How to sell a car for a good price?

sidjameson

GF has a car, mitsubushi Mirage. 3 years old. Auto. 60,000km

She needs to sell urgent as its in pawn shop now costing 4k a month in interest.

She has 200k left on car loan.

I have no idea. How to sell and what price to aim for?

Dealer or private? As needs to pay off loan she needs to sell sooner rather than later.

If car is sold before 5 years, then the tax rebate has to be paid back.

For mirage I think it was about 90,000 baht depending on model.

After paying off remaining loan 200k + 90k tax rebate there will not be much over.

Try to find a friendly buyer and wait 2 years with officially transferring ownership.

Here is your competition in a buyers market.

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/TbSch3F_40.aspx#mk:33+md:665

As you can see not selling at 219,000

Would anyone touch one of these with 60.000km and warranty gone ?

If you want to sell this it will most probably be under 200,000 B. The market is flooded with the first car scheme cars with no one buying.

As said you will have to pay back the tax rebate (90-100k) and loan (200k) and will there be an early pay off fee on the loan ?

Edited by arthurwait

She needs to sell urgent as its in pawn shop now costing 4k a month in interest.

I have no idea. How to sell and what price to aim for?

Dealer or private? As needs to pay off loan she needs to sell sooner rather than later.

I'm really confused the pawn shop actually paid money against it even though it's on the 5 year scheme ....and on loan from (presumably) a bank. wow 1st time I've heard of that. Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

Agree with other posters - if it's on the 1st car buyer scheme, either pay it out and keep it forever to get some value out of it (out of pocket 200K, but have the car), or talk to the pawn shop and see if they are interested in taking the car as payment, amicably (out of pocket <100K, but don't have a car).

Do not assume that going to the pawn shop and giving them keys and papers will be the end of the encumbrance though - they maybe don't want it, maybe can only sell it for small money, and either way, the rebate has to be repaid before it can be sold.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Here is your competition in a buyers market.

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/TbSch3F_40.aspx#mk:33+md:665

As you can see not selling at 219,000

Would anyone touch one of these with 60.000km and warranty gone ?

If you want to sell this it will most probably be under 200,000 B. The market is flooded with the first car scheme cars with no one buying.

As said you will have to pay back the tax rebate (90-100k) and loan (200k) and will there be an early pay off fee on the loan ?

Quote: "The market is flooded with the first car scheme cars with no one buying"

That is exactly what a friend of mine was told when he wanted to sell his two-year-old car, top in its range, in immaculate condition with only around 15,000 km on the clock.

It wasn't one of the "first car scheme cars", so it had no tax rebates on it, yet he still got only 40% of its original purchase price and that was sold privately, rather than to a dealer who wanted to pay him a lot less.

I have to agree with "arthurwait" on this, as regards the pricing, sorry to say.

Bit confused

Quote from OP

Pawn shop gave here the 200k ? or she owes the finance company 200k ? or she owes Finance Company [bank?] 200k + whatever she got against the car from the Pawn shop ?

Paying the loan + tax rebates back is just about what the car is worth in A1 condition at a tent retail, but what involvement has the Pawn shop got ?

If car is sold before 5 years, then the tax rebate has to be paid back.

For mirage I think it was about 90,000 baht depending on model.

After paying off remaining loan 200k + 90k tax rebate there will not be much over.

Try to find a friendly buyer and wait 2 years with officially transferring ownership.
Does the buyer get to wait 2 years to make payment?

she borrowed 60k on the car from the pawnshop.

She owes 200k on the finance.

Pawn shop is 7% a MONTH on the 60k!!!!!!!

Bit depressing really.

If she walked away from the car, she wou8ld still have to pay the loan right?

Why do not you help her out?

Repayments on the car would not be more than 5-6k per month if that

Bit depressing really.

Has she still got the 60k and the 90-100k rebate ?

Who owns it now then the finance company or the pawn shop ? I assume it's the finance company and she can not legally pawn it ?

Did you find out if there is an early loan pay off fee ?

Bit depressing really.

Sod that, just run.

• Like 1

Bit depressing really.

Not 100% sure how pawning is done with cars but in case of land, the actual ownership is transferred to the pawn shop (or person who gives you the money) and if you cannot pay back the money with interest, the land can be sold. I assume it's the same with the car. The pawn shop would sell it and pay back the finance company afterwards. But this is only my assumption based on the practise with land and property for pawning in Thailand. 7% per month is very very high. For land it's usually around 2-3% per month.

Bit depressing really.

Is she still paying the Finance Company ? normally if no repayments for 3 months then they will repossess the car.. many will go to Auction with a reserve of what is owed + admin fees + Auction fees..

Would think that will leave her with repaying the Pawn Shop + the new car rebate back, so guess walking away she will still have to sort out a way to repay these + have no car and have a bad credit reference

Is the Finance Company aware the car is in a Pawn shop ? has she talked to the Pawn shop on options of selling the car, feel sure she is not the 1st person to get in a fix

Edited by ignis

I've only bought one car on hp in Thailand.

I do vaguely remember that the car was in the finance company's name until we paid the loan off.

This was a good few years ago but if it's still the case why would a pawn broker advance money on a car not in her name.

Like I said could be well out of date just interested.

Bit depressing really.

Not 100% sure how pawning is done with cars but in case of land, the actual ownership is transferred to the pawn shop (or person who gives you the money) and if you cannot pay back the money with interest, the land can be sold. I assume it's the same with the car. The pawn shop would sell it and pay back the finance company afterwards. But this is only my assumption based on the practise with land and property for pawning in Thailand. 7% per month is very very high. For land it's usually around 2-3% per month.

I would have thought that legally the finance co would be the owners of this car.(200k loan)

The lady who drives it and the pawn shop wouldn't have a say in selling or buying the car

for that matter.

Bit depressing really.

Sod that, just run.

EXACTLY.

Bit depressing really.

I would have thought that legally the finance co would be the owners of this car.(200k loan)

The lady who drives it and the pawn shop wouldn't have a say in selling or buying the car

for that matter.

That's the way I see it

Bit depressing really.

The maximum legal rate of interest in Thailand is 15% per annum. For terms of less than a year, I believe it's 1.5 percent a month...and these are rates for UNSECURED loans.

Bit depressing really.

The maximum legal rate of interest in Thailand is 15% per annum. For terms of less than a year, I believe it's 1.5 percent a month...and these are rates for UNSECURED loans.

I believe it had gone up to 30%. As the unsecured bank loans are 29.9%.

Could be wrong though. I imagine they have different rates for different types of lender.

Bit depressing really.

If you buy a motorbike on HP the interest is likely to be at least 2% per month.