Yingluck 'involved in corruption'

Lite Beer

This is not a Yingluck/Shinawatra problem. The problem of corruption has been around for a long time in Thailand and its roots are

deep in the culture. Just about any Thai in her position would have done the same thing.

you must have been in Thailand for a long time and have not only a very good network but also indepth knowledge of how all Thai independently think and reacts. If not, you should refrain from slanderous accusations towards Thai people.
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wicha said ... that for true reconciliation, people should be able to see "right from wrong" and once facts are clarified to the public, it can decide for itself if holders of public office possess the qualities to lead the country.

speaking of facts, Khun Wicha is one of the former 2007 military constitution drafters. At the time he stated such things as "we all know elections are evil..."

Given his earlier statements and current statements, one can conclude that he doesn't give a rat's a** about reconciliation.

So you believe in saying "....naughty boy, never mind it's OK ....."

This is not a Yingluck/Shinawatra problem. The problem of corruption has been around for a long time in Thailand and its roots are

deep in the culture. Just about any Thai in her position would have done the same thing.

you must have been in Thailand for a long time and have not only a very good network but also indepth knowledge of how all Thai independently think and reacts. If not, you should refrain from slanderous accusations towards Thai people.

Yes he probably has been here a long time, and reads the news as well. I personally do not

believe a single Thai person in a position of power could withstand a full background investigation into their finances. The tip off is the mansions, mias noi, and Ferraris for their idiot kids, on a salary

that is equal to a janitor in the western world. You do the math and try to figure out what is going

on here. To maintain such a corrupt system, every once in a while to placate the masses,

someone must be thrown under the bus. And that person now is Yingluck. And before her

was Pongpat, the two billion dollar man.... :-)

pong pat's case was after removal of the Yingluck administration and has more to do with corruption by a senior police officer than direct politics however agreed it's also a form of politics, he was removed by the police themselves and onlyrics recently stripped of his rank also by a police court decision based on his own wrongdoings.

At least the country is changing for the better, politicians are just starting to watch their backs because someone is actually been doing something for the first time ever. Corruption will still go on, but at a smaller scale. You can't expect everyone to be straight as a stick overnight, small steps my man.

Spot on!!!

"pong pat's case was after removal of the Yingluck administration and has more to do with corruption by a senior police officer than direct politics however agreed it's also a form of politics, he was removed by the police themselves and onlyrics recently stripped of his rank also by a police court decision based on his own wrongdoings."

Pongpat's case has nothing to do with a real crackdown on corrupt police officers but everything with the power and other-games of a person who can't be mentioned. And it was the Army who took the first action.

Edited by hanuman2543
  • Like 1

I have a feeling that Yingluck won't flee. She's mild-mannered on the surface but fiery underneath. And she's smart enough to realize that going to jail while organizing her allies to preach the injustice of it all would eventually work in the Reds' favor. I'm afraid that Thai society is a long ways away from any sort of lasting stability. This current coup is just another chapter in a never-ending book.

In the unlikely event of her being given prison time, the chances of her having the courage to spend even a few days behind bars, which is probably all it would ever amount to, is i think slim. She doesn't have the courage to answer questions for one, so exactly how brave can she be? For two, her brother, when presented with the opportunity to become a real martyr to the cause by accepting his sentence, as he said he would weeks before the verdict, was incapable of living up to his promise, and he too, would have likely only spent a matter of days behind bars. If he can't do it, is there really much chance that a delicate woman whose monthly spending on clothes and cosmetics likely surpasses what the average Thai woman earns in a year, could don a prison jumpsuit, eat rice soup every day and take communal showers with guards watching on? I have my doubts.

I'm sure though all the Yingluck supporters don't, and they'll be letting us know very soon how brave she is... just as soon as they have cleaned themselves up from having thought about her having a communal shower.

This is just a way to gather ammunition, like leverage, for future talks with Taksin and PT.

A huge 'deal' is about to be made soon, I believe, and a civilian will step up to be PM as big foreign investors stay away from Thailand and Thai corporations have warned the Junta that this government is a disaster for the economy.

We will see a lot of change over the next few months, just sit back and relax and enjoy the ride!

Meanwhile the case against the Democrats for their 700 billion loss 15 years ago has expired without charge. Their own 40 billion/year rice scheme corruption goes unchallenged because the records were lost in the flood.

The 'law' in this country is nothing more than a politicised attack dog for a small group of powerbrokers.

Facts please!!!

They dare not have an election as she would win again... and again... and again... this is the only way for the ammart to retain power and control over the people and she, has the opportunity, come out of this as a 'heroine' who stood up to the BULLIES (i hope so but it's not clear yet whether she will stay and fight or flee). I think she has remarkable composure and I know many Thais love her and her resilience against the elite unelected bully boys.

• Like 2

Does history repeats itself?

"In 1991­–2, I became concerned by the way discourses about corruption became part of the struggle between military dictators and civilian politicians. Generals who took power in Thailand by coup in 1991 justified their action in part on grounds that the overthrown (Chatichai) government had been corrupt. This was undoubtedly true. Some of the members of Chatichai’s ‘buffet Cabinet’ had openly confessed to corrupt practices, and had accused their colleagues of even worse behaviour.

What stuck in my throat was that military dictators, who had a record of spectacular corruption in the past, could use this argument to legitimise themselves, and roll back democratic reforms. Out of this came a book on Corruption and Democracy in Thailand."

Pasuk Phongpaichit and Chris Baker

Monash Asia Institute, Monash University, 2 May 2002

• Like 1

+1...I think your right. Only the names change, not the corruption.

• Like 2

See the nation is really showing it's allegiance to the yellow dem junta coalition .

No need for attitude adjustment with them it's always been there and they just keep churning out bias articles which sends the yellow dems into a zombie like feeding frenzy.

Won't help at election time though!

What election? wai2.gif

These Junta clowns are repeating their 2006 failure. They have silenced all opposition voices with their guns and oppression and now idiotically believe that the dearth of criticism of their ridiculously biased actions is proof of their correctness and vast public support - idiots one and all. This right wing extremist joke is hurtling inevitably towards its deserved demise

"Examples need to be set that those who commit wrong will be punished, so no future leaders dare repeat these actions. This will create sustainable reconciliation," the NACC member said.

- Does this line of thinking apply to the Army leaders and the coups they continually inflict upon the nation? Selective justice is no justice at all!

Reconciliation cannot be forced by one side onto the other at the barrel of a gun.

What nonsense! Where have guns been used to silence people? Where is the Army on the streets? Barricades? Armed vehicles?

It was Prayut who commenced paying the rice farmers within 3 days of taking over; not the Yingluck Gov't...they allowed graft & corruption to occur to the tune of Billions of baht.

Wicha's comment that you quoted is correct;Thai people are entitled to have those who have wronged them, to be punished....that's natural justice!!

Agree: your only correct statement is in the last line...."Reconciliation cannot be forced by one side onto the other at the barrel of a gun."

Rubbish,Prayuth never paid anything the bank bailed them out under Prayuths orders. Yingluck tried to get help from the bank as well but the bank which is owned and controlled by the elites refused to help until a time when it could be done in a way that benefitted the elites. It matters not that Thaksin was corrupt because all politicians in Thailand are corrupt and matters not that Yingluck made mistakes even though her heart was in the right place the bottom line is that they are fighting a 1000 year old dictatorship and trying to bring Thailand into the modern age. Prayuth is dragging everything backwards.. The coup was brought about after a long conspiracy between Suthep annd Prayuth. The protest were created in order make an atmosphere of violence which would give the army ann excuse to take over. This is admitted by Suthep. I guess allot of farangs don't like the idea of Thailand coming into the modern age because then girls will be able to get good paying jobs and won't have to sell their bodies and work as slaves To yellow shirt brothel owners anymore.
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

27 posts.... perception management by threats to stop posting?

Does history repeats itself?

"In 1991­–2, I became concerned by the way discourses about corruption became part of the struggle between military dictators and civilian politicians. Generals who took power in Thailand by coup in 1991 justified their action in part on grounds that the overthrown (Chatichai) government had been corrupt. This was undoubtedly true. Some of the members of Chatichai’s ‘buffet Cabinet’ had openly confessed to corrupt practices, and had accused their colleagues of even worse behaviour.

What stuck in my throat was that military dictators, who had a record of spectacular corruption in the past, could use this argument to legitimise themselves, and roll back democratic reforms. Out of this came a book on Corruption and Democracy in Thailand."

Pasuk Phongpaichit and Chris Baker

Monash Asia Institute, Monash University, 2 May 2002

84 posts.

Your trying to say that the generals who conducted the 1991 - 2 coup are the same as the generals today.

I was here all through the 1991 - 2 coup and the generals IMHO were overall pretty nasty ruthless characters.

IMHO to try to suggest the generals today are of the same brand is very incorrect and just your attempt to spin.

I might add that thee are very mixed opinions about the credibility / flavor of at least one of the journalists you mention.

You should get out of bed a bit earlier.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

Nothing new here, back in 1997 the IMF discovered that the Minister in charge of the suburban rail network with those concrete pylons pointing to the heavens and a good example is along the highway to Don Muang had enough contracts for concrete which he and he's family had major shares in , to last 300 years , talk about looking after the family unit and this was under the watch of Khun Chuan, so corruption has been and will always be an extended part of Thai life , as long as the military and the system is involved in the running of the country.coffee1.gif

Back in '97 the IMF discovered a few things more than a families corruption. Thailand triggered the Asian Financial Crisis, through over 80 Thai banks borrowing heavily from Japan and then selling loans to all and sundry in Thailand. major personal loan default in Thailand created that crisis.

The IMF (as part of the bailout conditions) demanded a rationalisation of banks in Thailand and a new democratic constitution, which is where we are now. I think this time the likes of the US and Australia (AUD$2B) will not be kicking in.

People should be able to see "right from wrong" and once facts are clarified to the public.

So after endless years of depriving the vast majority of normal Thai people adequate education and a full history of lies and corruption from all sides, military and governmental they now believe that all these people are going to understand the in's and out's of the country's constitutional procedures, then all walk away in agreement she is at fault completely. WRONG

As far as the people are concerned they will see it as they have always known it and this will be collective bullying in destroying the woman and all her supporters in an attempt to remove this element from being involved in any democratic process the near future may hold.

It is quite clear that these people can not win over the vast majority of this country through democracy. Only dictatorial measures such as these will have any chance of success. She is out of the picture and the country is at ease. Why stir up trouble? Maybe they think a war on the people will be the best road to take.