Is it possible to learn to read and write Thai script in 60 days?

hansomman

Is it possible to learn to read and write Thai script in a timeframe of 60 days if someone of average ability took on the task as a full time 6-8 hour per day job? Or is this a very unreasonable expectation and it takes years to learn how to read and write?

Note: I have only basic conversational Thai ability ( learned from CD courses like Pimsleur and Rosseta ) and know absolutely nothing about written Thai.

In that sort of time scale you'll be able to decode what you read, but it will be slow. You'll be nowhere near the level to read a newspaper.

You'll be able to write simple sentences, but will make a lot of spelling mistakes.

Yes, possible to learn the alphabet, grammar rules and exception etc.

But it won't do much to you if your knowledge of the spoken language is limited, i.e. you still need to understand what you are reading. Having said that, learning the reading and writing will definately improve your spoken Thai.

Yes definitely.

Level 2 of the Chula Intensive Thai course only teaches reading/writing for roughly 6 weeks (90 hours in class + homework) and the students can all competently read/write by the time they are finished level 2.

After learning to read/write, there would be some words which you would still have trouble with, as some words are a little bit different, but you have to just learn these through experience/practice, and of course by increasing your vocabulary.

Hang on. It depends on how old you are, how habituated you are to learning stuff, how well you understand your own language. I am 66 and after three years of irregular attacks on the Thai language am at the same stage as I was 45 years ago after three months learning Swiss German.

Thai spelling is a lot more consistent with pronunciation than English. So yes, you will be able to learn the Thai alphabet and read words but your vocabulary will be low and you'll need a dictionary to look up their meaning.

i would say yes. you can start decoding quite quickly, and you'll read your first word before you know it.

however, getting to the point where you're reading thai children's books at a reasonable comprehension rate and at a reasonable speed takes time and effort.

it's totally worth it though! get in the habit of reading every day and sight reading words is not too far off.

if you want a time scale, i'd say with hard work and disciplined study habits you can learn to read at roughly the same speed as a primary school child.

i've been reading for about 2 hours a day for the past four years and I m roughly at a year 4 level.

it helps to have a thai gf, go to some kind of thai classes, and a private tutor.

From personal experience, I'd say with an hour of practice each day you should be able to comprehend and write the script well within a month i.e. it won't look like just squiggles and you'll be able to pronounce written Thai words. In terms of actually reading, the part which takes most time is distinguishing between words. Until you build up at least some basic vocabulary you won't be able to make sense of what you're reading. However, once you know some common written words you'll be able to understand where unknown words start and finish and be able to progress much more quickly.

60 days isn't an unreasonable time frame, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to read and write at a decent level. You probably won't be reading newspapers quickly and writing essays, but you should be able to order food (at the places where you write your food order on a a piece of paper and give it to the chef) , have basic text conversations and read road signs. It will be very possible to be at that level.

You probably won't be reading newspapers quickly and writing essays, but you should be able to order food (at the places where you write your food order on a a piece of paper and give it to the chef) , have basic text conversations and read road signs. It will be very possible to be at that level.

My goal is to have a 1st or 2nd graders reading/writing ability. As you stated if I can have basic text message convos in Thai script, read signs and menues, and sort of makeout the general subject for harder texts ( like a newspaper ) I'll consider it good progress.

You probably won't be reading newspapers quickly and writing essays, but you should be able to order food (at the places where you write your food order on a a piece of paper and give it to the chef) , have basic text conversations and read road signs. It will be very possible to be at that level.

My goal is to have a 1st or 2nd graders reading/writing ability. As you stated if I can have basic text message convos in Thai script, read signs and menues, and sort of makeout the general subject for harder texts ( like a newspaper ) I'll consider it good progress.

Best of luck, it's a reasonable goal for sure. My starting point for the script was a little booklet that comes with the Linguaphone Thai course. It's pretty old but does the job quickly.