Thai Language, is it important to learn?

His Masters Voice

To anyone who wants to learn Thai I would suggest you start learning from another Falung and get yourself to the stage where you can teach yourself. It will take around three years to get to a decent level and many more years to become close to fluent. Don't get put off by the tones they will come naturally with repetition and Thais will actively discourage you from learning Thai but you need to get past that.

Regarding people who are paranoid about Thais constantly gossiping about them, I can tell you they don't. If you get gossiped about in your own country then you will get gossiped about here but Thais will almost always do this privately.

• Like 2

To anyone who wants to learn Thai I would suggest you start learning from another Falung and get yourself to the stage where you can teach yourself. It will take around three years to get to a decent level and many more years to become close to fluent. Don't get put off by the tones they will come naturally with repetition and Thais will actively discourage you from learning Thai but you need to get past that.

Regarding people who are paranoid about Thais constantly gossiping about them, I can tell you they don't. If you get gossiped about in your own country then you will get gossiped about here but Thais will almost always do this privately.

From my perspective, I disagree Thais discourage learning Thai. Most I meet will correct me, very patiently. And you are right about the gossip. People gossip about the numbnuts.

sdanielmcev, on 18 Jan 2015 - 21:22, said:
ATF, on 18 Jan 2015 - 18:59, said:

From my perspective, I disagree Thais discourage learning Thai. Most I meet will correct me, very patiently. And you are right about the gossip. People gossip about the numbnuts.

Agree if you are in an office environment they will help you but we've all been in a restaurant where the waiter will ignore you and look at your GF to place the order.

A high percentage of farangs I know think they speak Thai, but really don't. Their pronunciation is so bad it is painful to listen to them.

A lot depends on your age and where you live and your future plans. If you're retired in Chiang Mai, don't bother, as many Thais here speak the Universal Language (English).

As far as knowing what they're saying behind you're back, you'll never know, unless you live in Bangkok, where Standard Thai is spoken. If you're in Issan, they will be speaking that dialect. You could solve that problem by learning both Standard Thai and Isaan Thai. How much of your life do you want to spend studying languages?

Back to Chiang Mai, if you live here, the way things are going, you might be better off learning Mandarin.

• Like 2

I don't even have basic Thai.

Despite coming here for years and now living here I know maybe 100/200 words,

language doesn't come easily to me.

Learning a new language doesn't come easily to anyone. Those who succeed at it put in a lot of work to do so.

yes it does, Ive known folk come here for a year and know very good thai, they are just built that way.

Same as u or I can never be a brain surgeon.

I'd say think about what you hope to get out of learning Thai and go from there. If you want to be a little more independent and be able to have casual conversations with the people on your soi, then learning a little Thai will be good for you. However, if your intent is to have a better connection with locals and make more Thai friends, then think again. B/c I've found most Thais- even the ones that speak English well- just aren't that interested in foreigners.

that says something about you then beccause that sure aint the case where I live

A high percentage of farangs I know think they speak Thai, but really don't. Their pronunciation is so bad it is painful to listen to them.

A lot depends on your age and where you live and your future plans. If you're retired in Chiang Mai, don't bother, as many Thais here speak the Universal Language (English).

As far as knowing what they're saying behind you're back, you'll never know, unless you live in Bangkok, where Standard Thai is spoken. If you're in Issan, they will be speaking that dialect. You could solve that problem by learning both Standard Thai and Isaan Thai. How much of your life do you want to spend studying languages?

Back to Chiang Mai, if you live here, the way things are going, you might be better off learning Mandarin.

Thankfully I live in Central Thailand and my understanding is Standard Thai is the language spoken in these parts.

My wife does encourage me to learn Thai, but the best I can do is to learn a phrase.

But I am limited to 'Taxi-Man Thai'. 'Suk San whan Songkran' ... usually gets me a smile from many.

A smile returned from me with hands up and a 'mai our krup' usually allows me to stay dry.

I understand the general consensus is that I should, at least learn basic Thai, but honestly, I've really enjoyed my time here.

Have developed some relationships away from my Partner with some English speaking Thais.

Maybe they want to practise their English, I don't know, I'm just happy for their company.

I was quite touched when, the Christmas before last when we caught up for dinner, they bought me a Christmas Present which would have cost a modest amount.

When we catch up and travel together (me, wife and friends) and we have to take one of the friends cars because it's more reliable them mine, I'm usually requested to drive. They trust me with that, they can gossip, I just need help with some basic directions. I have my full (5 year) Thai Drivers licence, so insurance is not an issue for them.

Just my story.

... but we've all been in a restaurant where the waiter will ignore you and look at your GF to place the order.

That happens to me all the time, but I'm comfortable with that.

If I order Thai food, when I first came here, I would have a limited choice of dishes I would eat, well, more correctly, I was familiar with.

But my various partners have helped me explore Thai cuisine more. So I'm happy to have my wife order the various dishes.

I don't like offal, blood in Thai soups and I walk away from fried chicken feet bah.gif

But I would have never tried fried catfish before. Not served as a whole fish but when it comes 'whisked up' all light and airy.

Anyone know the name for this dish?

For me, one of the secrets to enjoying Thailand is taking the time to choose the right partner. Finding someone who you trust.

Someone you are a friend and lover with, and from that, comes trust.

Having the right partner really helps me overcome the majority of the obstacles I would usually face by not comprehending the Thai Language.

• Like 1

I'd say think about what you hope to get out of learning Thai and go from there. If you want to be a little more independent and be able to have casual conversations with the people on your soi, then learning a little Thai will be good for you. However, if your intent is to have a better connection with locals and make more Thai friends, then think again. B/c I've found most Thais- even the ones that speak English well- just aren't that interested in foreigners.

that says something about you then beccause that sure aint the case where I live

Or maybe it says something about your expectations for the company you keep. Anyway, you see an instant difference in the way people treat you and interact with you when you travel to other nations, even ones within the region. Sorry, I'm not Thai bashing here, but there definitely seems to be a unique relationship between Thais and foreigners.

His Masters Voice, on 19 Jan 2015 - 05:28, said:

But I would have never tried fried catfish before. Not served as a whole fish but when it comes 'whisked up' all light and airy.

Anyone know the name for this dish?

It's called Plah Dook Foo.

• Like 1

Or maybe it says something about your expectations for the company you keep. Anyway, you see an instant difference in the way people treat you and interact with you when you travel to other nations, even ones within the region. Sorry, I'm not Thai bashing here, but there definitely seems to be a unique relationship between Thais and foreigners.

not true. it must be something in your manner. the company I keep are ordinary thais going about their daily business. some speak english, most dont. my condolences on your inability to relate.

Edited by AYJAYDEE
  • Like 1

At the very least, practicing Thai will save you from sounding like an idiot speaking pidgin English to everyone.

Of course, in the beginning you'll just sound like an idiot in Thai instead of English. Unlike the former option however, that will be temporary.

not true. it must be something in your manner. the company I keep are ordinary thais going about their daily business. some speak english, most dont. my condolences on your inability to relate.

You know, I'll admit, my first comment was a negative. I get along with Thais just fine. Most of em are friendly, especially outside of BKK. I have a handful of Thai friends. And everyone on my soi is cool with me. But there's still some kind of barrier. A lack of connection. I don't know how to describe it any better than that. I don't get that vibe at all from Laos, Khmers, or Burmese. I don't get it from Japanese or Koreans or Chinese either. Or anyone else in the world. Only Thais.

I'd rather not comprehend the vile slurs people are constantly uttering about me.

How do you know they are 'vile slurs' if you don't understand them.

Unless of course you believe you deserve vile slurs.

Maybe because the vocal part of communication is actually nowhere near as clear to understand as body language.

In other words it depends on the way that you say something rather than what it is you are saying.

To show an example of what I am trying to impart, if I was to say to you that you were a right burke but I said it to you smiling and with a hug, you would take it a little less seriously then if i said the same words in a bad tempered and threatening manner.

i dont speak thai and as i dont hang around with lower educated thai's who cant speak english it isn't a problem.

sure, if i intended to date/marry such girls i'd learn the language otherwise how do you communicate?

in my experience due to the lack of freedom of speech in the media here, the dirge on tv and the fact that most thai's dont read books unless a thai has had a good education and/or travelled abroad they dont have that much interesting to say. and what they do say usually lacks perspective and/or insightful context.

so i have no motivation and dont see advantages of learning the language.

How on earth would you know that "they don't have much interesting to say" if you have never had a conversation in Thai with Thais?

The book my wife is currently reading is Jane Eyre having just finished reading a non-fiction book titled "Critical Thinking". She is definitely not "hi-so" (judging from, amongst other things, her parents do not have a single glass or cup in their house, just a communal drinking bowl, and not a chair or table either).

The neighbour kids all sit together reading of an afternoon. I've never seen a soap on any of the neighbours' TV's, just news, muay Thai, cartoons for the kids, football.

You really shouldn't generalise, especially since you obviously do not know.

To the OP

I've been here 8 months and learning from wifey and the neighbours by ear, augmented by "Thai2English". Unfortunately, I'm getting a mixture of Southern and Central Thai, which can complicate things somewhat, but I can follow conversations and usually get the gist. Local retailers have very little English, and have come to expect farang to have no Thai or very poor Thai. I get a lot of respect with my limited but well-spoken Thai, and it serves me well.

I can't imagine NOT learning the host country's language, wherever I am.

You know, I'll admit, my first comment was a negative. I get along with Thais just fine. Most of em are friendly, especially outside of BKK. I have a handful of Thai friends. And everyone on my soi is cool with me. But there's still some kind of barrier. A lack of connection. I don't know how to describe it any better than that. I don't get that vibe at all from Laos, Khmers, or Burmese. I don't get it from Japanese or Koreans or Chinese either. Or anyone else in the world. Only Thais.

must be something in your subconscious.

• Like 1

must be something in your subconscious.

Fine, it's me. My standard of truth, ability to accept criticism, and willingness to speak with anyone regardless of what my friends will think of me is just too whack for this place.

Edited by eldragon

As a non-resident, who will retire to Thailand eventually, my attitude is I will learn Manana (that's Spanish, I know). Learning a new language is supposedly more difficult the older one gets, so this does trouble me somewhat. By the way, I'm amazed the OP can't follow Thai soaps because he doesn't speak Thai. I find them generally easy to follow and hilarious to boot.