Looks like pattaya beach crackdown in affect now

yankee99

If the pictures are to be believed, very few sun-worshipers are availing themselves of this magnificent stretch of beach -- far fewer than can be found when concessionaires provide ample shade and convenient food service.

Perhaps this is because they are conscious of the danger of skin cancer that comes from prolonged exposure to direct rays. Perhaps it's because they don't want to get sand in their swimsuits.

Or maybe people are so used to the usual umbrella slums that they don't know that they can come and enjoy a real beach for a change.

• Like 2

Thumbnails are not of Pattaya Beach.

? What do you refer to ?

Pictures (thumbnails) in post @1 are from Pattaya beach.

Picture in post #28 is supposed to show Ko Lan (as stated by the poster).

The picture in post #22 is some "funny picture" from the internet.

Meant to be ironic I would guess laugh.png

Sure not Thailand.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Why cant you have both, ample spacing for those who want to sit on the beach and sunbathe and those who want to sit in the shade, keep the beds and umbrellas to the back and issue then as and when required instead of filling the beach and then clearing it every week. This way you can keep people earning money, still get your food and drink but if you wish to relax then all good as well!

post-9381-0-00428900-1421381805_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I honestly appreciated the vendors and the umbrellas and the comfortable chairs at Jomtien.

I got to know the vendors and they would reserve my comfortable spot every time I visited.

I love the festive atmosphere as well as the Thai people walking along the sand selling their

wares. I particularly enjoy the personal service the beach vendors offer in bringing food and drink

directly to my chair and I also look forward to the reasonably priced massages offered right on the

sand after a late night of partying. It's a great place to commune with all my Thai and expat friends.

I can go sit on a lonely beach in California if all I want is a sandy beach. I, for one, have no interest

in going to just another sandy beach. .I loved it just the way it was. Guess I won't be going anymore.

Yes, exactly. I don't go to the beach much anymore, but if I were going I'd want the chairs. I like having coffee brought to me and maybe a meal. I like getting a mani/pedicure. I enjoy the people-watching and vendors and others moving about. I like sitting there reading a book or chatting with someone. And it's an income/employment for a lot of people. Some people on TV carry on about how much money they pour into the economy, but then whine about spending 40 or 50 baht for a chair rental and a bit more for food and drink, cash that's far more likely to end up in a Thai pocket than when buying imported booze and staying in some international chain hotel.

I could bring my own chair and maybe an umbrella and a Thermos with coffee, maybe pack a lunch ... but if hordes of people did that (and many of them hauling it all on song taeows or motorcy taxis) how would that be any different if the beach was crowded with chairs and all the crap everyone had to haul to the beach?

Sure there should be some open stretches of beach for people who just want to lie out in the sun on a towel or who get their jollies from looking at unfettered sand, but if you have some beach chair concessions alongside open stretches of beach, I'm almost certain more people would be in the chairs than on some pilfered hotel towels.

Is this the slice of heaven everyone is pining for? No beach chair concessionaires here. Just a pristine, natural beach!

1368589070_2836_Beach.jpg?itok=HLRARCTF

Looks like Bondi beach in Australia!

Why cant you have both, ample spacing for those who want to sit on the beach and sunbathe and those who want to sit in the shade, keep the beds and umbrellas to the back and issue then as and when required instead of filling the beach and then clearing it every week. This way you can keep people earning money, still get your food and drink but if you wish to relax then all good as well!

That is what we have now in Jomtien. I go down every day about 9:30, come back around noon. Unless there is some alternative universe going on here, there are plenty of umbrella seats available and now plenty of beach available for those who want it free of commercial intrusions. I see many more on sand than in chairs (do they love sun or just don't want to pay the money?). Have to walk no more than 100 feet to get to umbrella. This isn't Chronicles of Riddick or whatever that film was.

It's fine if you prefer sitting on backside, being catered and drinking all day, but you don't need wall to wall umbrellas, 10% occupancy in order to do that. And no, I do not want to go to California to have clean open beach. This is where I live now. I am originally from Oregon: Clean, open NO COMMERCIAL activity allowed anywhere on beaches. Some of the prettiest in US. Bit cold, but try googling some images.

I may take a few snaps tomorrow if some still insist arguing about this. If I can just get bluetooth on 8.1 to work.....

I also lived in Phuket for 6 months: Pattaya seems like Singapore by comparison.

last edit: looking at original snaps, and judging by shadows, I would guess earlier in the morning than when most people get down to beach, for a varitey of reasons: hungover/late night, entertaining "guest", etc etc

Edited by Emster23

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I honestly appreciated the vendors and the umbrellas and the comfortable chairs at Jomtien.

I got to know the vendors and they would reserve my comfortable spot every time I visited.

I love the festive atmosphere as well as the Thai people walking along the sand selling their

wares. I particularly enjoy the personal service the beach vendors offer in bringing food and drink

directly to my chair and I also look forward to the reasonably priced massages offered right on the

sand after a late night of partying. It's a great place to commune with all my Thai and expat friends.

I can go sit on a lonely beach in California if all I want is a sandy beach. I, for one, have no interest

in going to just another sandy beach. .I loved it just the way it was. Guess I won't be going anymore.

Yes, exactly. I don't go to the beach much anymore, but if I were going I'd want the chairs. I like having coffee brought to me and maybe a meal. I like getting a mani/pedicure. I enjoy the people-watching and vendors and others moving about. I like sitting there reading a book or chatting with someone. And it's an income/employment for a lot of people. Some people on TV carry on about how much money they pour into the economy, but then whine about spending 40 or 50 baht for a chair rental and a bit more for food and drink, cash that's far more likely to end up in a Thai pocket than when buying imported booze and staying in some international chain hotel.

I could bring my own chair and maybe an umbrella and a Thermos with coffee, maybe pack a lunch ... but if hordes of people did that (and many of them hauling it all on song taeows or motorcy taxis) how would that be any different if the beach was crowded with chairs and all the crap everyone had to haul to the beach?

Sure there should be some open stretches of beach for people who just want to lie out in the sun on a towel or who get their jollies from looking at unfettered sand, but if you have some beach chair concessions alongside open stretches of beach, I'm almost certain more people would be in the chairs than on some pilfered hotel towels.

Is this the slice of heaven everyone is pining for? No beach chair concessionaires here. Just a pristine, natural beach!

1368589070_2836_Beach.jpg?itok=HLRARCTF

Looks like Bondi beach in Australia!

What a dreadful beach wherever it is... I can't imagine taking a " gentle stroll " along that beach listening to some cool Shakatak tunes ( a cool band from the 80's..) without using Bryan Mills ( Taken 3 ) " particular set of skills " just to to get these people out of my way.........thumbsup.gif

This has very little to do with the beauty or ecology of the beaches. This is about the military displaying its power. The little guys -- the concessionaires, the masseurs, the vendors -- get pushed around. They lose one day a week's income. They have to reduce the number of chairs. The ones I talked to were seething with anger. Of course, they had to obey. This is a submission society.

If you want to improve the quality of life on the beaches, reign in the developers that have built monstrosities close to the shore. Take down the Waterfront, a gargantuan eyesore that will be visible from everywhere and block views from the top of Buddha Hill. It's clearly illegal, even though the developer was able to get approval from the authorities. I wonder how that happened?

Move buildings, not chairs.

• Like 1

The tourists have voted. The open beach is very popular. Too crowded actually. Time to get rid of all the unused chairs.

If they set up chairs/umbrellas when requested, they would occupy less than 10% of the beach. That way everybody wins and the place wouldn't look like a slum.

The chair vendors will get all the customers they need, the tourists that want chairs can have them and the open space can be used.

As of now, they set up thousands of unused umbrellas under the shade trees and beach to keep tourists off that part of the beach. Not nice.

• Like 1

This has very little to do with the beauty or ecology of the beaches. This is about the military displaying its power. The little guys -- the concessionaires, the masseurs, the vendors -- get pushed around. They lose one day a week's income. They have to reduce the number of chairs. The ones I talked to were seething with anger. Of course, they had to obey. This is a submission society.

If you want to improve the quality of life on the beaches, reign in the developers that have built monstrosities close to the shore. Take down the Waterfront, a gargantuan eyesore that will be visible from everywhere and block views from the top of Buddha Hill. It's clearly illegal, even though the developer was able to get approval from the authorities. I wonder how that happened?

Move buildings, not chairs.

It's not about crushing the little guys.

Criminals at City Hall exploited them when they illegally sold or leased the designated open space.

The vendors then proceeded to set up thousands of unused umbrellas in this open space to exploit the tourists.

Next the City chopped down hundreds of old growth shade trees along the beach, flattened, then paved over the garden so they could lease that space too and fill their greedy pockets.

Have you noticed the city also have leased the footpaths and parking spaces too?

Edited by BoneRanger
  • Like 1

The tourists have voted. The open beach is very popular. Too crowded actually. Time to get rid of all the unused chairs.

If they set up chairs/umbrellas when requested, they would occupy less than 10% of the beach. That way everybody wins and the place wouldn't look like a slum.

The chair vendors will get all the customers they need, the tourists that want chairs can have them and the open space can be used.

As of now, they set up thousands of unused umbrellas under the shade trees and beach to keep tourists off that part of the beach. Not nice.

You are either a liar or blind, maybe both, as I sit in the in the my smaller beach concession which is packed with customers (like sardines) buying drinks, food, souvenirs, getting massage, manicures while the public areas are sparsely used. I am a tourist who has been coming regularly for many years and renting condos along Jomtien Beach. I spend easily over a thousand baht a day at the beach. I am not happy about the changes and me and my friends will reevaluate our future holiday plans. And yes it is about the people with power disregarding the wishes of the majority(and tourists) and forcing the poor, people without political clout into subservience.
  • Like 2

You are either a liar or blind, maybe both, as I sit in the in the my smaller beach concession which is packed with customers (like sardines) buying drinks, food, souvenirs, getting massage, manicures while the public areas are sparsely used. I am a tourist who has been coming regularly for many years and renting condos along Jomtien Beach. I spend easily over a thousand baht a day at the beach. I am not happy about the changes and me and my friends will reevaluate our future holiday plans. And yes it is about the people with power disregarding the wishes of the majority(and tourists) and forcing the poor, people without political clout into subservience.

I'm a liar or blind? I think the moderators need to give you a spanking...

Hey, when I look, i see thousands of unused chairs set up...even in the shade. Why?

Just requesting the unused chairs not to be set. That is called a win/win situation.

You can have your chair.

What's your problem?

And whats this nonsense about forcing the poor into subservience? You lost me on that one.

Are you talking about the ones that were illegally set up in the designated open space? That's called criminal activity.

Don't worry, there are help wanted signs in business all over town

Edited by BoneRanger

When i lived in the Canary Islands a few years ago The locals would invade the beaches at the weekends bringing with them " Umbrellas,Chairs,Food Hampers,Large Cooler Boxes and TV's ( yes even a TV!! ) and the local police would patrol the beach along the waters edge every day constantly.On a windy day the Police would personally take down any umbrellas and with the more " awkward local " the police would quite simply say " If it's too hot for you then why don't you go home " .......

So Thailand ... are you listening? Take away all the " hideous deck chairs " ( popular in the 60's/70's ) and shacks and leave the beaches natural so we can walk along them and get great suntans without " hurdles " in our way!

The Thais may like this " Rentaghost " whitening look but i think it looks absolutely hideous......

( Kind respect all our viewers .. ) F.J wai2.gif

• Like 1

I'm a liar or blind? I think the moderators need to give you a spanking...

Hey, when I look, i see thousands of unused chairs set up...even in the shade. Why?

Just requesting the unused chairs not to be set. That is called a win/win situation.

You can have your chair.

What's your problem?

And whats this nonsense about forcing the poor into subservience? You lost me on that one.

Are you talking about the ones that were illegally set up in the designated open space? That's called criminal activity.

Don't worry, there are help wanted signs in business all over town

I will chime in. If someone says the the sawng taeo rate is 20 baht after all the evidence to the contrary then they are a liar. If someone says thousands of people throng to the free public areas and the concessionaires are almost empty at Jomtien despite the personal witness postings and a posted pictures to contrary then they are lying or have a hidden agenda. And the concessionaires are licensed by the City and that is the truth.

Obviously you know about Thai society and it's class structure.

If you want the beaches to be aesthetically pleasing, why not remove the hundreds of huge European men and women in bikinis and thongs? They lie on the sand, their enormous bellies and breasts -- not to mention their man boobs and bulges -- visible to all, their blubbery flesh turning from sickly white to lobster red -- an affront to the unspoiled beauty of the pristine sandy shore.

I mean, you don't see people like this in the tourist brochures, do you?

I certainly don't want to look at them. They offend me. At least when they're sitting under the umbrellas, their unsightly presence is hidden from the view of passers by.

Edited by prospero
  • Like 2

What you don't seem to understand, Mr. Bone Ranger, is that these are businesses. They are part of a culture that has been here for decades and has provided income for many Thais -- not only the concessionaires but vendors, and masseurs. If the chairs were always empty, they wouldn't be profitable, would they?

Why do you feel the necessity of interfering with a system that you clearly don't understand? This is Thailand. Get used to it. There are lovely beaches on the East Coast of Malaysia. Why not go there?

• Like 2

I'm sure you must also be offended, Mr. Bone Ranger, by the unsightly dens of iniquity that flourish all over Pattaya -- not only on Walking Street, but wherever decent people walk. Brazen whores of either sex are trying to lure you into vice and folly. Loud music blares out onto the street. Male and female prostitutes, shout "welcome" and often approach naive tourists who have read nothing about these establishments in the TAT tourist brochures. I'm told these harlots sell their sexual services in utter defiance of Thai law.

Clearly, bribes have been paid, to the police and to city hall. Otherwise Pattaya would be a serene shoppers paradise, a family destination where one could walk the streets unmolested any time of the day or night.

Clean beaches, clean streets. A noble objective.

• Like 2

This will backfire in spectacular fashion.........what Thai Girl is going to sit on an unshaded beach in Pattaya

Farcical at best.....

How can it backfire? The open space is being utilized by thousands of beach goers. I drive by the beach everyday. Crowds of people are all over the designated open areas. Nice.

There would be plenty of shaded beach for your girlfriend if the umbrellas people didn't take over the shaded area. That's kinda dumb, eh? Erecting umbrellas in the shade. Like someone above mentioned ... Thai culture....

There are still way more than enough chairs and umbrellas. Look at the above photos. Less than 10% occupied.

Guaranteed you will find one. Except on beach cleaning day, Wednesday.

This will backfire in spectacular fashion.........what Thai Girl is going to sit on an unshaded beach in Pattaya

Farcical at best.....

How can it backfire? The open space is being utilized by thousands of beach goers. I drive by the beach everyday. Crowds of people are all over the designated open areas. Nice.

There would be plenty of shaded beach for your girlfriend if the umbrellas people didn't take over the shaded area. That's kinda dumb, eh? Erecting umbrellas in the shade. Like someone above mentioned ... Thai culture....

There are still way more than enough chairs and umbrellas. Look at the above photos. Less than 10% occupied.

Guaranteed you will find one. Except on beach cleaning day, Wednesday.

1000's you're having a laugh mate !!

Prior to concession changes there was a 100 metre stretch of clear clean sand bottom of Pattaya Klang....

I'd estimate 50-70 people max used it daily and obviously not one single Thai Girl......

By you own admission 10% of Deckchairs occupied and punters sitting in unshaded areas 1/10th of that.......

If Pattaya wants to destroy whats left of the ex-pat populaton who enjoy the Beach just carry on in the same Vein........

I'll bet anyone on the Forum a £1000 that this farce will be dropped by May 1st at the absolute latest.....