Thai Police Spokesman: Zigzag markings are common in Europe

webfact

But we are not in Europe.

Where is the "Thainess"?

Why are we following Farang Democracy?

So OK, we wont follow Farang Democracy any more, instead of white zigzags on the road we will paint pink polka dots, just to be different from the international accepted road rules,

more common sense for them to ignore and/or blame for their ignorance.

Impound their vehicles - then test their ability to drive - oh whats the point

they kill with impunity

they litter without thought

they have ruined their own country and will NEVER even know that they were and are at fault, its everyone else!!

let them live in their swill - once they all die off from malnutrition & poor hygeine, the entire region will be a cleaner, better place for the rest of us.

I can see it now. There will be Thai drivers zigzagging back and forth trying to stay between the lines. cheesy.gif

I doubt it....Thais don't recognise lane markings as it is......usually have half the car over them.......these zig-zag lines will just throw them completely!.....Who knows what they'll do??

Where is the "Thainess"?

Maybe just an attempt to move Thailand a bit lower down the chart from 2nd place on "most dangerous country to drive in"..... or are you proud of that statistic...... you want "to be number 1"......... berkoff.

Where is the "Thainess"?

Combined with the Thainess of taking two of the three eastbound lanes side of Sukhumvit for westbound traffic, all the time; the Thainess of ten minute, dumb, traffic light sequences; the Thainess was here:

Numerous small lanes, sub-roads, unnecessary intersections and U-turn are closed to allow traffic on the main roads flowing as smooth as possible.

Until this country creates a properly functioning police force, nothing will change on the roads. No number of zigzag lines will make drivers—who, for generations, have done absolutely anything they want with impunity—obey the road rules.

Obviously the creation of a properly functioning police force would be contingent on a complete overhaul of almost every aspect of Thai society, so it will never happen.

I think you will find that a comprehensive overhaul of the learner driver system and driving test is what is required. Not an overhaul of the Police, (in this case).

Anyone observed that you can't see Thai white lines at night? Do you think its missing the reflective stuff they put in road paint in Europe? Sometimes i drive at night and find it difficult to keep in lane because of the hard to see road lines!

Anyone observed that you can't see Thai white lines at night? Do you think its missing the reflective stuff they put in road paint in Europe? Sometimes i drive at night and find it difficult to keep in lane because of the hard to see road lines!

+1

Of course, as you get older, your nighht vision decreases. In NZ the lines fairly gliisten - but it's rather expensive paint. On the road leading from Nong Bua Lam Phu to Loei, they've expanded a stretch of the road from a two-lane to a !four-lane divided highway. There is one dangerous intersection on the way, and they have not only used the sparkly yellow paint but also flashing yellow LEDs embedded in the pavement at the end of each paint strip. There may be hope yet.

In Bangkok I think they call it the starting line. smile.png

From the time that video started until the people got a green light was about 6 1/2 minutes. I don't know how long they had a red light before the vid started.

That's way too long and will try anyone's patience.

• Like 2

If Zig Zags are working and the Thai motorists are aware of what they mean then it's a good thing. I hope there is not a sign like this one from America located anywhere in the Kingdom. crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZci8XVf8

That isn't a sign from America. It's Photoshopped. There isn't a down arrow sign in use. It's a joke implying that you can't go anywhere, not even back up.

I did think it was funny, though. thumbsup.gif

Edited by NeverSure

Where is the "Thainess"?

Combined with the Thainess of taking two of the three eastbound lanes side of Sukhumvit for westbound traffic, all the time; the Thainess of ten minute, dumb, traffic light sequences; the Thainess was here:

Numerous small lanes, sub-roads, unnecessary intersections and U-turn are closed to allow traffic on the main roads flowing as smooth as possible.

Until this country creates a properly functioning police force, nothing will change on the roads. No number of zigzag lines will make drivers—who, for generations, have done absolutely anything they want with impunity—obey the road rules.

Obviously the creation of a properly functioning police force would be contingent on a complete overhaul of almost every aspect of Thai society, so it will never happen.

I think you will find that a comprehensive overhaul of the learner driver system and driving test is what is required. Not an overhaul of the Police, (in this case).

Well obviously a comprehensive overhaul of the learner driver system and driving test is required, but that won't make the 10's of millions of drivers/riders—who, for generations, have done absolutely anything they want with impunity—obey the road rules, nor suddenly drive/ride safer.

A comprehensive overhaul of the learner driver system and driving test will certainly make people safer, but only for those getting their licence from the day it is implemented; the 10's of millions of drivers out there already—who, for generations, have done absolutely anything they want with impunity—will continue killing themselves at a rate higher than every other country but one until a properly functioning police force begins to do some actual policing.

Of course the road signs and markings used in Europe have been developed over many years of experience and driving habits.

Thailand and it's people do things their own way.

The way they drive road markings may well be a waste of paint. I frequently have issues at the Rt36/Sukhumvit junction where filtering causes confusion and many drivers stop dead in filtering lanes.

You have to face the fact that they are still struggling with traffic lights and dual/one way carriages.

Where is the "Thainess"?

Democracy ? whats democratic about it? It's Safety and It works. Your so called "Thainess" hurts and kills people.

So maybe that's why its being tried . Have you Thought about that one eh ???

Or would it be nicer and more Thai ness, to just give a courteous Yi , to people when they knock a kid over??

Stop lights are common in Europe also. But they are used properly there. Red means stop. Yesterday, I saw 4-5 scooters just run the red light. It wasn't even close to turning green. Right in front of a manned police box. And on a very busy street/intersection.