VPN problem - Gvmnt meddling?

Lex Talionis

I've been noticing a problem with my VPN Service lately. I use StrongVPN and have TOT for wifi. Every time I activate the VPN I keep getting drop hits on my wifi which cause the VPN to disconnect (they appear as little exclamation points ! on the bars icon in the tray.) This happens every 15 seconds or so thus rendering the VPN service useless. Has just started happening in the last week. I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem? Paranoid man that I am, I'm developing a strong suspicion that maybe the Government has adopted this as a new method of defeating the VPN bypass of their censorship.

(And no, there are no chips embedded in my scalp - had them removed years ago biggrin.pnggiggle.gif )

Luckily so far my VPN does not show problems.

But I have Cyberghost and can not tell about StrongVPN.

ZenMate addon for Chrome Browser also worked this morning.

Used it to read and article from DailyMail about an accident at the Yasothorn rocket festival. Crazy wink.png

Editing from German VPN addr:

I guess it would make a quick round and lots of headlines in the forum if they start Chinese methods here.

But my surprise would be limited.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Has the VPN changed some of the connection information - you must have a profile for connection like PPPoE - did they change the IP address or method of authorization is their site password changed?. Check their web site for connection information. Connections like vpnbook change these things often password near weekly and domain names often as well - just requires right click and edit of the connection profile.

Netflix would block IP addresses known to be from proxy and VPN sites and use geo relate information - the connection to a VPN server would still work - many sites like even google search can fail if your on a VPN they will hit you with the caphta request to continue.

I just re-read the OP, and maybe a little clarification is needed. If I read it correctly I think you are saying that when you connect the VPN the WiFi drops causing the VPN to disconnect. I'm assuming that you are using the StrongVPN client, if so there is little or no connection profile that you need to adjust.

I can't think on any mechanism that the would cause a WiFi signal to drop due to a VPN tunnel being established, but maybe I am reading the question wrong.

• Like 1

It's happening again today. Here's a recording of the problem. Keep your eye on the wifi signal bars where you'll see the exclamation points coming in as hits. These "hits" do not happen when VPN is not running. This is a PC running Windows 8 & the latest version of StrongVPN.

http://youtu.be/_qBhB6_URA0

(finally used YouTube. still cannot get TV's uploader to work with any of my MP4 videos. - Can anyone tell me how to embed a video here? So it appears as a playable object instead of a link?)

Edited by Lex Talionis

Looks likes it is just not connecting to the host and trying again. That looks like a temp missing wan during the retry. I don't have 8 mine would look different and starts from a GUI window, but sometimes fails and retry's. I don't think it is blocked more like not connecting due to a setup problem or configuration i.e password, auth type (exp. chap), domain name or IP changed etc. ssl cert maybe is being rejected. Contact the vpn provider with your setup information.

• Like 1

I see the issue. The exclamation mark is only showing momentarily as the VPN drops and Windows detects a loss on internet connectivity before the native TOT connectivity gets detected, so thats 'normal'.

Now as for whats causing the VPN drops; Have you looked at the StrongVPN client log, to see if there are any error messages being displayed? On the client click on Advanced>Logs and see what it says

• Like 2

At least now I understand what the problem looks like...

(finally used YouTube. still cannot get TV's uploader to work with any of my MP4 videos. - Can anyone tell me how to embed a video here? So it appears as a playable object instead of a link?)

The "provisional" youto.be links don't work.

Use the finalized link: www . youtube . com /watch?v=_qBhB6_URA0

(inserted blanks to avoid creating another link)

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Thanks to all who have given tips & advice above. I just finished a chat with StrongVPN and they have "reconfigured" my account & asked me to try it out with the different PPTP,L2TP & SSTP configs. I really only ever use the L2TP though. So far (for the first 10 mins) it seems to be working OK. Will keep this thread posted.

I use HMA, I have a TOT fibre optic connection and have been experiencing my aol mail dropping, I am also getting unacceptable drops in speed when using singapore server, if I use HMA server in bangkok and want to visit the daily mail I get the thai govt notice it is off limits, I thought the vpn was ment to encrypt from my pc to the final destination, I have been considering changing vpn provider

I use HMA, I have a TOT fibre optic connection and have been experiencing my aol mail dropping, I am also getting unacceptable drops in speed when using singapore server, if I use HMA server in bangkok and want to visit the daily mail I get the thai govt notice it is off limits, I thought the vpn was ment to encrypt from my pc to the final destination, I have been considering changing vpn provider

If you use Bangkok as your VPN server you are connected to a Bangkok server which is located in Bangkok and there for blocked by the Bangkok government.

Might be useful to learn what you're using for a computer system or possibly telephone in this situation. I can say that in some cases you have an issue where processing power comes into play. Not enough processing power, for example, iOS devices tend to have a hard time connecting. Perhaps this is a similar experience in your situation.

I've been noticing a problem with my VPN Service lately. I use StrongVPN and have TOT for wifi. Every time I activate the VPN I keep getting drop hits on my wifi which cause the VPN to disconnect (they appear as little exclamation points ! on the bars icon in the tray.) This happens every 15 seconds or so thus rendering the VPN service useless. Has just started happening in the last week. I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem? Paranoid man that I am, I'm developing a strong suspicion that maybe the Government has adopted this as a new method of defeating the VPN bypass of their censorship.

(And no, there are no chips embedded in my scalp - had them removed years ago biggrin.pnggiggle.gif )

I have been using Steganos VPN for many years. It is a subscription of $100/year which provides 100gb/month traffic. I have always found this useful and began using it in DXB to bypass the censors. I have never had a real problem as described here. But some of you guys really educated me today. Thanks. I will look into StrongVPN also to see what other options are available. But Steganos? It has always been worth the money for me.

Yea, I used their Chat function once and it was excellent. In fact, the tech rep was actually in Pattaya...working for StrongVPN but living in Pattaya. You just never know where the tech rep may actually be when you contact a call center, chat center, etc. Turns out nothing was wrong with the StrongVPN service but it was undersea cable problems which occurred a few months ago....my L2TP VPN just would not hold a connection, but the PPTP would...I like to use L2TP when possible due to the strong encryption. That's when I learned L2TP VPN requires a much more stable connection than PPTP. Once the undersea cable problem cleared up which was in sync with posts on ThaiVisa saying their international connections had got better/speeded up (i.e., the cable fixed), my L2TP VPM problem also cleared up.

• Like 2

Censorship? For those of us who don't know, please post here reasons why we should obtain a VPN service. What is "off limits"? I have account with aws.amazon. com and they offer VPN it appears. If I am planning to come to the Kingdom should I configure it now, or wait until after arrival, or what? Maybe because I don't use the Onion I will not require a VPN but who knows?

If you connect to the Bangkok server you are achieving nothing since it will be blocked by the ICT same as any other Thai service provider. That is why you need to select another country server.

Censorship? For those of us who don't know, please post here reasons why we should obtain a VPN service. What is "off limits"? I have account with aws.amazon. com and they offer VPN it appears. If I am planning to come to the Kingdom should I configure it now, or wait until after arrival, or what? Maybe because I don't use the Onion I will not require a VPN but who knows?

Some may be avoiding censorship but I suspect for most it is to overcome the geographical locks on the television channels.