An Interesting Observation

bdenner

This is not Thai related but I find it one of the biggest anomalies in developing a universal measuring system.

UBC’s Discovery channel is currently airing a program called “Building the Biggest” and the current subject is the International Space Station. It is extraordinary viewing if your into science (well some anyway) rather than watching tits bounce around.

Do you know one of the biggest problems with the project aside from the Shuttle program failures is the Americans using their non universal measuring systems eg. wire gauges, volumes and distance measurements. A German engineer makes the observation thru the program.

I remember an important Martian Lander that crashed on the planet because half the software was written using metric and the other half in imperial measuring systems – TOSSERS!!!

For what it's worth I put the question :- Is it an EGO thing that stops the Americans from converting to a totally metric environment like the vast majority of the Western world and most of the developing countries?

Rather early for a whine, isn't it? :o

at least they can actually build things like that and not just talk alot ;-)

Haven't seen the program yet. Maybe its time to switch to the German Space Shuttle. Did you hear the joke about the mexican space shuttle? its a porta potty with flames painted on the sides?