Savannakhet 's Thai Consulate info update

Hello Sadana!

Thank you for your update with its relocation on the map.

Can you still pick up your passport with a visa on it on the

same day you apply for it?

I'm going there to apply for a Non-B visa very soon but would

you think it possible to get off in front of the Thai Consulate

on the way to Savannakhet Bus Station if we take an int'l bus

at Mukdahan?

Thank you.

As UbonJoe said, it is a short walk. Keep to your left as you walk out of the bus station. 5 to 10 minute walk.

Or you can get a tuk-tuk from the bridge directly to the consulate right after you get stamped into Lao. They asked for 200 baht but settled for 160 baht in my case.

Int'l bus does not go past consulate.

walking is easiest way once at Savanakhet bus station.

Don't worry if see Tuk Tuk with others going to right out front of bus station but you go left, they take long way round to justify the high charges :-O & approach embassy from other direction & also dump you at the overpriced visa assistance shop opposite the consulate.

The walk is 10 minutes, you will pass L-Kang hotel on your right & that about half way point between bus depo & consulate.

• Like 1

Hello Issanman & BuckBee

Thank you for your info! I'll walk to the Thai Consulate from Savannakhet Bus Station no problem! 555

Can I ask you one more thing now?

They say that The Office Hours are between 08:30 & 12.00 and they handle the Consular Affairs

between 09:00 & 11.00. Some say that you should go there by 11:00 and does this mean that

you should get there by 11:00 and submit an application form and all the documents for the visa

by 12:00 OR you MUST submit all the papers for the visa by 11:00?

Thank you.

Int'l bus does not go past consulate.

walking is easiest way once at Savanakhet bus station.

Don't worry if see Tuk Tuk with others going to right out front of bus station but you go left, they take long way round to justify the high charges :-O & approach embassy from other direction & also dump you at the overpriced visa assistance shop opposite the consulate.

The walk is 10 minutes, you will pass L-Kang hotel on your right & that about half way point between bus depo & consulate.

When you arrive at the consulate, left of the entrance is a copy service and they have forms. Ask Tomas, German fella, to get you a tuk tuk and for about 150 baht per person the tuk tuk will take you to Dao something restaurant, quite nice and air-conditioned, then the tuk tuk will pick you up at the restaurant at 2.30, take you back to the consulate and wait while you collect your visa, then take you back to the bridge, all for 150. Not bad. See Tomas.

Hello Sadana!

Thank you for your update with its relocation on the map.

Can you still pick up your passport with a visa on it on the

same day you apply for it?

I'm going there to apply for a Non-B visa very soon but would

you think it possible to get off in front of the Thai Consulate

on the way to Savannakhet Bus Station if we take an int'l bus

at Mukdahan?

Thank you.

Actually the bus passes the Consulate but does not stop there. I usually take the bus till the Laos side and then take a tuk-tuk (never paid more than 100 THB ) to the consulate. The stroll from/to the bus station is still a bit of a walk but do-able.

After I receive my queue number I take a tuk-tuk to Lin's Cafe downtown for a good breakfast (148 THB and Free WiFi ).

Than rent a room at Savanough guesthouse for 300 THB (price for room until 3 pm.) So I can rest and take a hot shower. At checkout they have a tuk-tuk ready to bring me to the consulate and mostly wait for me until I receive my passport to bring me back to the Laos Border (150 THB )

The bus ticket back to Mukdahan I can buy right after the departure desk for 50 THB.

Never noticed bus going past consulate on way in. Bit of a shame to some if loose same day service but 1 night stay is not a big deal.

I picked up a coffee & some food in side road opposite L-Kang hotel then used hotel for shower/rest spot.

Stroll from bus station is easy & after sitting on buses etc a nice bit of exercise ... I just use bus to & back as seems easy & no rush as plenty of time & not really busy enough to worry.

If think could have paperwork issues worth being at consulate no later than 10am so got time to deal with additional paperwork if needed. they quite stern on times & didn't seem that flexible from what I observed during my visit.

• Like 1

So if u go the VIP bus from Morchit Bkk to Mukdahan then the bus end station is at the Thai immigration ? then there is a bus from there that stop at Lao immigration and keep going to the bus station for 50b one way ?

The bus from Morchit will be to the bus station in Mukdahan. You then get the bus to Savannakhet from there.

It will stop a Thai immigration and wait for you clear immigration and then across the bridge to Lao immigration. The bus does not always wait for you to clear Lao immigration though.

• Like 1

So if u go the VIP bus from Morchit Bkk to Mukdahan then the bus end station is at the Thai immigration ? then there is a bus from there that stop at Lao immigration and keep going to the bus station for 50b one way ?

The bus from Morchit will be to the bus station in Mukdahan. You then get the bus to Savannakhet from there.

It will stop a Thai immigration and wait for you clear immigration and then across the bridge to Lao immigration. The bus does not always wait for you to clear Lao immigration though.

Isee.. so a tuktuk to Thai Consulate from Lao Immigration 100b then . . . will do the trick . . . or just w8 for next bus ? . . . .

Bus should wait at lao immigration, If you have paperwork, pic & fee all in hand it only takes 5 minutes but do try & be first at window as other bungling applications could hold you up

I found I was done & just in back of queue for Lao passport control & was waiting for the bus as quick as lao passport holders.

Did have a slow westerner as he queued for stamping into lao without doing visa first & was bit long winded sorting it out

Bus did wait though & nobody pushing to go quickly, but if didn't wait you just need negotiate with tuk tuk.

With bit of prep & being alert on day it is a very easy border crossing really.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone!

Thank you for all the info!

Hello Joe!

You mean you get a numbered ticket first, wait a while for your number to be called and then

submit the documents to the officers, so you might have some time to correct mistakes you've

made when filling in the application form if any or to fill in the new one, right?

I'm lucky I'm going there to apply for a Non-B visa toward the end of this month, so really hope

they'll still do the same day service when I go there then.

I've actually missed the int'l bus on the Thai side once but hopped on the next bus that came

1 hr later to go over to the Lao side no problem.

I have some more questions I'd love to ask you now.

1. Can I show up at Mochit Bus Terminal in the morning to buy a bus ticket to go to Mukdahan

in the evening OR should I book one in advance to stay on the safe side?

2. I'd say the 08:30 int'l bus departing from Mukdahan would be the last one to make it to The

Thai Consulate to apply for a visa by 11:00 and that the 9:30 one would be a bit risky to take.

Do you know what time the night buses will usually leave BKK and arrive in Mukdahan the next

morning? I heard that the journey takes you around 10hrs.

Thank you.

I went last week and got there early. There were no numbers given out during the time I was there, but I was third in line at the window. They did give me a number so that i could come back and claim my passport in the afternoon once I had turned in my paperwork and paid.

Hello Issanman!

Thank you for your quick reply!

I just thought it would be like taking a numbered ticket first, waiting for your number to be called and

then getting the service in the bank or the post office.

I'd love to get there as early as possible but it depends upon what time the bus will arrive in Mukdahan

from BKK. I'd hopefully make it on the 08:30 bus at latest.

Hello Everyone!

Thank you for all the info!

Hello Joe!

You mean you get a numbered ticket first, wait a while for your number to be called and then

submit the documents to the officers, so you might have some time to correct mistakes you've

made when filling in the application form if any or to fill in the new one, right?

I'm lucky I'm going there to apply for a Non-B visa toward the end of this month, so really hope

they'll still do the same day service when I go there then.

I've actually missed the int'l bus on the Thai side once but hopped on the next bus that came

1 hr later to go over to the Lao side no problem.

I have some more questions I'd love to ask you now.

1. Can I show up at Mochit Bus Terminal in the morning to buy a bus ticket to go to Mukdahan

in the evening OR should I book one in advance to stay on the safe side?

2. I'd say the 08:30 int'l bus departing from Mukdahan would be the last one to make it to The

Thai Consulate to apply for a visa by 11:00 and that the 9:30 one would be a bit risky to take.

Do you know what time the night buses will usually leave BKK and arrive in Mukdahan the next

morning? I heard that the journey takes you around 10hrs.

Thank you.

You can buy your ticket online here. http://www.thaiticketmajor.com/?la=en

I have seen reports of people taking a 8:30 PM bus and getting to Mukdahan early enough to take the first bus at 7:30 or at least the 2nd bus. The 9:30 bus would be tight to get there on time if immigration was busy,

Hello Joe

I've just checked the website you gave to me, which said that there are 6 buses going to Mukdahan

departing from Mochit between 18:30 and 21:30 and there are still lots of tickets available for all

the buses on the night I'm going to travel.

Thank you for your info as always!

Edited by Too

I’d love to ask you some questions as for the application form in the post *Worry-Free Non-O-Visa Savannakhet*

stated by gzu88bv on 2014-01-17,

1. I’m going to apply for a Non-B visa for teaching. Should I fill in the blank *Profession* with *Teacher* or

*Tourist?* I haven’t got a work permit yet so I’m not allowed to work now.

2. Can I leave the blanks *Present Address (Lao P.D.R.)* & *Permanent Address (if it’s different from the above)*

BLANK when applying for a Non-B visa as he did?

Should I put the name of the guesthouse I’m staying in Savannakhet in the blank *Present Address (Lao P.D.R.)*

and the address of where I’m living in Thailand in the blank * Permanent Address (if it’s different from the above)*

instead because I’m going to live in Thailand for at least a couple of years?

3. What should I put in the blank *Duration of Proposed stay?* Maybe ONE YEAR (till the Non-B visa expires after the extension)?

Thank you for your time.

I’d love to ask you some questions as for the application form in the post *Worry-Free Non-O-Visa Savannakhet*

1. I’m going to apply for a Non-B visa for teaching. Should I fill in the blank *Profession* with *Teacher* or

2. Can I leave the blanks *Present Address (Lao P.D.R.)* & *Permanent Address (if it’s different from the above)*

Should I put the name of the guesthouse I’m staying in Savannakhet in the blank *Present Address (Lao P.D.R.)*

and the address of where I’m living in Thailand in the blank * Permanent Address (if it’s different from the above)*

3. What should I put in the blank *Duration of Proposed stay?* Maybe ONE YEAR (till the Non-B visa expires after the extension)?

Thank you for your time.

1. Teacher

2. Leave address and guarantor blank. That is for Laotians applying for a visa. Put address here in the the permanent address space and the Thai one and guarantor is self.

3. 90 days

Thank you for your time.

1. Teacher

2. Leave address and guarantor blank. That is for Laotians applying for a visa. Put address here in the the permanent address space and the Thai one and guarantor is self.

3. 90 days

Hello Joe

In answer to No.2, just put my address in my home country in the Permanent Address space, right?

Thank you for your answers.