Leave The Country Every 90 Days And 90 Day Reporting?

I have a one year multiple entry “O” marriage visa where I have to leave the country every 90 days.

Some little while ago I decided to take the Thai driving test. This involved getting a “proof of address” thing from the local immigration office.

The immigration guy told me I would have to report to the immigration office to reregister/confirm my address every time within 24 hours after my visa run. There is a form to fill in but nothing stamped in my passport.

Is this normal?

Reading through the forum posts it seems that one does the 90 day reporting OR run but not both.

Any solid information on this.

Beachcomber :o

I have a one year multiple entry “O” marriage visa where I have to leave the country every 90 days.

Some little while ago I decided to take the Thai driving test. This involved getting a “proof of address” thing from the local immigration office.

The immigration guy told me I would have to report to the immigration office to reregister/confirm my address every time within 24 hours after my visa run. There is a form to fill in but nothing stamped in my passport.

Is this normal?

Reading through the forum posts it seems that one does the 90 day reporting OR run but not both.

Beachcomber :D

The requirement for '90 Day Reporting', as it is commonly known, is purely to notify Immigration that you will be staying in the Kingdom for a period of longer than 90 days consecutively, as far as I am aware. If you leave the Kingdom and return, even the same day, the clock starts again.

To my mind, the title of the TM 47 form makes its purpose quite clear.

post-3455-1155724568_thumb.jpg

Whilst you do have to include your address on the form (as on all others), I should imagine that if it's sole purpose was for you to confirm your address, it would say so: it doesn't. I am unaware of any particular form for that purpose, although that does not mean there is not one.

However, I do recall several years ago going to Immigration to re-register my address when I moved from the address I had put on the TM 6 card on arrival. I had to sign alongside the new address details in a large book on the three occasions when I did move.

As I have not changed my address since that time (over twelve years ago), I have not approached them on the subject and have no knowledge of any ongoing requirement to do so unless another form demands it.

That said, I seem to vaguely recall some requirement to advise Immigration if you are going to be leaving your registered address for more than 24 hours, although I very much doubt that even if it should be the case, few if any do so.

Could it be that the officer was thinking of something along those lines? :o

Is this normal?

Beachcomber :D

The requirement for '90 Day Reporting', as it is commonly known, is purely to notify Immigration that you will be staying in the Kingdom for a period of longer than 90 days consecutively, as far as I am aware. If you leave the Kingdom and return, even the same day, the clock starts again.

To my mind, the title of the TM 47 form makes its purpose quite clear.

post-3455-1155724568_thumb.jpg

Whilst you do have to include your address on the form (as on all others), I should imagine that if it's sole purpose was for you to confirm your address, it would say so: it doesn't. I am unaware of any particular form for that purpose, although that does not mean there is not one.

However, I do recall several years ago going to Immigration to re-register my address when I moved from the address I had put on the TM 6 card on arrival. I had to sign alongside the new address details in a large book on the three occasions when I did move.

As I have not changed my address since that time (over twelve years ago), I have not approached them on the subject and have no knowledge of any ongoing requirement to do so unless another form demands it.

That said, I seem to vaguely recall some requirement to advise Immigration if you are going to be leaving your registered address for more than 24 hours, although I very much doubt that even if it should be the case, few if any do so.

Could it be that the officer was thinking of something along those lines? :o

I had a one year non-imm-O visa. Altough I did have to leave the country every 90 days, I never had to do the 90 day reporting.

They really seem to be making it up as they go along...

This requirement is not 90 day address reporting but under the laws foreigners are required to report there address change within 24 hours (as done by hotels). He or the house owner (wife?) should be doing this each time he returns. This is normally not an issue but the poster seems to have drawn attention to himself by the address request (normally Immigration provides them to those on extensions of stay so they have the normal TM.47 on file). I would use ones Embassy for this paperwork if not on an extension of stay.

This requirement is not 90 day address reporting but under the laws foreigners are required to report there address change within 24 hours (as done by hotels). He or the house owner (wife?) should be doing this each time he returns. This is normally not an issue but the poster seems to have drawn attention to himself by the address request (normally Immigration provides them to those on extensions of stay so they have the normal TM.47 on file). I would use ones Embassy for this paperwork if not on an extension of stay.

I agree.

For the foreigner the 90 day clock is reset everytime your come back into Thailand.

There is no need to report your address as you have already done that in the TM card at the airport.

You can point this out to the local Immigration officer, if necessary.

Your wife, or landlord should report your arrival at the address everytime your return.

A rule more honoured in the breach than in the observance.

My wife was fined once for not doing so, when I needed an address letter for a vehicle transfer.

It was a new officer, trying to make a good impression. She wanted to fine me as well, but I said No!.

When we took the matter to her superior he agreed with me. :o

Astral's and Lopburi's comments are consistent with what Suan Phlu Immigration officials told me when I requested letter of residence.

Basically, if I am away from my rented condo for more than 24 hours, the building manager or juristic person is required to notify Immigration of my return. The juristic person at my condo building laughed when I informed him of this requirement, as he stated he has no idea when the foreign tenants take short trips or not.

You can understand Thai Immigration authorities wanting to keep tabs on the location of foreigners, but it's not very practical for apartment/condo managers to keep up with the comings and goings of customers who rent on a monthly basis.

Guess I wasn’t quite clear in the OP.

I don’t have to personally report after every 90 day visa run. Wifie can take the form, signed by the landlord, to immigration for me, or as I understand it for the landlord.

So since I attracted attention to myself by getting a driving license this reporting “by the landlord” every time I leave my residence for more than 24 hours is normal?

Wonder what my landlord would say if I told him HE had to make the whole day return trip, if the weather permits the ferry, every 90 days. :o

He just might look for “easier” tenants. :D