Bangkok: Sea water is threatening the source of tap water

webfact

The water tasted weirdly salty when this happened last year. Then I read in the newspaper about the sea water getting into the water supply and realized why. I could certainly do without a repeat of that. It's tolerable, but it's pretty unpleasant to drink.

Normal filters won't get the salt taste out, the filter has to be capable of desalination.

You drink tap water in Thailand ?

I run it through a filter (buy them in home pro ect) and then drink it. It would certainly inconvenience me and many people from BKK. I don't see why farmers should be able to take all the water. Just let them use as much water as someone from BKK would use, fair is fair. That is probably not as much as they normally use but I don't see why they should have more rights to natural resources as other people.

So farmers only get water to drink/shower just like anybody in Bangkok does?

Why do you think they are farmers?

Why would they have more rights as other people on the water ? Fair is fair.. natural resource shared by the people. You can't have some claim much of it when there is not enough.

timmyp, on 12 Jan 2015 - 16:42, said:

The water tasted weirdly salty when this happened last year. Then I read in the newspaper about the sea water getting into the water supply and realized why. I could certainly do without a repeat of that. It's tolerable, but it's pretty unpleasant to drink.

Normal filters won't get the salt taste out, the filter has to be capable of desalination.

You "actually" drink the tap water, don't be so tight, pay your 12baht and buy a 20 liter/litre bottle.

It's not my place, nor my business, to tell anyone how to spend their money or what they should spend it on.

Seems that there are plenty of people willing to direct the lives of others, but without the will to provide the funds to do so.

I run it through a filter (buy them in home pro ect) and then drink it. It would certainly inconvenience me and many people from BKK. I don't see why farmers should be able to take all the water. Just let them use as much water as someone from BKK would use, fair is fair. That is probably not as much as they normally use but I don't see why they should have more rights to natural resources as other people.

Turning off half of the needless aircon in BKK would provide more than enuf water to produce food.

Beyond sad, really.

But for some, I suppose, being cool is more important.

Who actually drinks water from the tap? As far as 2nd croppers go,som num na,welcome to the Issan world.

I do, it's fine.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/764651-ive-been-drinking-the-tap-water-and-i-feel-great/page-5?hl=%2Bdrinking+%2Btap+%2Bwater#entry8488856

But if the sea water trickles in, then it won't taste so good (but it's still unsafe, as far as microbes go)

Turning off half of the needless aircon in BKK would provide more than enuf water to produce food.

Beyond sad, really.

But for some, I suppose, being cool is more important.

You mean because of the water used for cooling and such at electrical generators. It cost far less water for an aircon to run all day then to grow 1 kg of rice

1 Kg of rice requires 2500 liters of water.. That is far more as people from BKK ever use for their aircon. Farmers are hogging the water that can be used by others too. Just share it fairly between the ppl from BKK and the farmers.

http://www.rid.go.th/thaicid/_5_article/6symposium/02.pdf (the water usage of rice)

Why would they have more rights as other people on the water ? Fair is fair.. natural resource shared by the people. You can't have some claim much of it when there is not enough.

Then maybe we here in the north should stop sending food to Bangkok, where do you think the meat and vegetables comes from?! It's not only rice that needs water to grow, I helped my friends to pump water from Ping river last weekend so that their fruit trees wont dry up an die. The problem is not only that the dams are low but also the ground water level is low (at least in my friends farm), January last year they didn't need to pump water as the ground water was standing 50 cm under the surface and last Saturday the level was at about 10-15 cm from the bottom in their 3meter deep well. Thats about 2,5 meter lower level in just one year!

But of course if those living in Bangkok don't want the farmers to grow then we can see how long it take before you complain when there is nothing to eat and maybe we should order a stop in the beer production too... I know where Beer Chang pump their water from. Because as you said why should anyone have more right to water.

And we should share the electricity better too... as most poor farmers only uses fans then you can't use an aircon and how about all those who are still living without electricity here in Thailand?!

And the floods... just let the water go down stream don't do it like last time trying to block it so the farmers lost their crops and belongings, just send the water on to Bangkok! One friend had 5 cm on the first (second) floor 2012, so about 3 meter over ground level or 6 meter over the normal level in the river at her house!

Edited by Kasset Tak
  • Like 1

The water will taste salty even if you use a filter, unless your have a filter capable of desalination (not likely).

But yes, I drink the water straight out of the tap. As far as microbes go, it is fine. At least in Bangkok, anyway. I drink it all over the city, so it's not just my area. I never got sick, not even once (I don't have a super intestine). I think we have prejudices about alot of things, and one of those believes is about the filth of the water here.

I can't say anything about other additives in the tap water such as BPs, etc., but you won't get any digestive problems from drinking the water, even if the salt water gets into the system again as the OP describes (but it will taste unpleasant).

Firsthand proof that the water won't make your poop soupy:

I can't believe I just watched you taking five poops over 5 days, but your juggling, banjo playing distractions somehow held my attention. And yes, I believe you, metropolitan tap water won't give you Bangkok belly straight off. It's not so much the E-coli or other microbes I'd be worrying about, so much as the inorganic chemicals and other toxic substances that might be dissolved in it. Probably won't give you a stomach ache in the short term, but could give you something nasty in the long run. But hey, you live in Bangkok, so you've obviously decided to take the risk with the air you breathe and water you drink in any case, so all I can say is.....stay healthy and keep strumming!

The vid was a creative way to prove a point Timmy, so kudos for that. Feel sorry for your girlfriend who has to record it all tho'. bah.gif

The water will taste salty even if you use a filter, unless your have a filter capable of desalination (not likely).

But yes, I drink the water straight out of the tap. As far as microbes go, it is fine. At least in Bangkok, anyway. I drink it all over the city, so it's not just my area. I never got sick, not even once (I don't have a super intestine). I think we have prejudices about alot of things, and one of those believes is about the filth of the water here.

I can't say anything about other additives in the tap water such as BPs, etc., but you won't get any digestive problems from drinking the water, even if the salt water gets into the system again as the OP describes (but it will taste unpleasant).

Firsthand proof that the water won't make your poop soupy:

This proves that the more you drink it, the longer it takes to poop and the crazier you get. Besides that, it tastes like CRAP haha

post-226746-0-39763800-1421081050_thumb.post-226746-0-39763800-1421081050_thumb.post-226746-0-39763800-1421081050_thumb.

Everyone has just got dumber reading your comment

Edited by Impossible

Sea water is threatening the source of tap water

12-1-2558-11-29-54-wpcf_723x413.jpg

BANGKOK: Bangkokians will have to consume brackish water in February and March because all former governments did ignore the problem of the invasion of seawater into the Chao Phraya and Tha Chin rivers.

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-01-12

This is how it should read like.

But "Environment" is an unknown word for most Thais ... and thus for most government members.

Instead of the standard Thai-bashing we should applaud, that they recognize the problem and intend to do something about it before it is too late!!

It is indeed a very serious problem with dire consequences, if not addressed in time!!

I'm sure there are some that recognised the problem long ago, but their lords and masters refused to do anything about it. This is a simple case of the chickens coming home to roost.

We only need to remember the Thai man that was warning about the tsunami threat, but "you know who" refused to act before it was too late.

As usual, the authorities allow unrestricted building without any thought of the consequences. I see the result of such stupidity even in the small backwater town I live in.

So now they tell the poor farmer who needs his second crop of rice to get food on the table for his family and some money to send the kids to school,,,,No don't plant a crop and don't take water for your crops,,We need that water for the sods in Bangkok.Ok Why don't they be smart for ones and put some giant dams in for the drinking water or farmers,.This is been a ongoing problem,,,,Wake up Thailand LAND OF SLOW,,,time to move faster.

So now they tell the poor farmer who needs his second crop of rice to get food on the table for his family and some money to send the kids to school,,,,No don't plant a crop and don't take water for your crops,,We need that water for the sods in Bangkok.Ok Why don't they be smart for ones and put some giant dams in for the drinking water or farmers,.This is been a ongoing problem,,,,Wake up Thailand LAND OF SLOW,,,time to move faster.

The source of Bangkoks drinking water is drawn from the river..... seriously?

errr Kidding right, then where does the locations uphill from BKK (everywhere mostly) get their water from?

Well those on the river likely get it from the river.

Then maybe we here in the north should stop sending food to Bangkok, where do you think the meat and vegetables comes from?! It's not only rice that needs water to grow, I helped my friends to pump water from Ping river last weekend so that their fruit trees wont dry up an die. The problem is not only that the dams are low but also the ground water level is low (at least in my friends farm), January last year they didn't need to pump water as the ground water was standing 50 cm under the surface and last Saturday the level was at about 10-15 cm from the bottom in their 3meter deep well. Thats about 2,5 meter lower level in just one year!

But of course if those living in Bangkok don't want the farmers to grow then we can see how long it take before you complain when there is nothing to eat and maybe we should order a stop in the beer production too... I know where Beer Chang pump their water from. Because as you said why should anyone have more right to water.

And we should share the electricity better too... as most poor farmers only uses fans then you can't use an aircon and how about all those who are still living without electricity here in Thailand?!

And the floods... just let the water go down stream don't do it like last time trying to block it so the farmers lost their crops and belongings, just send the water on to Bangkok! One friend had 5 cm on the first (second) floor 2012, so about 3 meter over ground level or 6 meter over the normal level in the river at her house!

Typical farmer selfishness we need to grow stuff to sell to you so we use all the water and leave you with none. Electricity you pay for this water you take for free.. see the difference.. guess not. As for no food.. we can buy the vegetables from China and rice from Vietnam (they even have higher yield). Beer.. I don't drink it often maybe once in a few months so not my concern.

Those without electricity should get electricity unless you really live secluded but villages should have it its the governments responsibility. As for the flooding I was flooded for a month or more that time because they were afraid to empty the dams before. Farmers might not have had enough water then. They took high risks to appease the farmers and the rest of Thailand got the result.

As for the sending food.. that implies free.. you mean selling food don't you making money because of the water and taking more as your fair share.

Edited by robblok

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Everyone has just got dumber reading your comment

Yes just like everyone got dumber from people who cant even format a post.

"So farmers only get water to drink/shower just like anybody in Bangkok does? Why do you think they are farmers?"

Rice, peppers, watermelon and peanuts are some of the most water intensive crops on the planet.

Maybe they should switch to "dry farming" and grow less water intensive crops like Nopal prickly pear cactus. Scrape the needles off and it tastes similar to sweet bell pepper in your omlette.

The prickly pear fruits are pretty good with chile powder, salt, sugar and lime.

C'mon, with a little effort Thailand can be just as successful as Mexico, 555

[sarcasm]

Edited by SiSePuede419

"So farmers only get water to drink/shower just like anybody in Bangkok does? Why do you think they are farmers?"

Rice, peppers, watermelon and peanuts are some of the most water intensive crops on the planet.

Maybe they should switch to "dry farming" and grow less water intensive crops like Nopal prickly pear cactus. Scrape the needles off and it tastes similar to sweet bell pepper in your omlette.

The prickly pear fruits are pretty good with chile powder, salt, sugar and lime.

C'mon, with a little effort Thailand can be just as successful as Mexico, 555

[sarcasm]

Point being.. if water is scarce why should farmers have the first go at it and screw the normal people. Have you ever seen all those drinking water vending machines the poor in BKK use ? They will go salt then and the poor will be forced to buy water because of farmers using more as their fair share.

Currently we can get fruits and veggies from other countries at similar prices, if this was not the case I could understand farmers given priority. But its not as if they are vital because there are other farmers that produce the same stuff. (unlike what people on this thread love to make others believe)

They are making money by using the water and screwing others over, same goes for others using water (factories ect). When water is scarce it should not be the normal people that face the problems but the major users first.

If water is scarce don't wast it on water intensive crop, plant a crop less with luck the rice price will go up.

Typical farmer selfishness we need to grow stuff to sell to you so we use all the water and leave you with none. Electricity you pay for this water you take for free.. see the difference.. guess not. As for no food.. we can buy the vegetables from China and rice from Vietnam (they even have higher yield). Beer.. I don't drink it often maybe once in a few months so not my concern.

Those without electricity should get electricity unless you really live secluded but villages should have it its the governments responsibility. As for the flooding I was flooded for a month or more that time because they were afraid to empty the dams before. Farmers might not have had enough water then. They took high risks to appease the farmers and the rest of Thailand got the result.

As for the sending food.. that implies free.. you mean selling food don't you making money because of the water and taking more as your fair share.

I just realized that there is no meaning to discuss with idiots

I just realized that there is no meaning to discuss with idiots

You mean you have no real arguments besides that you loose money if there is no water. But you do expect the poor who use the water filling machines to start paying more for their water if you use it all.