Recomadations on a whipper snipper

WilliamCave

I have about 3 rai land I want to clear all the underbrush from around my trees it is very dense underbrush and I can use it around my house in Nontaburi

I have seen many brands but I am not to familiar or knowleadgeable about them

I want a good quality one must be gas because I do not have power on the 3 rai of land

Any posters have bought them and are happy With there purchase

What brand and size would u recommend ease of maintenance and also the cutter preference

Thanks in advance

Like many things of similar ilk, you do tend to get what you pay for.

I would look for a known brand, we have a Honda powered locally made brand (Don't remember which right now). Definitely go for a 4-stroke engine, slightly more expensive but quieter and less fussy on fuel, no fouling of plugs when someone has used too much / wrong oil etc.

We've had ours for about 6 years now to tend our 1.5 Rai of jungle. Before we built the house I (OK my step-son) used it with the standard two blade brush cutting head, how we have a more garden like jungle it has a nylon-line head which tends not to cut off the sprinkler heads and is kinder to Wifey's plants.

Over the years, apart from oil changes it's been pretty reliable, had to replace fuel pipe and the carb priming bulb but cost was pennies. The plastic shaft clamp broke fairly early on in its life, but the replacement Jubilee Clip (hose clamp) does the job just fine.

It's also had several shoulder harnesses, the decent one I got from the UK is my favourite, nice and comfy for lots of strimming, Step-son likes the cheapie from the local farm shop, no idea why.

Anyone with a modicum of mechanical nouse can look after these little engines, manuals available on-line and parts are readily available and cheap.

Like many things of similar ilk, you do tend to get what you pay for.

I would look for a known brand, we have a Honda powered locally made brand (Don't remember which right now). Definitely go for a 4-stroke engine, slightly more expensive but quieter and less fussy on fuel, no fouling of plugs when someone has used too much / wrong oil etc.

We've had ours for about 6 years now to tend our 1.5 Rai of jungle. Before we built the house I (OK my step-son) used it with the standard two blade brush cutting head, how we have a more garden like jungle it has a nylon-line head which tends not to cut off the sprinkler heads and is kinder to Wifey's plants.

Over the years, apart from oil changes it's been pretty reliable, had to replace fuel pipe and the carb priming bulb but cost was pennies. The plastic shaft clamp broke fairly early on in its life, but the replacement Jubilee Clip (hose clamp) does the job just fine.

It's also had several shoulder harnesses, the decent one I got from the UK is my favourite, nice and comfy for lots of strimming, Step-son likes the cheapie from the local farm shop, no idea why.

Anyone with a modicum of mechanical nouse can look after these little engines, manuals available on-line and parts are readily available and cheap.

Thanks I will be going out today to see some at home pro and Thaiwatsuda I was thinking of the Honda also 4 stroke I will look at options today won't buy until I get to my property in Chiang Khong because that is we're the property is .

Thanks

I have had a couple of 2 strokes and they were a pain.

I am now using a Honda UMK 435 4 stroke which is simple to use and maintain. Parts are easily available from the shops and if you have to you can use non Honda copy parts though they are not so good but run about 1/2 the price of the original.

Mine is about 5 or 6 years old and cost about 8,xxx baht. It is totally original apart from the blades, stone guard, harness etc, basically the consumeable items though I did change the carburettor last month.

Depending on the work that needs doing, a 2 blade metal cutter is fine for general work, the nylon "string" is good for close work among flowers bushes etc but go slowly around them. If you have some really heavy work then you can fit the blade from a circular saw as well.

A word of caution. Stones will come off the metal blade and fly a fair distance and they hurt if they hit you, the nylon is better as the nylon curves around stones rather than hitting them but they still fly.

Something I have learned the painful experience is that short grass and scrub is easier to keep down than long, and dry grass and scrub is easier to cut than wet grass.

The Thai guy who used to do my work had several problems. He was NOT self motivated, he couldn't see long grass even when he walked throughit and he would do the least work that he could get away with.

I do it myself now and at 70 I get the satisfaction of seeing the job done the way I want it too, when I want it done and I get some exercise doing it as well.

I am out doing my land and my neighbours too for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours 5 or 6 mornings a week when it gets daylight and it is still cool.

I wear goggles, steel toecap rubber boots and good leather gardening gloves. I should also wear a long sleeved shirt and a helmet with a visor plus ear defenders. I am partly deaf anyway so I don't bother with ear muffs and I do wear safety glasses rather thah a helmet and vusor simply because of the weight and the fact that the helmet will make my head boil in the heat.

• Like 1

Had a co-worker back in the states, 20 odd years ago, was using his string trimmer, when in the process of letting out some new string, tapped the head on the ground and instead of letting out an inch or two, malfunctioned and let out several feet. He was wearing shorts and the string wound around his leg and thru him to the ground. When he told this story at work the next day, we all rolled with laughter.

Honda UMK435T

Thais tend to say that it is heavy but provided you are not working more than 45 minutes at a time I don't find it a problem.

Avoid the ones with a Honda engine but where the rest is made by whatever Thai or Chinese company. They tend to have steel shafts which adds to the weight and screws up the balance of the tool.

The Honda UMK435T runs on gasohol 91 so no need to mess about with 2T oil. It starts easily. It has excellent reliability and good availability of reasonably cheap genuine parts.

No way I would go back to a two stroke.

• Like 1

Honda UMK435T

Thais tend to say that it is heavy but provided you are not working more than 45 minutes at a time I don't find it a problem.

Avoid the ones with a Honda engine but where the rest is made by whatever Thai or Chinese company. They tend to have steel shafts which adds to the weight and screws up the balance of the tool.

The Honda UMK435T runs on gasohol 91 so no need to mess about with 2T oil. It starts easily. It has excellent reliability and good availability of reasonably cheap genuine parts.

No way I would go back to a two stroke.

I usually work for 30 to 45 minutes at a time before taking a 10 minute break to have a drink, pee, refuel the Honda and if I am using the nylon head then I change the nylon cords. Two sessions like that a day in the morning starting around 06.30 are enough for me, 5 or 6 days a week but at least I am exercising too.

I got a 1800b one from Global, non famous brand, it has done some very hard work, but only about 50hrs total, reached the point that it will cost more to fix than replace. They don't last long, butthen again, easy to buy a new one each year !!!

PS, in rocky ground, the triangle shape blade lasted significantly better, less vibrations and the recantle blade bent and less kick back. They are like 100b !!! change it over.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

• 4 weeks later...

I got a 1800b one from Global, non famous brand, it has done some very hard work, but only about 50hrs total, reached the point that it will cost more to fix than replace. They don't last long, butthen again, easy to buy a new one each year !!!

PS, in rocky ground, the triangle shape blade lasted significantly better, less vibrations and the recantle blade bent and less kick back. They are like 100b !!! change it over.

I bought el cheapo from Thai watsadu, first day worked ok, second day wouldnt start, took back to shop, they actually cut wires off and twisted them together and handed it me back, it ran for about 2 hours than failed again, took it back they sent it off, it came back with a new carb assembly, ran for a day then stopped, took sledgehammer out of store room and repeatedly beat it to death ( I mean it) went out and bought Honda, the cheap ones are useless, staggered u got 50 hours use out of it

I bought my Father in Law a 4 stroke Honda UMK435T Brush cutter many years ago from the downtown location of Ruangsangthai on the recommendation of Mr. Pichai. The Honda 4 stroke brush cutters gets plenty of use in my wife's village. Mr. Pichai works closely with the Honda Power Products and his store is the authorized repair station for Honda brush cutters and lawn mowers for Buriram. He also works very closely with Hitachi Power Tools and the Managing Director of Hitachi Power Tools, Mr. Kazumi Hoida was at Ruangsangthai on Thursday to see the preparations for the 5 day Buriram Home & Tool Expo. The Hitachi Tools, Kanto Tools, Zinsano Pressure Washers, Nippon Paint, Delta paint, Briggs & Stratton will all have women with little technical knowledge in the booths to pose for photos. The Briggs & Stratton SP43-W is one of the few worthwhile 2 stroke brush cutters to consider according to the tool repair department manager who speaks English and Thai in Buriram.

post-20604-0-62929700-1423761359_thumb.j

post-20604-0-74833900-1423761391_thumb.j

post-20604-0-22189500-1423761462_thumb.j

In addition to the Honda 4 stroke brush cutter the OP might want to consider a visit to the Buriram Home Exp that runs through Tuesday afternoon. I viewed brush cutters from Honda | Makita | Briggs & Stratton and Kanto in various booths both inside a large tent and in the builders merchants store.

post-20604-0-27147300-1423932209_thumb.j

post-20604-0-38788200-1423932288_thumb.j

post-20604-0-05659700-1423932461_thumb.j

post-20604-0-24007200-1423932495_thumb.j