding you question about unmarried partners, some countries interpret the rules differently from others, some allow unmarried partners and some don't. I don't know for sure about the Spanish, but they are quite strict in their requirements under the free movement directive even for married couples, for instance they require an approval letter of Marriage from their respective Embassies along with the Thai Marriage Certificate adding that just a stamp on the Thai Marriage Certificate from the respective Embassy will not be adequate, so I suspect that they wouldn't allow a free movement visa to unmarried partners - but I don't know for sure..

Thanks for your answer.

We have some time, the best time for a roundabout in Norway combined with a holiday in Spain is in a few months, so we will clearify this with the Spanish embassy in Norway.

Thanks again wai.gif

• Like 1

With "family member of an EU/EEA national" visa, some countries (UK, Spain, French, ...) can be a bit more challenging as they tend to ask for more then the bare minimum legal requirements. So it's always best to check with the embassy (website) what their specific current requirements are. Technically you would not need a hotel booking for instance as a written statement (stating that the couple will travel together) of the EU spouse should be sufficient but as said, some are a bit more notorious. It might be easier to supply a booking if it's not too much hassle.

Thai who are family of an EU/EEA citizen can apply from any place in the world, regular Thai applicants need to apply from Thailand.

• Like 1