PM vows to tackle welfare, education issues

Lite Beer

The Nation

30252087-01_big.jpg

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha pays respect to his former teachers

BANGKOK: -- AS THE country celebrated National Teachers' Day yesterday, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said the government would solve education issues and take care of teachers' welfare.

Prayut, who presided over an event to mark the occasion in Bangkok, expressed hope that all schools would be of good quality and be free from the "tea money" issue.

He urged teachers to apply cyber technology in educating children on how to live in a changing society without creating conflict.

At the Education Ministry's Teachers Council of Thailand Hall, Prayut presented awards to individuals who had benefited from the Thai education system and paid his respects to his old teachers from Wat Nuannoradit School - Boonma Rattanaubon and Wijitra Chaipat.

In his two-hour speech, Prayut urged teachers of all faiths to propel the country forward and nurture students who abided by the law, were disciplined, and could compete with citizens of other countries.

He called on teachers to be prudent in their spending and focus on morality while following HM the King's sufficiency-economy principle.

He said the government planned a new approach to tackle the teachers' debt and welfare issues.

"We have to see how teachers can get extra pay because we cannot give a pay rise to all teachers," the PM said.

"Some teachers want more time to teach students. Since they claimed that a lot of time was needed for teacher evaluations, we must appropriately adjust and lessen the evaluation time."

Meanwhile, 400 teachers in the deep South province of Narathiwat vowed to perform their duties despite 346 other teachers in the province asking for transfers over safety fears.

At a ceremony in the province's Sungai Kolok district, which saw 70 outstanding educators honoured, Prasert Simcharoen led fellow teachers in making the vow.

They also stood in silence in remembrance of 187 slain teachers and other educational personnel, including schoolteacher Juling Pongkanmoon, who were murdered in Narathiwat's Rangae district in 2005.

Another teacher, Udon Saising, holds after-school classes on the King's sufficiency economy principle and teaches new theories through a hands-on approach along with his fulltime job at Ban Kotabaru School in Yala's Raman district.

Under the school's "Farming for Lunch" project, Udon teaches kids interested in farming how a one-rai (0.4 of an acre) space behind the school could be used for integrated farming.

Students get to learn how to grow vegetables, chicken and fish, and the farm produce is eaten at lunch at the school or sold to locals.

"I want my students to have farming knowledge and apply the King's sufficiency economy concept so they are equipped with vocational skills," he said.

"What I want for the National Teachers' Day is a peaceful co-existence in society in which all kids are educated and equipped with life skills so they can fend for themselves and protect themselves from harm."

In the North, Somsak Wutthisat, a former outstanding teacher and the current school director of Ban Mae Rameung in Tak's Tha Song Yang district, urged the government to take care of rural teachers by increasing their pay and giving them welfare so that they had an incentive to remain in the rural area.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/PM-vows-to-tackle-welfare-education-issues-30252087.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-17

The headline says the PM ' vows ', then in the body it's ' would solve ' education issues then finally the PM ' hopes ' schools would be free of tea money issues.

How about promises of one of Thailand's infamous crackdowns on tea money and other corrupt practices in schools etc ?

Very weak for a so called leader to acknowledge the problem exists and just seems to wish it away.

• Like 2

I think over the past two decades we have seen this type of headline at least two dozen times the last dozen from the revolving door Education Ministers of The PTP administration , so what's new you might ask , nothing just amble talk from an Ex army General the feel good kind.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

"Prayut, who presided over an event to mark the occasion in Bangkok, expressed hope that all schools would be of good quality and be free from the "tea money" issue."

Maybe I've become too cynical after living in Thailand (Before, I was only quite cynical), but doesn't it look like the older teacher with the grey hair is holding out her hand for a "donation"?rolleyes.gif

Reminds me of the scene in Dr. Strangelove when Peter Sellers had to subdue the normal reaction of his right hand needing to salute/heil. Old habits die hard.

Maybe it's just a rumor, but the story going around is that Prayut is getting a Ph.D. from the Prayut School of Nuclear Radiology at one of the local universities.

Edited by jaltsc

Thailand needs to hire western organizations to study their parenting practices. Parents in Thailand have horrible practices that is costing the children an education and a wholesome life. That is the problem. Huge changes need to be made before they even think about the education school system

• Like 1

A few years back,Vietnam did an interesting thing. They closed ALL school, and then sent the teachers back to school. The instructors for the teachers? Foreigners from the US, Australia, UK. One of the main things they made them do is to learn English, and learn how to teach English. They also "Romanized" the Vietnamese language. This lasted for an entire year.

The retrained teachers then went back, English was taught as a second language, and within 2 years there was a major increase in literacy, math and science. Their international test scores and ranking increased tremendously.

And all this from a COMMUNIST country.

Hey, Thailand, look and learn.

• Like 2

Make sure teachers have enough time to teach for a purpose not just to finish a book.

Cut out the long school hours and the time wasting projects.

​Having the time to recharge and be healthy physically and emotionally

shouldn't be considered a luxury but for most of the teachers it is.

Not good

The other day I was in Central festival. I asked a rather nice looking lady of about 25 for a certain shoe size. No smile, she came back and said " no, I buy" After a minute I realised she meant shed sold that size. Ok, so I found another pair of shoes , I said yes, good shoes , and she said, still no smile " you pay". Now I've seen foreigners working in Central management, so should it not be " normal" that the salespeople have a basic knowledge of English in a mall that is practically catering only to foreigners ? It's the same problem everywhere you go, lack of language skills and manners. Even if I did not speak a language , I would at least say please and thank you in my own. I find this surly attitude very strange.

Will there EVER be media headlines stating what has been done/accomplish/progress made by ANY Thai government?

Seems to me it's ALWAY gonna/hope/suggest/ monitor/ have a study on... etc. etc. etc.

What a nation of do nothings (for citizens).

Mr. PM, while these are certainly noble issues to tackle...have you seen this article...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/792363-seven-people-killed-in-van-accident-in-songkhla/#entry8945974

...and many other similar articles on a daily basis. Me thinks tackling road accidents and road safety should be your number one priority. After all, isn't keeping people alive a good noble issue to tackle?

"We have to see how teachers can get extra pay because we cannot give a pay rise to all teachers,"

That's true as the Government has already spent the treasury giving government employees and pensioners pay raises as well as large subsidies to rubber and rice farmers. But then Gen. Prayuth needs those people's political support whereas teachers have no political influence.

"We have to see how teachers can get extra pay because we cannot give a pay rise to all teachers,"

That's true as the Government has already spent the treasury giving government employees and pensioners pay raises as well as large subsidies to rubber and rice farmers. But then Gen. Prayuth needs those people's political support whereas teachers have no political influence.

No political influence, maybe they should take a few lessons from the western teachers unions - then watch the skin and hair fly.

The headline says the PM ' vows ', then in the body it's ' would solve ' education issues then finally the PM ' hopes ' schools would be free of tea money issues.

How about promises of one of Thailand's infamous crackdowns on tea money and other corrupt practices in schools etc ?

Very weak for a so called leader to acknowledge the problem exists and just seems to wish it away.

Once upon a time I worked at a school that became very popular. The fees were reasonable (about 100,000 baht per year) and we had about 3 applicants for each place on the English Programme. Not ones to miss an opportunity, the school were in the process of buidling a huge new set of classrooms, but this would take at least a year. In the meantime, local competition for places at the school was fierce.

We would select the intake by testing the pre-P1 kids in a 30 minute test (very, very basic English and Maths combined). Some had no clue. some whizzed through it in five minutes. Although, some of those with no clue got to start the next term. I was (naively) confused.

The Director of Studies told me that most of the kids got accepted due to 'extra funding' offered by their parents to 'buy books and equipment for the school'. In reality, some of the brightest students didn't get in due to their parents not offering enough money. Those that offered the most would turn up at Mother's day to receive gifts on stage and be given the best tables at the end of term show. The test was simply a 'face saving' exercise. Obviously fine for those that had kids accepted, but what about the kid that knows he or she got all the answers right but is considered a 'failure'?

Does Thailand ever think about such things?

Shame. Thais are not as daft as many foreigners think. Like any of us, they know where the best schools (or best value in most cases) are in their areas. And they will do all they can to get their kid into that school.

• Like 1

The Nation

30252087-01_big.jpg

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha pays respect to his former teachers

BANGKOK: -- AS THE country celebrated National Teachers' Day yesterday, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said the government would solve education issues and take care of teachers' welfare.

Prayut, who presided over an event to mark the occasion in Bangkok, expressed hope that all schools would be of good quality and be free from the "tea money" issue.

He urged teachers to apply cyber technology in educating children on how to live in a changing society without creating conflict.

At the Education Ministry's Teachers Council of Thailand Hall, Prayut presented awards to individuals who had benefited from the Thai education system and paid his respects to his old teachers from Wat Nuannoradit School - Boonma Rattanaubon and Wijitra Chaipat.

In his two-hour speech, Prayut urged teachers of all faiths to propel the country forward and nurture students who abided by the law, were disciplined, and could compete with citizens of other countries.

He called on teachers to be prudent in their spending and focus on morality while following HM the King's sufficiency-economy principle.

He said the government planned a new approach to tackle the teachers' debt and welfare issues.

"We have to see how teachers can get extra pay because we cannot give a pay rise to all teachers," the PM said.

"Some teachers want more time to teach students. Since they claimed that a lot of time was needed for teacher evaluations, we must appropriately adjust and lessen the evaluation time."

Meanwhile, 400 teachers in the deep South province of Narathiwat vowed to perform their duties despite 346 other teachers in the province asking for transfers over safety fears.

At a ceremony in the province's Sungai Kolok district, which saw 70 outstanding educators honoured, Prasert Simcharoen led fellow teachers in making the vow.

They also stood in silence in remembrance of 187 slain teachers and other educational personnel, including schoolteacher Juling Pongkanmoon, who were murdered in Narathiwat's Rangae district in 2005.

Another teacher, Udon Saising, holds after-school classes on the King's sufficiency economy principle and teaches new theories through a hands-on approach along with his fulltime job at Ban Kotabaru School in Yala's Raman district.

Under the school's "Farming for Lunch" project, Udon teaches kids interested in farming how a one-rai (0.4 of an acre) space behind the school could be used for integrated farming.

Students get to learn how to grow vegetables, chicken and fish, and the farm produce is eaten at lunch at the school or sold to locals.

"I want my students to have farming knowledge and apply the King's sufficiency economy concept so they are equipped with vocational skills," he said.

"What I want for the National Teachers' Day is a peaceful co-existence in society in which all kids are educated and equipped with life skills so they can fend for themselves and protect themselves from harm."

In the North, Somsak Wutthisat, a former outstanding teacher and the current school director of Ban Mae Rameung in Tak's Tha Song Yang district, urged the government to take care of rural teachers by increasing their pay and giving them welfare so that they had an incentive to remain in the rural area.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/PM-vows-to-tackle-welfare-education-issues-30252087.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-01-17

wont happen keep em thick and they will do as thier told and believe all the bullshite thier told educate em then revolution

Like your endless hollow words on National Reform, Dear Leader, the devil is in the detail. Full of promises, never followed up on how, or when you will deliver.