DSI set to conclude probe into luxury cars next month

webfact

DSI set to conclude probe into luxury cars next month
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) will next month conclude its investigation into gangs believed to have imported luxury vehicles without paying proper taxes. Vehicles worth at least Bt4 million are categorised as luxury.

Pol Lt-Colonel Korrawat Panprapakorn, who heads DSI's Bureau of Regional Operation Centre, yesterday disclosed that the largest gang was led by a very wealthy man who had the letter "P" in his initials.

"Evidence suggests that this gang imported luxury cars, but declared them as auto parts to be assembled in Thailand in order to avoid higher taxes for imported cars. The gang has also been found to be involved in other questionable activities," he said.

According to him, the DSI found that proper taxes had not been paid for 548 luxury vehicles and the Customs Department has ordered their owners to pay the outstanding amount.

At present, more than 100 luxury vehicles still need to be handed over to DSI for examination.

"We will go after and seize these vehicles," Korrawat said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/DSI-set-to-conclude-probe-into-luxury-cars-next-mo-30251921.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-15

Is there some method to their madness. The constant advance announcements giving the criminals plenty of time to flee, move the money, scare off or kill witnesses, prepare their payments so as then to make an appointment to turn themselves in.

if they scrapped the outrageous 200% to 20% customs duty for imported cars luxury or not this country would not have this problem . I would be more than willing to pay a decent tax for an import as would most people , and even 50% is over the top for this kind of tax .

Absolutely agreed. This is a problem of their own doing.

Like others I'm sure I can't make up my mind about the habit of announcing planned moves in advance or summonsing suspects etc on a date well into the future and a date that can be very flexible on the filmiest of excuses.

With all the suspects who have fled the country because they knew what was coming it seems reasonable to think the police and DSI would have learned by now. So with the practice continuing is it sheer incompetence, an overwhelming need to look as if somethings being done and get favourable publicity or designed as deliberate advance warning. Take your pick on a case by case basis.

• Like 2

hmm the letter "P" did he mean "Pii"? as in ghost? because that's what this "P" will become as he disappears after being 'tipped off' by the national media 'press release' here it is (translated)

"Now you bad criminals we have to show the public we are coming after YOU, so be good chaps and disappear, now we are closing our eyes and counting... 1, 2, 3... were coming soon... 4, 5, 6 have you gone yet? 7, 8, 9

• Like 2

just another group of taxpayer paid thieves who should be behind bars, with assets/bank accounts siezed and used to supply the accumulated funds to help the general population of the country.

I really wonder at the social groups these people and others involved in corruption, socialize/hang out with. Many i am sure have the title ''POL''. in front of their rank. this should be enough to bring the wrath of anti corruption groups/committees down on them like stink on a festering cess pool. The numbers found at the source of the smell may be relative small in number but the potential monetary reward for the people is probably huge.

According to him, the DSI found that proper taxes had not been paid for 548 luxury vehicles and the Customs Department has ordered their owners to pay the outstanding amount.

I wonder if the owner of a pink Bentley and a Rolls has paid his tax yet?

But those cars are owned by a Singaporean businessman and looked after by his friend Chalerm whose allowed to drive them as well as looking after them.

Chalerm explained that a while back, when I think his CAPO friend Tarit was running the DSI.

All must have been cleared up.