Jomtien Beach

pegman

New regulations since mid last month. No beach chair rentals on Wednesdays.

Am holidaying in Hua Hin with the Ex.(She who must not be obeyed now)....same story, no beds on Wedensdays.

PS...Hua Hin is looking very good. It's nice to be among some normal people, both Thais and Farangs....I think I'm the only abnormal one around for a change.

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

Will the public toilets on the "boys" section of the beach also be closed on Wednesdays?

Why do you ask.... looking for some action?

Typical TV stupid response...Grow up!

You asked a question and unnecessarily framed it with "boys section" as it is irrelevant since there are many public toilets (and private too) along the beach. The proper question would be are the public toilets open on Wednesdays? The answer would be yes and by the way public toilets charge the same as private ones.

I used to live just up from jomtien beach, and when here the only toilets were the ones on the gay beach. Obviously a lot has changed since I left, including nowhere for the tourists to sit on Wednesdays. Why not Sunday - oh no - as that would upset the weekending Thais!

Is it still 30 Baht? A lot of the guys on Pattaya Beach insist on 50 Baht blink.png

Wondering about this too. Has the government raised the price?

I usually just move on until I find someone who only charge 30, but

still would like to know.

From 2013:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/636984-beach-chair-vendors-admit-to-nearly-doubling-prices-for-rentals/

So where do you get a deck chair or sunbed to lounge on ? What a killjoy!

Take your own? I would.

It's not the presence of a couple of umbrella vendors that bothers me: it's the way they cover the entire beach and practice cartel pricing. And, lately, the way they want to beat the sh*t out of you if you don't care to subscribe to their service.

I remember 20+ years ago I used to go to Jomtien beach every day for a cup of coffee after lunch. I used to sit and drink my coffee in the shade of an umbrella and have a nap for an hour and only pay for the coffee. And the vendor was glad to have me there.

These days I just go home after lunch and make my own coffee.

"And the vendor was glad to have me there."

Ah the good old days of poverty-induced servility and groveling natives.

Pukkah-Sahib.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

It's not the presence of a couple of umbrella vendors that bothers me: it's the way they cover the entire beach and practice cartel pricing. And, lately, the way they want to beat the sh*t out of you if you don't care to subscribe to their service.

I remember 20+ years ago I used to go to Jomtien beach every day for a cup of coffee after lunch. I used to sit and drink my coffee in the shade of an umbrella and have a nap for an hour and only pay for the coffee. And the vendor was glad to have me there.

These days I just go home after lunch and make my own coffee.

It sucks being poor.

I'll take your word for it. Personally I've never had the experience.

It's worth 30 baht if you enjoy your time there, doesn't have to be a whole day.

If I go to any other place in town and order a coffee I pay for the coffee and I get the table and the seat and the aircon and the wifi etc for free.

I dont expect to pay some extra charge for seating if I have already paid for something to eat or drink, unless I spend a disproportionate time there in which case they can impose a minimum order per hour or something like that.

Edited by KittenKong

Ah the good old days of poverty-induced servility and groveling natives.

Hardly.

When I still worked I was glad to have clients, and I was always polite and helpful, and I charged a fair price but no more. And as a result of that my client book was always full. These days too many people seem to think that the world owes them a living; it doesn't.

• Like 2

There might not be a cartel pricing as the last seven years I've been to the same spot every summer.

Last July the price was the same as previous years: 20 Bath, but if you buy any food and / or drinks the chair is "free".

To the best of my knowledge - it is the Navy that is governing the beach.

A typical example is on a "Budda day" you cannot / should not be able to buy any alcohol - but on the beach you can buy as much as you like without any intervention of the policy - or army.

Will the public toilets on the "boys" section of the beach also be closed on Wednesdays?

Why do you ask.... looking for some action?

Typical TV stupid response...Grow up!

You asked a question and unnecessarily framed it with "boys section" as it is irrelevant since there are many public toilets (and private too) along the beach. The proper question would be are the public toilets open on Wednesdays? The answer would be yes and by the way public toilets charge the same as private ones.

I used to live just up from jomtien beach, and when here the only toilets were the ones on the gay beach. Obviously a lot has changed since I left, including nowhere for the tourists to sit on Wednesdays. Why not Sunday - oh no - as that would upset the weekending Thais!

I guess I was a bit harsh, sorry for that, but I know of at least 5 public toilets along the beach and numerous private ones that are available to the public. I think they all charge 5 baht and 15 for a shower. Here are pics taken midafternoon. The new larger public areas are vastly underutilized and the concessions were busy. There were over 70 people in my concession and a sprinkling of people using the public area.

post-9935-0-85080000-1421314639_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-25248500-1421314698_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-95628300-1421314754_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-74869700-1421314799_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-48322300-1421314854_thumb.jp

• Like 1

keep us informed. is it permanent shutdown or transient closure

No one knows, the army ordered the closure for beach cleaning every Wednesday. About 10 years ago the City tried this but reversed itself after several weeks because of the outcry from people with lost income. Remember this closure not only affects the beach concessionaires but anybody associated with making a living from the beach, the food carts, vendors, the blue shirted people doing massage, etc. All have had their income effectively reduced 14%.

Can not see the local Mafia persuading the Army to change it's mind... They will shoot back.

Peter Paul & Mary - "Where have all the Beach Chairs Gone...........??" Isn't it nice to be able to walk on the beach again?? Carry your own 7/11 umbrella if you need one ad enjoy the sand while it lasts - as Arnie says They'll be backclap2.gif

There might not be a cartel pricing as the last seven years I've been to the same spot every summer.

Last July the price was the same as previous years: 20 Bath, but if you buy any food and / or drinks the chair is "free".

That sounds very reasonable. But is that Jomtien/Pattaya beach or elsewhere?

Edited by KittenKong

For the advocates of the free beach, here are some pics of California free beaches. This is one reason why escaped the USA and now enjoy a full service beach here in Jomtien. Since the Army can do want it wants, perhaps a no smoking policy should be implemented? Just think, no umbrellas, no chairs, no smoking, just the sun, clean air, an environmental paradise right in the middle of a busy tourist beach! Good trying to sell that concept to the tourists.

post-9935-0-09125000-1421371327_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-46271500-1421371356_thumb.jp

So on Wednesdays the beaches are empty of those pesky tourists who come to Thailand to enjoy a beach holiday, to sit on a chair under an umbrella and enjoy good local food and drink, maybe a massage or an ice cream etc!

So where are they all? Probably packing their bags and planning their next holiday somewhere else!!!!!!!!!