PIADS vs. BIS

andreww

Folks,

We're choosing a pre-school for our boy (with prospects to attend same institution till K-12), and living in Bangtao, we have only 3 viable options: KIS, BIS and PIADS.

Kajonkiet's educaitonal methods are offputting to say the least (they make 2 y.o. to sit through 2x45 mins language classes! Actual classes, with desks and blackboard, not some modern type of learn-thru-play curriculum), and their facilities in Cherngtalay are rather poor, so KIS is out of the equation.

BIS is apparently most well-established, and PIADS is its direct competitor.

We visited both schools, and were genuinely impressed by PIA facilities: fantastic quiet location, far from roads and with constant breeze from Khao Phra Theo, full-on sports equipment (even with rockclimbing walls and a skate-park), fresh healthy local organic food, good teacher:students ratio, everything is new etc.

Their mindfullness approach is appealing as well. And we like the location (as most other families will be from North Phuket, so easier to organize playdates, birthdays etc).

So basically, can someone say anything bad about PIADS that can render BIS as a better school for a child? I realize very few people have practical experience with both schools, but any reasonable argument is appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by andreww

The are both pretty good.
I'd go with location and proximity to your home.
No one wants to see their kids spend 2 hours a day riding a bus. (well most anyway)

Go for the closer one and give them piano lessons for that extra hour they'd be riding a bus.

They'll thank you for it later.

• Like 1

Each school has their own ethos etc. So, hard to give advice, both as a teacher and parent.

Some children fit in better in some schools. Are you not able to get a free trail week at PIA and BIS? You could get a feel for each?

Just a side note on KIS. While the phrase international school might be bandied around about the Kajonkiet Cherng Talay campus - it is an English language nursery. KIS is Kajonkiet's actual international school in Kathu.

Edited by Blindside
  • Like 1

I can't justify the price for BIS. It's beyond reason. PIA is a little cheaper but it's facilities are second to none.

I'm from a country where school is free so it's all expensive to me.

Prices of PIA and BIS are almost identical now.

Schooling is free in Thailand too but if you want the best you've gotta pay for it.

I can't justify the price for BIS. It's beyond reason. PIA is a little cheaper but it's facilities are second to none.

Schooling is free in Thailand too but if you want the best you've gotta pay for it.

Attached are the prices.

PIA is much better value. It's actually over 100k a year cheaper once at high school age.

post-147411-14208982364895_thumb.jpg

post-147411-14208982486053_thumb.jpg

Edited by hansgruber
  • Like 1

yep, PIA's fees structure is more reasonable, especially that buildings and grounds fee (which is government imposed capital levy): half of it is waived in PIA if a child is enrolled starting from nursery years. Not 100% certain how they do it, but that's what happens afaik.

Edited by andreww

Just put my kid into PIA. Hang I should have done that three years ago. Best move I ever made for my daughters education. Stuff the fees, a growing child's education can never be compared to money. Look after the children, my vote is PIA for sure, 100%. No contest for BIS.

• Like 1

PIA preschool 315,000 vs BIS 310,000

How is that more reasonable?

Not the money that counts here. BIS on two major roads with all the gasses from the exhausts going via wind into the school. No international sports teams or persons using their premises to train. PIA, international sports teams and individual stars use their training facillities. No roads with cars blowing poisonous exhaust fumes into the school grounds, no noise and cooling mountain winds. You want to save THB 5000.00 , you are a cheap skate. You obviously dont send your kids to a good school. Maybe youre a government school teacher?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

there're some other fees&charges&levies involved, which make BIS more expensive (at least in the first year). But for those, who ready to pay 300-500k p.a. for school, such difference is rather minor anyway.

In the long-term, I'm certain that PIA's fees will surpass BIS' ones, as they (PIA) really seem to have vision for XXI century schooling, and that vision takes enormous resources to realize.

Spent last 8 hours on PIADS' website, reading all sorts of handbooks, another good thing about PIADS — they're extremely open and elaborate about whole education process, probably way too open in some areas. Just look at their welcome pdf for people who moved to Phuket: http://phuketinternationalacademy.com/files/PSG/Welcome_guide_for_new_PIA_families.pdf

it's probably the most extensive Phuket intro I've ever seen. I wish I had it 3 years ago when we moved here. :)

Edited by andreww
  • Like 2

I was talking about once they hit high school age. Year 7 and beyond.

It's 130k difference per year and what I consider a far superior facility and program.

The sports facilities alone is what attracted me.

I'm not saying BIS is a bad school, but it's hard to justify the cost when a little further up the road has a much better vision for a substantial saving.

Go for a inspection and I'm sure you'll be impressed.

• Like 1

Not the money that counts here. BIS on two major roads with all the gasses from the exhausts going via wind into the school. No international sports teams or persons using their premises to train. PIA, international sports teams and individual stars use their training facillities. No roads with cars blowing poisonous exhaust fumes into the school grounds, no noise and cooling mountain winds. You want to save THB 5000.00 , you are a cheap skate. You obviously dont send your kids to a good school. Maybe youre a government school teacher?
If international sport teams are using it it can't be as bad as you make it out to be. And isn't international sport teams using it s positive?

BTW, your post would have been much better without the flaming.

• Like 1

Attached are the prices.

PIA is much better value. It's actually over 100k a year cheaper once at high school age.

A quick question, out of interest, what, exactly, is EOTC?

I know it stands for "Education Oside The Classroom" but what do the do and/or where do they go?

This term wasn't around when my kids were at school.

Also, I see BIS is nearly 30% more expensive than the PIA school.

Given facilities are similar, and the teachers equally qualified and experienced, I agree, it's a little hard to justify.

Edited by NamKangMan

Attached are the prices.

A quick question, out of interest, what, exactly, is EOTC?

I know it stands for "Out Of The Classroom" but what do the do and/or where do they go?

This term wasn't around when my kids were at school.

Excursions or field trips. Visit museums or whatever they are learning about.

BIS had been pointed out as being higher priced. Seeing as the OP is looking at Pre-school in this case BIS is actually cheaper.

I think it's also amusing that the Thanyapura facilities are thought of as PIA's. What facilities does PIA actually have? I think you'll find that BIS has far more and they actually are used by international stars and teams.

As a side note I don't teach and never have and don't have kids. If I were to have kids I would send them to BIS, given the far higher pupil numbers at BIS that is what most parents with the money would do here on the island despite what you might read on TV.

BIS had been pointed out as being higher priced. Seeing as the OP is looking at Pre-school in this case BIS is actually cheaper.

I think it's also amusing that the Thanyapura facilities are thought of as PIA's. What facilities does PIA actually have? I think you'll find that BIS has far more and they actually are used by international stars and teams.

As a side note I don't teach and never have and don't have kids. If I were to have kids I would send them to BIS, given the far higher pupil numbers at BIS that is what most parents with the money would do here on the island despite what you might read on TV.

Both PIA and Thanyapura are affiliated.

I thought that was common knowledge.

http://www.thanyapura.com/school/

http://www.phuketinternationalacademy.com/about-pia/campus-sitemap

You have no kids so what's your interest? You obviously know nothing about either school.

Edited by hansgruber

You have no kids so what's your interest? You obviously know nothing about either school.

So to be more factual PIA has no facilites but has the use of someone else's who's are quite good.

So to be more factual PIA has no facilites but has the use of someone else's who's are quite good.

No. They are one in the same. Even the logo is very similar. Look at the site map in the second link I posted and see its all the same facility.

You have no idea what you're on about but still posting and making a fool of yourself.

What's your agenda when you have no kids and don't teach?

Edited by hansgruber

"Both PIA and Thanyapura are affiliated." - what would happen if there was a problem with that "affiliation" in the future?

Would PIA be unable to use the facilities, or are they common property through contract?

I don't have kids here and I am not a teacher - just interested on a slow forum day.

"Both PIA and Thanyapura are affiliated." - what would happen if there was a problem with that "affiliation" in the future?

Would PIA be unable to use the facilities, or are they common property through contract?

I don't have kids here and I am not a teacher - just interested on a slow forum day.

Jesus. It's the same company.

Thanyapura name only exists so it can be a sports facility to outsiders, teams or whomever, not just students of the school hence the facility having hotels for athletes.

Why is that so hard to understand? The website explains this.

Jesus. It's the same company.

Thanyapura name only exists so it can be a sports facility to outsiders, teams or whomever, not just students of the school hence the facility having hotels for athletes.

Why is that so hard to understand? The website explains this.

J"esus. It's the same company." - well, you know what Thai Companies are like. biggrin.png

Dunno about intl. teams training in BIS, but always heard (and seen it myself last week) European olympic athletes training in PIA pools.

Of course, it's the same company and certain facilities are shared (like large oval or olympic pools), but PIADS itself has little things like skate park, rockclimbing wall, 40cm pool (pre-k kids actually have swimming "classes" weekly! My son just turned 2, and he's a confident swimmer already regardless of depth, but he defo will enjoy safe pool time with 10 other kids), separate kids club (small scale of Patong kids club), etc. Gazillion of such small things make big difference to larger picture.

Another benefit — parents get complimentary Tanyapura membership... i mean, we live in phuket, pretty much everyone's got a gym and pool access, but it's nice to have access to tennis courts, larger pools etc. Short school days will encourage your own gym time (instead of driving home for couple hrs and back).

We'll give another fresh look to BIS next week, but BIS overall looks rather aged and somewhat conservative comparing to PIA.

Edited by andreww
  • Like 1

If international sport teams are using it it can't be as bad as you make it out to be. And isn't international sport teams using it s positive?

BTW, your post would have been much better without the flaming.

International sport teams are using PIA for training, not BIS. At PIA the enrollment of a child entitles the whole family to membership to Thanypura Sports Centre. Also PIA have and excellent restaurant and bar facility to eat at. PIA all the way.

• Like 1