Why is Thailand such a failure compared to the Japan?

monkey dog

I guess the real question is why is Thailand a failure compared to so many other countries? Well, you can chose from any of the reasons below:

• Laziness
  • Corruption
  • Unethical
  • Greedy
  • Want others to take care of them
  • Lack of motivation
  • Lack of legal systems
  • Lack of law enforcement
  • Unstable government
  • Poor quality work and service
  • Lack of ingenuity
  • Lack of innovation
  • Poorly educated with piss poor educational system

I'm sure I could keep going but I think you get the idea.

Complete and accurate description. Nothing more to add.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I guess the real question is why is Thailand a failure compared to so many other countries? Well, you can chose from any of the reasons below:

• Laziness
  • Corruption
  • Unethical
  • Greedy
  • Lack of motivation
  • Lack of legal systems
  • Unstable government
  • Lack of ingenuity
  • Lack of innovation

Cheers.

Stereotypic nonsense the result of an education found in bars instead of institutions of higher learning. Why not drop the stereotypes and talk about something that you all know for sure. Can you all contrast the education systems of Thailand and Japan and tell us about the differences? Tell us about the number of governmental changes in Japan as opposed to Thailand. Tell us about the institutionalized monopolies of Japan as different or the same as the ones in Thailand. Stop pitching the BS and concentrate on facts.

Should you, oh learned one, chose to read the post here you will find that it was not comparing Japan and Thailand but merely listing some of the characteristics of Thailand that I have experienced over the past 10 years that I feel hinder its development. Of course, you are entitled to your opinions as well since you were not educated in a bar like the rest of us and are better prepared to offer us a more educated discourse.

• Laziness
  • Corruption
  • Unethical
  • Greedy
  • Lack of motivation
  • Lack of legal systems
  • Unstable government
  • Lack of ingenuity
  • Lack of innovation

Cheers.

Stereotypic nonsense the result of an education found in bars instead of institutions of higher learning. Why not drop the stereotypes and talk about something that you all know for sure. Can you all contrast the education systems of Thailand and Japan and tell us about the differences? Tell us about the number of governmental changes in Japan as opposed to Thailand. Tell us about the institutionalized monopolies of Japan as different or the same as the ones in Thailand. Stop pitching the BS and concentrate on facts.

Should you, oh learned one, chose to read the post here you will find that it was not comparing Japan and Thailand but merely listing some of the characteristics of Thailand that I have experienced over the past 10 years that I feel hinder its development. Of course, you are entitled to your opinions as well since you were not educated in a bar like the rest of us and are better prepared to offer us a more educated discourse.

So off topic and should have been removed from the constructive posts in this thread. Why don't you start a new thread, "My Thai Bash for today?"

another question: is Thailand a failure???

and if it is why are so many foreign people here???

And if Thailand took advantage of the fact that there are so many Foreigners here....Imagine the infrastructure they could form.

Just in retired Westerners....the expertise like Engineers, Electricians, Plumbers, Professional People,...and the rest of the skilled workers sitting around willing to help, but cant because you not allowed....sad really.

Schools, Universities, Colleges, could be using this knowledge to great advantage...Then they would be the HUB of Asean.

What a waste of a Resource, thats already here..

Just my opinion, but the gains are boundless. The Asian Country that works it out first, will be the winner in the long run...

i agree with you to a certain point.

but the retirees you are talking about got their knowledge 30-40 years ago and times are changing.certainly there are some profession where the knowledge is consistent.

How about we talk about what Japan has invented -vs- Thai Inventions.

Or GDP per capita.

And if Thailand took advantage of the fact that there are so many Foreigners here....Imagine the infrastructure they could form.

Just in retired Westerners....the expertise like Engineers, Electricians, Plumbers, Professional People,...and the rest of the skilled workers sitting around willing to help, but cant because you not allowed....sad really.

Schools, Universities, Colleges, could be using this knowledge to great advantage...Then they would be the HUB of Asean.

Just my opinion, but the gains are boundless. The Asian Country that works it out first, will be the winner in the long run...

You have it in a nutshell. The protectionist policy in Thailand is the only thing holding it back.

There is nothing wrong with the education system - no more than anywhere else, anyway. Yes corruption is a problem here, but that would be swept away if foreign firms were given free access to the markets and workforce.

The difference between Japan (which pre-WW2 was even more insular than Thailand) and here is that losing the war forced Japan to open their economy to foreign investment, and with that came innovation and progress. In Thailand, the Big Beasts are desperate to continue their hegemony, and in doing so are holding the country back. Only when Thailand accepts that we have an open global economy where hard work and innovation are rewarded with success will they escape the anachronistic feudal system that pertains.

As long as the xenophobic attitude of "Thailand for the Thais, and only for the Thais" remains, they will never be a major economic force.

well said but i think that COMPETITION is the key factor...as long there is no real competition the progress will be minimal..

but the retirees you are talking about got their knowledge 30-40 years ago and times are changing.certainly there are some profession where the knowledge is consistent.

I disagree with you a little, about the 30-40yr bit...Most Professionals are completely up to date with their profession when they retire...

They leave their industry (whatever it is) and take that valuable knowledge with them. It is lost forever. This experience has taught them to overcome a problem.

Some dont want to retire, but because of their age, they are forced to, in western countries. So thats a gift to countries who pick up that expertise, and take advantage of it. Especially if they were lagging 30yrs behind the modern societies who are widening the gap....

Edited by weegee
  • Like 2

#1)

People from colder climates are always more motivated.

They need to plan and work for the future if they are going to eat, stay warm and survive in the cold months.

In a warm tropical climate, you never need to worry about ever getting really cold and have food available all year round.

Can you list any major accomplishments from any cultures that exist in a warm, comfortable climate?

#2)

Japan is a small island with very limited resources.

This is what has motivated them to expand to other territories to access the resources they need in the past.

I have always considered the Japanese and the British to be much the same in this respect.

Both are cold small islands with limited resources.

Both are motivated.

Both have made good efforts in the past to conquer and exploit others to get what they needed.

• Like 1

I disagree with you a little, about the 30-40yr bit...Most Professionals are completely up to date with their profession when they retire...

They leave their industry (whatever it is) and take that valuable knowledge with them. It is lost forever. This experience has taught them to overcome a problem.

Some dont want to retire, but because of their age, they are forced to, in western countries. So thats a gift to countries who pick up that expertise, and take advantage of it. Especially if they were lagging 30yrs behind the modern societies who are widening the gap....

valid point.

#1)

People from colder climates are always more motivated.

They need to plan and work for the future if they are going to eat, stay warm and survive in the cold months.

In a warm tropical climate, you never need to worry about ever getting really cold and have food available all year round.

Can you list any major accomplishments from any cultures that exist in a warm, comfortable climate?

#2)

Japan is a small island with very limited resources.

This is what has motivated them to expand to other territories to access the resources they need in the past.

I have always considered the Japanese and the British to be much the same in this respect.

Both are cold small islands with limited resources.

Both are motivated.

Both have made good efforts in the past to conquer and exploit others to get what they needed.

The Egyptian Empire, The Roman Empire. Disneyworld. Singapore. Well back to the drawing board on that idea eh? How are those Eskimos doing; taken over the world yet?

• Like 2

well said but i think that COMPETITION is the key factor...as long there is no real competition the progress will be minimal..

If that is the case then Pattaya should have the best sex in the world.biggrin.png

It does, and guess who taught them?

I hope you have made a contribution?