Decent elephant camp?

Mister Fixit

Two of my kids (brother and sister in mid-30's and late 20's) are coming out to Thailand soon and are having a few days in Chiang Mai.

They were thinking of one hotel and I called it to see if they could organise a day trip to an elephant camp - they could and quoted 1,200 baht per person.

However, they have booked another place instead, and this hotel quoted over double, at 2,500 baht per person.

Can anyone suggest a decent day trip out to an elephant camp in the CM area at a reasonable price?

Names and phone numbers of reputable companies in CM welcome!

• Like 1

1200/2500 THB is ridiculous! I think most of these places charge about 200 THB admission. Add another couple hundred THB for a songtaew to get there.

I don't like these places really but Mae Taman is pretty good, probably followed by Mae Sa. (You can google both.) I've also been to the elephant hospital or sanctuary in Lampang (50 Baht admission) but didn't think there was much to see there. The King's white elephants are there but they won't let you see them.

Avoid at all cost any of these places where farangs and Thais are making a profit off of these wonderful animals while treating them poorly.

Seriously, stay away, the way these wonderful animals are treated especially when training is terrible, sharp spikes are used, their place is in the wild!!!!!

Absolutely! Could you please tell us where there is enough 'wild' to sustain a herd of elephants today, without them destroying farmer's fields or getting hit by speeding cars? The home range for one wild female Asian elephant is up to 400 square kilometers and almost double that for a male, up to 200,000 acres. And that's just one. The problem really starts when you factor in that elephants are 'herd' animals, so we need much more space.

Determining proper space also needs to include topography, vegetation, water and location. 300 acres of flat open pasture has a vastly different benefit than 300 acres of hilly terrain with valleys of trees and hilltop pastures. Topography creates opportunities to grow various species of grass, trees and shrubs; some that are more shade dependent or require different soil PH. This diversity promotes physical and psychological stimulation as elephants search for a variety flora for dietary or medical needs (captive elephants in sanctuary have been observed eating specific plants to self medicate-another topic for another day) to seek shelter from prevailing winds or the perfect hill for an afternoon nap.

Unfortunately, because of encroaching civilization, safe wild space large enough to sustain a healthy herd of elephants no longer exists in Thailand. The only recourse for the protection of the species lies in elephant sanctuaries and 'better-run' elephant camps. The closest of these two are the sanctuary in Lamphang or the elephant show in the Mae Sa Valley, both of which provide proper nutrition, veterinary care, and freedom from abuse. Tourist support of these two organizations go a long way to improving the conditions of the elephants.

There is no question about the fact that many Thai elephant show employees and owners mistreat their animals, and that this must be stopped at all costs. But just freeing the elephants into the local jungle isn't the answer any more than leaving a bag of puppies on the steps of the temple is the way to deal with soi dogs.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Maesaelephantcamp.com

I think THB200 entry THB800 to ride an elephant. We take most of our guests there. Many of the mahouts actually take their elephants home at day's end.

And hire a minibus or Red Bus for the day and go to other attractions up that way.

As I follow the many discussions about different elephant camps in case any of my many visitors want to partake (my family goes and see them in the wild here). Just last week my friends who were staying at 137 Pillar were brought by their privately hired guide to Patara Elephant Farm (http://www.pataraelephantfarm.com/) which they were told told was conservation oriented (but the were told lots of things smile.png ).

As I never have heard of them I was wondering if anyone else has.

A Quote from their website:

"With conservation philosophy "Extinction is Forever", Patara Elephant Farm honored to encourage people to try, at least once in their lives, to experience this very special and sacred animal that should be treasured."

I'm not sure how "trying" their "experience" goes with their conservation policy.

The OP can use the search function for info already posted about this topic.

Seriously, stay away, the way these wonderful animals are treated especially when training is terrible, sharp spikes are used, their place is in the wild!!!!!

Absolutely! Could you please tell us where there is enough 'wild' to sustain a herd of elephants today, without them destroying farmer's fields or getting hit by speeding cars? The home range for one wild female Asian elephant is up to 400 square kilometers and almost double that for a male, up to 200,000 acres. And that's just one. The problem really starts when you factor in that elephants are 'herd' animals, so we need much more space.

Determining proper space also needs to include topography, vegetation, water and location. 300 acres of flat open pasture has a vastly different benefit than 300 acres of hilly terrain with valleys of trees and hilltop pastures. Topography creates opportunities to grow various species of grass, trees and shrubs; some that are more shade dependent or require different soil PH. This diversity promotes physical and psychological stimulation as elephants search for a variety flora for dietary or medical needs (captive elephants in sanctuary have been observed eating specific plants to self medicate-another topic for another day) to seek shelter from prevailing winds or the perfect hill for an afternoon nap.

Unfortunately, because of encroaching civilization, safe wild space large enough to sustain a healthy herd of elephants no longer exists in Thailand. The only recourse for the protection of the species lies in elephant sanctuaries and 'better-run' elephant camps. The closest of these two are the sanctuary in Lamphang or the elephant show in the Mae Sa Valley, both of which provide proper nutrition, veterinary care, and freedom from abuse. Tourist support of these two organizations go a long way to improving the conditions of the elephants.

There is no question about the fact that many Thai elephant show employees and owners mistreat their animals, and that this must be stopped at all costs. But just freeing the elephants into the local jungle isn't the answer any more than leaving a bag of puppies on the steps of the temple is the way to deal with soi dogs.

just stay away from these shows and so called conservation places!!!

Can you justify your claims where is the evidence?Please tell us details or provide links that shows mistreatment specifically in the Chaing Mai area.

http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/ This place will cost 2500 Baht per a person, but in my opinion is the best place to go to see elephants. You do not get to ride them but spend a full day interacting and observing them. They also treat the animals much better than the majority of places.

This is the place I also went to many years ago. While I do not remember the prices, I do remember it was the most expensive. So what made us go there was that I read some good things about this place, including that they take care of the animals well, are run by a person that seems to have the animals best interest in mind, and the money is used for taking care of the animals, and not for profit.

That was my impression then. Not sure if it was right then, or now. Perhaps the OP, if interested, will do his own research and report back. Thinking about making another trip to such a place in the near future, so also interested in what place would be best to go to.

• Like 2

just stay away from these shows and so called conservation places!!!

If you promise to feed all the elephants, I'll stay away. 'Someone' must feed them. There isn't enough natural habitat to support them any more. We've built too many towns and villages, roads and farms, resorts and recreational areas, taking away the natural habitat the wild elephants need to survive.

While YouTube does a very good job of depicting the problematic elephant trainers, it leaves a vacuum about just who WILL take care of the elephants.

So... I'm asking you. Will YOU feed the elephants?

Then give your money to a bona vide charity and not some ' circus.'

Do you mean a bona fide charity such as an elephant sanctuary?

Who will feed the rest of the elephants? The established sanctuaries don't have enough land to house many.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 2

As I said my family see elephants in the wild elephants in Thailand. These are pics I took that are from three different national parks. Kuri Buri, Kaeng Kachin and Nam Now comprise approximately 5000 sq km with lots more free space adjoining for animals to roam with no farms or roads in sight in many cases.

Please go and enjoy for yourself!

post-101742-0-42849000-1421239606_thumb.

post-101742-0-21617400-1421239623_thumb.

post-101742-0-03186900-1421239709_thumb.

post-101742-0-34302300-1421239964_thumb.

post-101742-0-88370600-1421239969_thumb.

http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/ This place will cost 2500 Baht per a person, but in my opinion is the best place to go to see elephants. You do not get to ride them but spend a full day interacting and observing them. They also treat the animals much better than the majority of places.

This place. It's more of a sanctuary for rescued elephants than a typical elephant camp. You won't get to ride them or see them do tricks, but you will get to spend lots of time around them, learn about them, and realise why this place treats them much better than the others.

• Like 1

As I said my family see elephants in the wild elephants in Thailand. These are pics I took that are from three different national parks. Kuri Buri, Kaeng Kachin and Nam Now comprise approximately 5000 sq km with lots more free space adjoining for animals to roam with no farms or roads in sight in many cases.

This is wonderful! How many elephants do they estimate currently inhabit these parks? How many kilometers do you have to trek in before you reach their range?

Well said FolkGuitar. This is exactly right.

This is wonderful! How many elephants do they estimate currently inhabit these parks? How many kilometers do you have to trek in before you reach their range?

Thanks FolkGuitar. I don't have any stats, though I expect you could find some, as in these matters I'm just a tourist although one who with a some effort in my opinion get a better experience.

I didn't trek, nor say I did. In the case of Kuri Buri for example, I drove my 4X4 SUV with my 3 young children, one who was only 1 yrs old, on dirt tracks into the park. It was extremely difficult to even find the entrance to the unmarked park entrance. We only saw a few other people all day, basically only a pick-up truck at the ranger station full of monks.

As well as elephants we saw Benteng, Red Cow, Horn Bills, Deer, Wild Boar, Jungle Fowl among other wildlife that day.

These pics are from that day but we also have visited many other parks and I've included a pic of a Temple Viper we saw in Khao Sao National Park.

My point is that there are lots of beautiful natural places to visit in Thailand if one wants to and it is not difficult to see elephants and other wildlife here if one is willing to put the effort into making the trip.

This is not a fact filled scientific based post (in other words I'm not looking to defend what I've written ) but one a reality based one, go see these magnificent creature in their natural habitat, sadly perhaps while one still can!!!!

post-101742-0-04084100-1421280006_thumb.

post-101742-0-89565000-1421280028_thumb.

post-101742-0-66280000-1421280039_thumb.

Edited by junglechef

So not to take side as I really don't have one but how would one know which is the most elephant friendly place? Besides of course just listening to what posters or the places themselves claim (which both of course have their own agendas).

But as for "the real deal" I find it hard that one could claim seeing anywhere else then in the wild in their natural habitat hard to beat!!

• Like 1

The only place to go IMO is the elephantnaturepark.org. I took a friend's son there a few years ago and stayed for 2 nights---day trip are available from your hotel in CM to the park which is in Mar Rim costs about 2,500. Quite an uplifting experience!

This elephant refuge is run by Khun Lek who is renowned all over the world for her kind treatment of the elephants. She is also universally hated by these cheap, for profit tourist traps that mistreat the animals. The are no hooks, prods, sticks used on the animals and no riding on them is allowed except for the mahouts.

Check out the website.

• Like 2