Permanent residence applications now being accepted 14-30 January 2015

Already said so in the Camerata thread, but thanks for this very positive news Arkady!

I have to admit I felt pretty negative about the current regime when the 2nd half of Dec came and went without even a peep from anyone about this.

My friend that has his application prepared mentioned to me that CW told him there was a possibility that they would open for applications late but I was pretty sceptical about that.

This is a first is it not?

Here is the full official translation by SiamTranslations.com

Translation by Thaivisa Translations

(Official Emblem)

Notification of Immigration Bureau

Subject: Admission of application for residential permit in the year B.E. 2557(2014)

According to the notification from the Prime Minister and Minister of interior by approval of the cabinet issued on December, 29 B.E. 2557 (2014) regarding quota of aliens to have residence in the Kingdom for the year 2014 the following stipulations are applied.

1. 100 persons of each nationality

Colony or colonies of each country shall be considered as one country while each Sovereign state shall be considered as one country

2. 50 persons for stateless people.

Base on the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) stipulated that foreign nationals who wish to attain resident in the Kingdom of Thailand may apply for resident permit under the approval of the Immigration Commission and the Minister. The criteria on qualification and conditions of applicants are under consideration of the Immigration Commission.

Thus, additional criteria and qualifications of the foreign applicant for residential are issued as follows:

1. Qualification of the eligible applicant to be considered for

1.1 Foreign national applicant must hold a passport of his/her own current nationality except the holder of passport which stated as STATELESS person.

1.2 Foreign national applicant must be qualified for each category as prescribed in the Notification of the Immigration Bureau, Subject: Criterion and conditions of foreign nationals' residential permit consideration dated 26 December B.E. 2546 (2003).

2. Time and place for submit the application forms

2.1 The application can be submitted on the following day after the date of this Notification until 30 January 2015 during office hours.

2.2 Place to submit the application: Bangkok: contact at Sub-division 1 , Immigration Division 1, The Government Complex Commemorating His Majesty The King’s 80th Birthday Anniversary, 5th December, B.E. 2550 (2007), Building B, 2 Floor, Counter D, 120 Moo 3, Chaengwattana Road, Thungsonghong Sub-District, Lak Si District, Bangkok 10210

In other regions : contact at local or nearby Immigration Office/Checkpoint,

3. Application and supplementary documents

-2-

3.1 Application (Form TM9.) must be made in person. The photograph is required as well as all of their passports.

3.2 Applicants must submit the supplementary documents required as stipulated for each category.

4. Fees

4.1 A fee for each application is 7,600 baht (Seven thousand six hundred baht only) whether permission is granted or not. Application fee is not refundable.

4.2 If the application is approved by the Immigration Commission, Prime Minister and Minister of Interior, the fee for the residence permit is 191,400 baht One hundred ninety-one thousand four hundred baht only). However, the residence permit fee for spouses and children (under 20 years of age) of aliens who already had the residence permit or Thai citizens is 95,700 baht (Ninety-five thousand and seven hundred baht only).

5. Procedures

Step

Description

Length of time

The applicant submits the application form as well as supplementary documents, pay the fee, provide fingerprint

From the next day of Notification until 30 January 2015

The letter requesting checking genuine of documents is sent to relevant authorities for confirmation.

The applicants and those who get involved with the applications will get an appointment card to come for an interview with the immigration officers.

90 days

To grant approval for the residence permit application, the Immigration Commission will take into its consideration the applicants’qualifications in terms of the understanding of Thai language, and personality.

90 days

The application is submit to the Immigration Commission for consideration

120 days

After the application is approved by the Immigration Commission, the matter must be submitted to the Prime Minister and Minister of Interior, the acting person pursuant to Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979), for final approval. Upon final approval from the Prime Minister and the Minister of Interior, the Immigration Office, within thirty days from the date being informed by the relevant officers, will send a letter to applicant regarding collection of the residence permit.

So announced for public acknowledgement

Notification made on this 13th January 2015

Police Lieutenant General -signature-

(Sakda Chuenpakdee)

Commissioner of the Immigration Bureau

Book 132 Special Section 2 Ngor Royal Gazette _ 6 January 2015

Announcement of the Prime Minister and Ministry of Interior

Subject: Quota of aliens to have residence in the Kingdom for the year B.E. 2557 (2014)

According to the notification from the Prime Minister and Minister of interior by approval of the cabinet regarding quota of aliens with and without nationality to have residence in the Kingdom for the year 2014, the following stipulations are applied.

By virtue of Section 5, paragraph 1 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) additionally amended by the National Council for Peace and Order Letter No. 87/2557, subject: amendment of the acting person as stipulated by relevant law in regard to duties and power of the Police Officers dated 10 July 2014, and Section 40 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979), the Prime Minister and Minister of interior by approval of the cabinet, thus, declare the quota of aliens to have residence in the Kingdom for the year B.E. 2557 (2014) as follows:

1. 100 persons of each nationality

Colony or colonies of each country shall be considered as one country while each Sovereign state shall be considered as one country

1. 50 persons for stateless people.

Notification made on this 29 December 2014

General Prayut Chan-O-cha

Prime Minister

General Anuphong Paochinda

Minister of Interior

notification-applicationforresidencepermit2014.docx.pdf

Has anyone already submitted the form and if so, is a lengthy an difficult process? I take it that the process will be accomplished in Bangkok and no where else? Is that right? I am not sure based on the past posts, are they accepting applications at this time or not?

Has anyone already submitted the form and if so, is a lengthy an difficult process? I take it that the process will be accomplished in Bangkok and no where else? Is that right? I am not sure based on the past posts, are they accepting applications at this time or not?

It must be done at your local immirgaiton office, but the expertise is in Bnangkok. Reason why many people applying choose to have an address in Bangkok.

You need time to prepare all the required documents, if you didn't prepare in advance your application will not succeed. Yes, they are accepting applications, till January 30.

• Like 1

So if you are a citizen of a country that does not have a lot of people living here, you have a MUCH better chance of getting this!

Anyone have any idea of how many Brits, Americans, Aussies, Germans, etc. are living in Thailand?

Thinking of changing my citizenship to Mauritania! :-)

I do not believe that the quota for any country has ever been reached.

So if you are a citizen of a country that does not have a lot of people living here, you have a MUCH better chance of getting this!

Anyone have any idea of how many Brits, Americans, Aussies, Germans, etc. are living in Thailand?

Thinking of changing my citizenship to Mauritania! :-)

I do not believe that the quota for any country has ever been reached.

Well, you stand corrected. The quotas for Southasians (India, Pakistan and Bangladesh) as well as PR China, Japan and Taiwan ROC are filled within absolutely no time.

There is a question above I had hoped would be confirmed...Does understand Thai mean the applicant must be able to read write and speak Thai fluently.

Speak = yes, reading/writing = no. The interview is more of a monologue as they ask you a question (why do you want to stay in Thailand etc.) and then you just get a circle prepared (like Thailand because of weather, people, family, work etc.) and keep talking until they stop (some 5+ minutes). Honestly I do not believe that anyone is seriously looking at those tapes; there is more interesting stuff to do/read/watch than a nervous alien babbling his way ......

There is a question above I had hoped would be confirmed...Does understand Thai mean the applicant must be able to read write and speak Thai fluently.

Fluency is not required.

Just enough to have a basic conversion. Perhaps be able to read and write a little.

Fluency is not required.

Just enough to have a basic conversion. Perhaps be able to read and write a little.

My friend couldn't speak a word and got it.

The order of the white elephant 5th order may have helped and he worked in the US embassy

• Like 1

"the Immigration Commission will take into its consideration the applicants’qualifications in terms of the understanding of Thai language, and personality."

So how do you demonstrate you understand the Thai personality? Be able to say "mai pen rai?"

Gawd, easier to do a retirement visa every year.

You could do all of this and still be turned down.

One question, do you need to be employed here or can you be self employed, which I am?

I you need to be employed here the point is moot.

If you have you own company and a work permit you can apply.

Fluency is not required.

The order of the white elephant 5th order may have helped and he worked in the US embassy

Did you stretch the truth in this story? you can not apply unless you are employed by a Thai company. Working for an embassy does not qualify you.

A friend and I are currently discussing this, please clarify for us? does this permanent residency qualify the recipeient for a Thai passport, one says No and One says Yes.

You have to apply for Thai citizenship to get a Thai passport. PR is not that.

Fluency is not required.

Did you stretch the truth in this story? you can not apply unless you are employed by a Thai company. Working for an embassy does not qualify you.

There are some exceptions to the WP/tax requirements. For example, foriegn Buddhist monks. So I wouldn't put it out of the bounds of possibility that an embassy employee might qualify. They would likely have some connections in the right places too.

Would I be correct in my understanding that a man married to a Thai for over three years would be eligible apply regardless of whether he has been working or not as I am thinking of making an application? I have scanned through Camerata's guide but at 95 pages it is a mini War and Peace.