Prayuth Lectures Thai Children on "Knowledge and Morality"

Lite Beer

Blinkers still very tight I see - there are absolutely no indicators that the economy is improving. It's a basket case at the moment and worse than it was. All we have as your "indicators" are vastly over optimistic government predictions.

As to whether it's worsened since the coup - these have been linked to over and over in these forums. That you only see what you wish to see is fairly well established in these pages.

But try this - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/webmobile/business/BOT-cuts-growth-forecasts-for-2014-and-2015-30250767.html The Bank Of Thailand's figures in Sept were heavily revised downwards in December - after the coup. Ignore the predictions, look at the actual.

How about (12 days ago): http://www.cnbc.com/id/102297056#. "Thailand's export woes have been a big factor in economic recovery not getting on track after the army seized power in May."

Companies are moving away, the EU is at arm's length and banks don't want to know about Thailand. There is a ton of this stuff out there if you want to pay attention. But, of course, you do not - in the same surreal way you blame the "reds" for all the violence last year.

One hopes it does improve for everyone's sake, not least the Thai people, but it's not healthy.

Wonderful..Show me a graph then that highlights that under the PTP the economy improved in 2013 and a graph that showed the economy worsened under the Junta in 2014..

Just one graph..

I bet you can't because when your at rock bottom the only way is up.

And as inept that the Junta may be at running a country they can only go up and this is what all economic indicators show.

Kind of off topic aren't you?

Correction:

Way off topic.

But, since you insist, are you claiming the short timer, un-elected PM is resposible for the already rising growth and forecasts? blink.png

Replete with your beloved graphs:

http://data.worldbank.org/country/thailand#cp_wdi

Not to mention, your assuming stats of the current, non-elected junta which are simply not available.

Nice try.

Disingenuous at best.

1.The SET had gained 3.6 percent since the military seized power and in fact going by this graph the SET is climbing like a rock climber on yaba! Junta cannot control that narrative can they? Maybe the SET graphs is in my imagination like yingluck said inflation was? Maybe. Doubt it, but maybe.

2.Under the PTP and the daily terrorist attacks proven to be orchestrated by the people you defend the economy contracted by 2.1 percent. The banks forecast a 5.5% growth under the Junta. Are the Junta controlling these economic indicators? I don't think so? Maybe fake news?

3.The Thai consumer confidence data dropped month after month during the daily terrorist attacks orchestrated by the people you defend and when the Junta took power it climbed month after month. The Junta cannot control that narrative can they? I don't think so? Maybe this is fake news as well. Fake graphs maybe?

4.When you look at the Coincident and Leading Economic Indices, Private Consumption Index, Private Investment Index, Manufacturing Production Index, Capacity Utilization, Housing Price Index, Effective Exchange Rate and Business Sentiment Index here it doesn't really follow you agenda driven "Economy has taken a dive" narrative? In fact these indices indicate a strong robust re bounce after the daily terrorist attacks led by the people you support. Junta cannot control this narrative can they?

5.The Thai baht seems to think the coup was a stabilizing and positive end to a deadly stalemate as well as is shown here. Can't see the Junta controlling this narrative either? Can you?

Facts with dates override your beliefs….

As always, you have a selective choice of indicators, i.e. (I'm a bit tired of quoting the same sources, but obviously you always ignore them, so let's start again):

"This year it is likely to grow by only about 1%, far less than in 2013 (see chart). Consumer spending has recovered somewhat since the coup. But investment, tourism, exports and industrial output are all down."

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21635605-new-political-order-takes-shape-thailands-elites-vie-position-next

you can look also at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/02/opinion/thailand-and-the-coup-trap.html?_r=0

More details:

Tourism: put 2013 as first year and you see 2014 curve is under 2013 (not a big surprise)

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/tourist-arrivals

Export:

On the external side of the economy, exports of goods and services dropped 4.0% in Q3 (Q2: -0.6% year-on-year). Meanwhile, imports fell 1.1%, which represented a much softer contraction than the 9.0% decrease observed in the previous quarter. As a result, the external sector’s net contribution to overall economic growth fell from 5.2 percentage points in the second quarter to minus 2.4 percentage points in the third quarter, thus marking the lowest level since Q2 2012.

http://www.focus-economics.com/country-indicator/thailand/investment

Production:No so good compared to 2013, remains at -3.5%

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/industrial-production

Capacity utilisation: not improving

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/capacity-utilization

You try to hide the truth by attributing the loss of GDP in 2014 to the "terrorist attacks" from red shirts supporters, but all serious sources are rightly attributing it to PDRC protests and related movements that have blocked Thailand's economy, and also democratic solutions such as elections. Suthep himself admitted that its aim was to provoke a coup and welcomed the coup by "We have won!". Pdrc and Junta are obviously part of the same political faction.

So this political faction, through different modalities, is responsible for 3% to 4% GDP loss in 2014 (1% or less compared to forecast of 4 to 5.2%), that is between around THB 400 billion and THB 500 billion.

As for your figure of 5.5% growth in 2015, no one believes in it, i.e.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/homeThailands-2015-growth-regional-laggard-World-Bank--30244886.html

(If I remember well, the BOT also reduced its forecast crecently)

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Slowly (?) but surely moving Thailand backwards!!

While the feudal masters and their mighty sponsors are applauding with their fat greasy palms!!

What is wrong with: "Knowledge and Morality"?

Depends on who seeks it:

"There is a road to freedom. Its milestones are Obedience, Endeavor, Honesty, Order, Cleanliness, Sobriety, Truthfulness, Sacrifice, and love of the Fatherland." - Message, signed Hitler, painted on walls of concentration camps; Life, August 21, 1939

just found this pic on csi la

what the...morality is high

10933959_773155886095472_457793806367580

I'll give the kids a pass.

They only know what those dimwits in the back have taught them. wai2.gifwai.gif

The mind simply boggles. Is that real photo or some kind of joke setup ?

I admire the kid who prefers an ice cream to a gun.....

The one with ice cream is planning a coup! He is a General travelling incognito.

Anyone that can stop the daily terrorist attacks in Bangkok in an instant without firing a single bullet and can greatly curb the unrest in the deep South of which has never been done under any previous government has certainly earned the respect and the right to speak on knowledge and morality.

He is certainly not the best PM Thailand has ever had, but he has admirable intentions and shows a wealth of humanity.

Imagine where Thailand would be now if Prayut did not not step in and show these human qualities. Going by all economic indicators it would be a failed state now.

perhaps you've finally joined the dots and solved the puzzle. You just haven't seen it yet. Look harder at what you just wrote. I think you're on to something.

WOW. Carbon dioxide has risen under the Junta!!!

Show me a graph that indicates the economy has suffered after daily terrorist attacks have stopped?

Do you honestly believe that instability will encourage economic growth? Do you?

Do you not understand that stability and peace fosters economic growth?

Why even argue with me.

I am right..

Nice try.

No, I was being generous.

Pathetic try.

Dispense with your rhetoric.

Stick to the graphs. laugh.png

"I am right.."?

BTW;

Ellipsis ("omission" or "falling short") is a series of dots that usually indicates an intentional omission.

cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

To reiterate...

Show me dates...

See post #62

laugh.png

Anyone that can stop the daily terrorist attacks in Bangkok in an instant without firing a single bullet and can greatly curb the unrest in the deep South of which has never been done under any previous government has certainly earned the respect and the right to speak on knowledge and morality.

He is certainly not the best PM Thailand has ever had, but he has admirable intentions and shows a wealth of humanity.

Imagine where Thailand would be now if Prayut did not not step in and show these human qualities. Going by all economic indicators it would be a failed state now.

Jamie, the sort of selective truth and gratuitous misreading of the facts you daily employ in these forums to suit your agenda would no doubt make the general a very happy totalitarian. However, if the events of the last week have shown the world anything, it's that the freedom to speak, express and the need to tell the truth are more precious than any attempt to cower these values, regardless of your championing of such.

Economic indicators? Perhaps you missed the much repeated news about how much your hero has cost the people of Thailand in the last six months? Or did you block that as you seem to block anything that conflicts with your pre-determined worldview?

Wonderful and I appreciate your input.

I hear a lot of talking, but I do not see one graph that proves me wrong.

Show me a graph that proves you right and me wrong..

One. Just one.

i think your own links show that.

a week or so ago, you posted a set of links.

every single one showed levels well below the 2013 numbers.

it's always possible to find the low point and start your graph there, but...

the point which cannot be denied is that the protests and the coup (yes, I link them, and feel that this is a reasonable position to take) cost the economy and the Thai people a lot of money.

PS: yes, the protests in 2010 also cost the economy money, however, they lasted only 2 months and there was no coup, nor was there martial law for the next 8+ months.

Edited by tbthailand

dj - I know you like to say 'daily terrorist attacks'.

I remember periodic violence. I remember it coming from both sides.

I used to walk right through the PDRC protest area. And yeah, the Big C attack was a shocker - and horrible. But I was there many times before and many times after and don't recall 'daily' attacks at all. Just saying.

As for the south, I would point out that it has been the military which has been responsible for the operations in the south for the last decade. That's also been a long-running tragedy, but I don't perceive it getting better just because we had an 'intervention'.

28 dead 700 injured.

24 dead and 650 injured at the hands of UDD terrorists.

So yes both sides, but one side a bit more.

Talk about the blind leading the blind. Jeeze.

Sorry general, but Thailand's ship sailed quite some time ago. Now the country is spiraling the drain with no rescue in sight. You are NOT the white knight you think you are.

"Reading books, learning from experience, learning from facts, all these are knowledge."

Every single economic indicator on Thailand shows Thailand "spiraling the drain" up to the coup and when the coup happened every single economic indicator shows the country recovering. Every single one. There is not one single indicator that reflects what you say. Not one. Not a single one.

I always read these doom and gloom comments, but it is never backed up with facts. It is a belief.

This is what the Prayut is teaching the children. To listen to facts. To learn from facts.

Facts are the country is recovering from 7 months of street violence. That is a fact and if people have not learnt that the terrorist attacks were wrong and crippling the country then it will happen again and again and again.

Seems that there is lessons in Prayuts teachings for you too.

Happy children's day my friend.

The GDP of Thailand is much lower than the neighbors and dropped since Prayut took over.

What are the indicators you're talking about?

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/gdp-growth

(ignore period of political violence)

"Slow economy has forced the Planning agency NESDB to cut growth forecasts for the fourth time this year. It expects the GDP to expand by 1 percent, as compared to 1.5-2 percent target in the previous forecast. Private consumption is expected to grow 0.7 percent and investment to contract 1.9 percent. The headline inflation is likely to remain subdue at 2.1 percent while the current account tends to record a surplus of 2.9 percent of GDP. "

Wonderful..

Though this GDP graph shows otherwise.

To think an economy is healthier under a government that let daily terrorists attacks occur with impunity or a government that stopped daily terrorist attacks and brought peace and stability is naive at best.

Does Afghanistan have a booming economy? Or Syria?

Do you not understand peace and stability fosters a robust economy?

He continued, "And what is morality? It is knowing what is good, and doing it. Don't do what is bad. Always have ethics and think of other people. Be generous. As for 'leading us to the future,' if you are not moral people, and if you are not knowledgeable, you will be doomed. You won't have any certain future. You may be in jail, or lose your jobs, or become addicted to drugs."

but an act of treason through a coup is just fine crazy.gif

• Like 1

Yes IMO Thailand need a progressive leader at the moment, to break the deadlock!!

No, but let me ask you a question: Does it need a progressive leader-style at the moment? Or would it be already good enough to have peace till the next elections?

For the last decade Thailand has fallen way behind their SEA neighbors because the "haves" refusal to realize that their time is running out.

IMO Prayut is just another desperate attempt to keep a feudal system, way past its expire date, in place!!

I for one would like to see either Surin Pitsuwan or Korn Chatikavanij in charge of this country, both guys with an open mind and visions!!

That would move Thailand forward!!

Anyone with an overseas education would be useful, although maybe not a US state university eg Kentucky or was it Kansas, Dorothy.

Morality and sustainability are the keywords to keep the population in place!!

Prayuth Lectures Thai Children on "Knowledge and Morality"

Reading today’s news only I guess he’s a little late with his lecture:

22-Year-Old Shot Dead After Turning Down Snooker Challenge

Pattaya: Russian Tourist Attacked For 'Not Buying Watch'

‘Mafia island’: From paradise to bloodshed

Reminds me of the former man in charge --good ole Dubya 44

When hes sitting there reading the book to the kids...then the

staffer comes in and whispers in his ear..

Its the same dead eye -1000 mile stare i see at gawking thais daily

keep up the good work Master P......(smoke and mirrors in the magic world)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Going by all economic indicators it would be a failed state now."

In three months we'll know if indeed that is what Thailand will become. The emerging economic slowdown of Gen. Prayuth's two economic trade partners Russia and China may have a chilling effect on his plans for economic sustainability in Thailand.

Slowly (?) but surely moving Thailand backwards!!

While the feudal masters and their mighty sponsors are applauding with their fat greasy palms!!

What is wrong with: "Knowledge and Morality"?

To keep it within forum rules, let me ask you a question:

Do you think Prayut represents a regressive leader-style??

Corrected your word to reflect what progressive actually means. ;)

No he does not in answer to your question.

Morals? Oh, I dunno. Perhaps not taking over a nation at gunpoint, destroying democracy and the constitution for a whole population would be a good start. Maybe putting a few kids in a propaganda an educational video cheering a pic of Adolf Hitler isn't a great idea either.

Just sayin'

Well, Thais like self-sufficient countries with a rags-to-riches leader and that's one of the reasons I guess they won't treat him like the bogey-man.

dj - I know you like to say 'daily terrorist attacks'.

I remember periodic violence. I remember it coming from both sides.

I used to walk right through the PDRC protest area. And yeah, the Big C attack was a shocker - and horrible. But I was there many times before and many times after and don't recall 'daily' attacks at all. Just saying.

As for the south, I would point out that it has been the military which has been responsible for the operations in the south for the last decade. That's also been a long-running tragedy, but I don't perceive it getting better just because we had an 'intervention'.

28 dead 700 injured.

24 dead and 650 injured at the hands of UDD terrorists.

So yes both sides, but one side a bit more.

I think you just like to hear yourself talk.

laugh.png