Latest Charlie Hebdo cover continues to roil Muslim world

Lite Beer

Latest Charlie Hebdo cover continues to roil Muslim world
ASHRAF KHALIL, Associated Press

CAIRO (AP) — The famed French weekly Charlie Hebdo has continued to draw a somewhat contradictory reaction across the Muslim world. Many Muslims have expressed disgust at the deadly assault on the magazine's Paris office by Islamic extremists who killed 12 people.

However many also remain deeply offended by the magazine's record of publishing cartoons lampooning the Prophet Muhammad. Those passions were further inflamed this week when the magazine's first issue following the attack carried a cover cartoon depicting Muhammad holding a "Je Suis Charlie" sign.

According to mainstream Islamic tradition, any physical depiction of the Prophet Muhammad — even a respectful one — is considered blasphemous.

In the West African nation of Niger, President Mahamadou Issoufou said at least 10 people have been killed after violent protests broke out against the latest cartoon depicting Muhammad in the French publication.

Issoufou said that five deaths were reported after demonstrations in the capital of Niamey on Saturday. The victims were inside churches and bars that were set ablaze, he said. On Friday, at least five people were killed in the town of Zinder after prayer services there.

Iranian judicial authorities on Saturday banned a daily newspaper for publishing a front-page headline that allegedly indicated support for Charlie Hebdo. Mohammad Ghoochani, chief editor of the daily Mardom-e-Emrooz, or Today's People, told the semi-official Tasnim news agency that his paper had been ordered closed. The paper's Tuesday edition featured a front-page article with a headline that quoted filmmaker and activist George Clooney as saying "I am Charlie Hebdo." However the accompanying article did not actually express support for Clooney's statement, nor for the magazine itself.

The Iranian government has publicly condemned both the attack on Charlie Hebdo and the magazine itself, calling the continued publishing of Muhammad caricatures "provocative" and an insult to Islam.

Elsewhere in the Muslim world on Saturday, Afghanistan's President Ashraf Ghani condemned Charlie Hebdo, calling the newest cover image of Prophet Muhammad a blasphemous and irresponsible act.

"Freedom of expression should be used in a way to boost understanding between the religions," he said in a statement issued by the presidential palace. "Afghanistan has suffered many years of war and violence, more than any other country, and it is necessary to understand and promote peaceful coexistence among all the people of the world."

Iraq's Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi also issued a statement of condemnation, warning that, "offensive words might lead to further bloodshed."

Al-Abadi called on all parties to "desist such practices that create an atmosphere of division and rejection." He also reiterated his condemnation of the attacks on innocent victims in Paris, saying that terrorism, "has nothing to do with Islam in any way."

Protesters also demonstrated in front of the French Embassy in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, as well as in the Pakistani city of Karachi. In Egypt, the Islamist Noor Party denounced the latest Charlie Hebdo cover on its French-language Facebook page. "Just as the Noor Party rejects the assault on civilians and the negative effects it has for all Muslims of Europe, it also rejects this barbaric, irresponsible act under the name of freedom of expression," the statement declared.

In Gaza City, the capital of the Gaza Strip, unknown vandals scrawled graffiti on the walls of the French Cultural Center. In addition to statements praising the Prophet Muhammad and declaring him off-limits for ridicule or satire, the vandals also wrote: "To hell, to a miserable destiny, French journalists."

___

Associated Press writers Ali Akbar Dareini in Tehran, Iran, Lynne O'Donnell in Kabul, Afghanistan and Vivian Salama in Baghdad contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-01-18

I hate this paper, sorry MY opinion, since the first day I said I am not Charlie, why? Here is the link for many of they carricatures, what do YOU think about it?

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=charlie+hebdo&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=oz67VKQ3i7NR3oSEwAs&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=976&bih=542

Here's a tip. Don't buy it or access it in any form. Problem solved.

• Like 2

I hate this paper, sorry MY opinion, since the first day I said I am not Charlie, why? Here is the link for many of they carricatures, what do YOU think about it?

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=charlie+hebdo&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=oz67VKQ3i7NR3oSEwAs&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=976&bih=542

Funny stuff, thanks !! At this point, I am pretty sure they have woken the sleeping

dragon, so the easily offended Muslim radicals can look forward to a whole lot

more cartoons from Charlie Hebdo lampooning their " leader"... :-)

• Like 2

Since I seee he has attacked other religions, what is the BIG DEAL???? This is his showing through caricatures, joking about rligious and political figures in the world. Not just one person or religion. If you don't like it don't buy it!!! coffee1.gif

• Like 2

<snipped>

I find it remarkable that the left while supporting Islam and Muslims are so stupid and ignornant that while supporting the muslims they are actually supporting killing of homosexuals and treating women like 2nd class citizens

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7TAAw3oQvg[/media]

Rubbish. People who support or do not support Islam are not divided on your left/right axis. I am fairly left leaning, but I don't support Islam. I don't condemn it either. I expect anyone living in any country to respect the laws, culture and ethos of the country. Those who don't will have to face the punishment.

• Like 2

I grew up reading Mad Magazine. It was irreverent and also funny. They were never hateful.

These guys are irreverent and baiting. They are hateful.

I don't agree with government limiting free speech, because while now they'll only take an inch, later it will be a mile. But if people don't have the common decency and selflessness to limit themselves, then governments are going to step in, and we are all going to have our rights taken away, methodically, piece by piece.

• Like 1

<snipped>

I find it remarkable that the left while supporting Islam and Muslims are so stupid and ignornant that while supporting the muslims they are actually supporting killing of homosexuals and treating women like 2nd class citizens

Rubbish. People who support or do not support Islam are not divided on your left/right axis. I am fairly left leaning, but I don't support Islam. I don't condemn it either. I expect anyone living in any country to respect the laws, culture and ethos of the country. Those who don't will have to face the punishment.

If you don't condemn it then you condone the atrocities committed in it's name.

• Like 1

I grew up reading Mad Magazine. It was irreverent and also funny. They were never hateful.

I don't agree with government limiting free speech, because while now they'll only take an inch, later it will be a mile. But if people don't have the common decency and selflessness to limit themselves, then governments are going to step in, and we are all going to have our rights taken away, methodically, piece by piece.

I take it the limiting of free speech should only apply to to Muslim sensitivity? Jokes are made about Christianity by comedians, and artists have also depicted Christ in a less than flattering light. Don't recall any artists or comedians being killed in Christ's name, not since the Inquisition anyway.

<snipped>

If you don't condemn it then you condone the atrocities committed in it's name.

Wow, is that straight from the George Bush book of quotes!

I don't condone any atrocities. I don't any attempt to create any legal system other than the one operating in a country. I don't support gov't interfering in religious activities among willing participants, nor do I condone religious people interfering in the laws of a country.

• Like 2

Here's a tip. Don't buy it or access it in any form. Problem solved.

Where do you see a problem, for me there is none at all!

I never bought it, I ignored it, in fact almost forgot its existence till a few days ago, so I had not the smalest problem with it.

But since the whole world is talking about it I gave my opinion too!

But may I still say this extreme left paper was never my cup of tea, nowadays not sure anymore smile.png

Loved the quote from the Afghan president about freedom of expression LOL - the cat calling the kettle indeed - what an intolerant and silly but deeply worrying religion

"The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan does not recognize any Afghan citizens as being Christians, nor are Afghan citizens legally permitted to convert to Christianity. Although there are no explicit laws that forbid proselytizing, many authorities and most of society view the practice as contrary to the beliefs of Islam.[1] There is only one legally recognized church in Afghanistan and it is located within the diplomatic enclave, and not open to local nationals.[1] There are also Christian religious facilities at the foreign military bases, such as an Eastern Orthodox church at the Romanian base in Kandahar.[2][3][4]"

• Like 1

Credo

Wow, is that straight from the George Bush book of quotes!

I don't condone any atrocities. I don't any attempt to create any legal system other than the one operating in a country. I don't support gov't interfering in religious activities among willing participants, nor do I condone religious people interfering in the laws of a country.

If I'm quoting from GB then you are talking straight from the book of Gobbledegook.

• Like 1

Absolutely HeijoshinCool, me too I Liked mad Magazine you expressed it well irreverent but never hatefull, this Charlie Hebdo on the contrary almost vomit on anything IMHO at least its not even funny, by the way they were on the verge of bankruptcy.

You obviously havnt bothered to read the Quran have you. Have a read and get back to us with your wholesome ideas once you have seen what real intolerance is.

People being people there will always be good and bad in any group.

Given the number of muslims in the world, it's inevitable that there will be a few bad ones but it needs to be remembered that the vast majority of muslims are peaceful and are as disgusted by these acts of terrorism as anyone else.

Having said that, it's irresponsible to make cartoons for the sole purpose of offending others.

• Like 2

I take it the limiting of free speech should only apply to to Muslim sensitivity? Jokes are made about Christianity by comedians, and artists have also depicted Christ in a less than flattering light. Don't recall any artists or comedians being killed in Christ's name, not since the Inquisition anyway.

You take it that way because you are speaking for me, words I never uttered.

And you do that, because you totally missed the point.

• Like 1