$46. Can this be any good?

papa al

I have a similair one, Fox ( or Copy) bought in Thailand, It's basicly mesh with pieces of body armour.

Mostly used by MotoX riders but suitable for street use with a long sleeve shirt or jacket over it.

$ 46,- sounds reasonable I believe I paid around 1250/1500 THB for it.

post-143096-0-84649700-1420977880_thumb.

Agreed with RSD. Don't get a copy get a real one if that what you want. Those I've been looking at are $180 and up. May as well stuff some syrafoam under your shirt, may work just as well as that ebay armor, if not better.

I'd imagine with a denim jacket over it that it would probably offer the same amount of protection that a decent textile or mesh jacket would offer with their stock pads.

I doubt it- I would bet the stitching on the straps is poor in comparison to something like like A* or similar, that the mesh tears easily, and that the pads would tend to move out of place in the event of an impact (which is what the reviews of similar no-name products often refer to). The fact nothing is CE-rated means that there will be more force transmitted to the rider rather than dispersed over the surface of the pads.

When it comes to gear, 'cheap' rarely equates to 'good' unless you're refering to a quality product that's being discontinued and sold at a discount- that's not an elitist viewpoint, but one I've come to over many years of buying varying levels of gear and seeing what you get for your money.

Certainly it's better than nothing in the same way a cheap Tesco helmet is better than nothing, but when a superior option is available for not much more of an expense, I can't see going for something that likely looks the part but also likely doesn't offer the same protection.

• Like 1

Looks good for the money - but it looks like solid plastic protection? So good for abrasion protection if the pads stay in place - but not good for impact?

But got to be better than nothing and not as hot as a traditional bike jacket.

For a low speed spill it should prevent gravel rash and help with a quicker recover - add Kevlar jeans and you're done.

But probably not much help for a higher speed crash? Let us know how you get on with it?

(Does it come in white for the Star-Wars trooper look?)

I'd imagine with a denim jacket over it that it would probably offer the same amount of protection that a decent textile or mesh jacket would offer with their stock pads.

I doubt it- I would bet the stitching on the straps is poor in comparison to something like like A* or similar, that the mesh tears easily, and that the pads would tend to move out of place in the event of an impact (which is what the reviews of similar no-name products often refer to). The fact nothing is CE-rated means that there will be more force transmitted to the rider rather than dispersed over the surface of the pads.

When it comes to gear, 'cheap' rarely equates to 'good' unless you're refering to a quality product that's being discontinued and sold at a discount- that's not an elitist viewpoint, but one I've come to over many years of buying varying levels of gear and seeing what you get for your money.

Certainly it's better than nothing in the same way a cheap Tesco helmet is better than nothing, but when a superior option is available for not much more of an expense, I can't see going for something that likely looks the part but also likely doesn't offer the same protection.

I try and understand that people don't always have (or want to have) the income to have the best of the best in regards to protection, so I was comparing it to the cheaper stuff that comes stock without CE rated (and even just a flat foam back protector) armour.

Your point about the armour rotating has put me off trying out a set; but much of that would be mitigated by wearing a jacket above it I believe. Can't comment about the quality of the mesh as its quality would have to be judged on a case by case basis.