G7 Countries - Overland boarder crossing get 30 days visa?

Is it possible if you are a passport holder from one of the G7 countries to get a 30 day visa without having to stay overnight on a border run?

I intend to go to Laos and return the same day and wondered if any ne has done this recently and what is required.

You don't need to stay in Laos for more time than it takes to leave Thailand cross into Laos and turn around and come back in. You will have to purchase a VOA to enter Laos, $35 (depending on what country you are from). The crackdown is on "back to back" visa exempt entries", more than one in a row might/will be questioned.

You get a 30 day visa exempt entry (it is not a visa) at a border crossing if you are from a G7 country. You can leave. enter the other country, turn around and come right back,

You can also can get a 30 day extension of a visa exempt entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht. If you have a visa exempt entry now getting an extension would be better than doing a crossing.

I am a US citizen and I have made the minivan trip to Cambodia, hadlunch, turned around and came back into Thailand and got the 30 day visa exempt stamp. As UJ said, they even have a new rule that allows you to simply pay the fee at an immigration office and get 30 more days, without having to make a trip across the border

• Like 1

You don't need to stay in Laos for more time than it takes to leave Thailand cross into Laos and turn around and come back in. You will have to purchase a VOA to enter Laos, $35 (depending on what country you are from). The crackdown is on "back to back" visa exempt entries", more than one in a row might/will be questioned.

Thanks for that info. I entered Thailand on a 90 day "O" visa based on married to a Thai national so I have no back to back entries.

Only reason why I am thinking of a border run is because my wife works and cannot get time off to visit the local immigration office.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I recently had two friends cross at Friendship Bridge, Nong Khai. One Danish one USA citizen. Both were given the 15 day visa exemption, not 30 days.

The American should have been given 30 days visa exempt entry. Something is screwed up with that.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I recently had two friends cross at Friendship Bridge, Nong Khai. One Danish one USA citizen. Both were given the 15 day visa exemption, not 30 days.

The American should have been given 30 days visa exempt entry. Something is screwed up with that.

I was one of the first to get this 30 day exemption when the new rules came out in late 2013. Iheard about it on Thai visa but when I called around, zero of 5 travel agencies or visa run companies i talked with had heard of it except one, bangkokbuddytravel service. One did make a phone call when I mentioned it, but I was skeptical they really did it. So, my point is there might be a fair chance some of the immigration stations are not aware of it.

Thanks for that info. I entered Thailand on a 90 day "O" visa based on married to a Thai national so I have no back to back entries.

Only reason why I am thinking of a border run is because my wife works and cannot get time off to visit the local immigration office.

You entered on a 90 day non-O and you want to stay for how long ?

You know an extension is 60 days, and your wife MAY only have to be present when you submit your application.

I extended mine twice, once the missus stood their for 30 seconds while I submitted my documents, didn't say a word, she said "what a waste of time", then went back to work. When the passport came back the IO asked where my wife was .. I said gone to toilet and he gave me the passport.

The next time, I went one day, they refused to give me an extension as I had one before, I left. Went back the next day and they granted me 30 days without her even being there.

I would say, if you live in the provinces - just try applying for an extension on your own rather than taking a trip. 1900b for 30 days is cheaper than going to Laos to get 30 days exemption.

You might end up with a full extension.

You know an extension is 60 days, and your wife MAY only have to be present when you submit your application.

I extended mine twice, once the missus stood their for 30 seconds while I submitted my documents, didn't say a word, she said "what a waste of time", then went back to work. When the passport came back the IO asked where my wife was .. I said gone to toilet and he gave me the passport.

The next time, I went one day, they refused to give me an extension as I had one before, I left. Went back the next day and they granted me 30 days without her even being there.

I would say, if you live in the provinces - just try applying for an extension on your own rather than taking a trip. 1900b for 30 days is cheaper than going to Laos to get 30 days exemption.

Yes I agree it's worth a try going on my own asking for a 30 day extension at the local immigration office. Worst comes to worst I'll do a border run.

Thanks for the info.

The member states of the G7 are the United States, United Kingdom, France, Canada, Italy, Japan and Germany. They are collectively known as the "Group of Seven,"

Explains why the Dane didn't get 30 days no reason why the American didn't though...maybe he did not remind them of his entitlement?

If you can show original Thai marriage license, copy (signed )of wife's ID, yellow book or proof of address you get a 60 days extension at the Immigration office at 1900 baht. They might may make a problem later on if you re-enter on a "tourist" entry/visa exemption.

If you can show original Thai marriage license, copy (signed )of wife's ID, yellow book or proof of address you get a 60 days extension at the Immigration office at 1900 baht. They might may make a problem later on if you re-enter on a "tourist" entry/visa exemption.

Copies of the wife's house book register would be needed also.

Most people do not have a yellow book.

How or why would they make a problem if he gets a visa exempt entry.

Yes I agree it's worth a try going on my own asking for a 30 day extension at the local immigration office. Worst comes to worst I'll do a border run.

Thanks for the info.

Why not simply go to Savvanakhet and get a multi entry one year...save you a lot of hassle in the future and will last upto 15 months.....very easy and you can have it same day if youre early enough.....seeing as you got to go out anyway........

The member states of the G7 are the United States, United Kingdom, France, Canada, Italy, Japan and Germany. They are collectively known as the "Group of Seven,"

Explains why the Dane didn't get 30 days no reason why the American didn't though...maybe he did not remind them of his entitlement?

Yes, you maybe correct. I think it ws just a dozy/lazy immigration officer. I have a triple entry 60 day visa and had to point this out to him too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Savanakhet stayed there 30 mins had a beer and came back into Thailand with a 30 day extension.

The immigration had a list of all the G7 countries on the wall.