Growing Red Wines in Thailand?

Yes is very easy to produce, I was used to living and working in norway, I has produced apple wine for myself this is legal.

I bought 20 ltr. of apple juice put it in a 20 ltr. plastic container add yeast, then depending on the temperature around 15 - 20 degrees Celsius is fine, after around 2 weeks you having wine, I got a perfect quality.

Anyway there is a problem to transport juice in bulkhauls you have to keep the temperature between +5 - 10 C or fermentation starts.

Temperature up and downs during transportations is bad for the wine quality, in the worst case you having by arrival vinegar already.

You're taking me back! When I was in jail we used to make pruno jail wine out of apples, oranges or fruit cocktail and keep it hidden in plastic bag in a toilet. Depending on cell checks and yes of course the temperatures you mentioned we would get a very dry Merlot we called "Turdlot". You are gonna love my cheesemaking technique also.

I can't justify paying $50-80 per bottle for Thai wine, I bought a bottle before and it did not t, aste that good. I'll be happy with a $40 of low range lafite from wine store.

That's just insane prices, making a nice label selling to Bordeaux and Bourgogne prices for almost vinegar rubbish, this is not my intension.

I don't trust any wine producer, to maximise their profit they spray any kind of bullshit onto the grapes.

I remember my parents wanting to grow vines and "make their own wine". Northern California microclimate and soil which produces award winning vintages. Chardonnay vines planted.

A four year effort yielding little more than screaming and vinegar.

One of the things you have to be carefull about is fungal diseases which affect the vines in areas of high humidity.

Here is a USA site on growing vines in a high humidity area. http://www.winepros.org/wine101/viniculture.htm

Plus one from the UK. http://www.grapegrowingguide.com/pest-control.html

The reason that you sometimes see Roses planted at the head of each row of vines is that many of the diseases and insects which attack the grape vine also attack the Rose. you will see the signs on the Rose bush first usually before they attack your grape vines.

If you are planning a Winery style, tourist attraction vineyard, then be knowledgeable of the fact that many places that are set up like this which have vines growing are often purely decorative, advertising for the tourists and the grapes or slurry is shipped in from outside areas and fermented and stored on-site.

So, you locate the 'Wineary' where the people/Tourists are and import the grapes from the areas where grapes grow best.

This is a must read article on Grape Production in Thailand. http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/x6897e/x6897e0a.htm

Exactly right. They must be spraying the hell out of the vines to control mildew.

Back in the States, I know the premium grapes are not grown in the hot areas. Cool evenings seem to be a key factor.

Chataeu Loei has been mentioned to me by a wine friend but I have not tasted yet.

Would it be viable to import premium bulk grape juice (saving alcohol tax) from the Napa Valley and ferment it here I wonder?

I know some wineries that will sell you a tanker of chilled fresh Chardonnay, Cabernet, etc. juice.

In California, wine grapes are indeed grown in hot areas, but these areas cool off at night by 30 -50 degrees, which the grapes love. A grapevine shuts down after 95 degrees, and will do nothing until it goes under that number. This prevents the vine from being overstressed trying to work when it cannot. You will find temperatures in the Sierra Foothills that go as high as 115 degrees during the day, and dropping into the 60's at night. In Sonoma County, the Cabernet's love the hot daytime weather of 105 degrees, and then the 70's at night. The grapes in California are not sprayed for mildew caused by humidity like we have here in Thailand, but when rain threatens.

You would not be able to grow Cabernet's, Merlots, or Chardonnay's in this climate.

Not everywhere in Thailand is much rain.

Actually several vineries in my region(Rhine River not so far from Heidelberg) producing Merlot with very good results and reasonable prices.

Last sunday, I drank a bottle with a friend to dinner.

Was very good, costs 0.75 bottle under 6€.

But we are more famous for our white wines like Riesling, Weißburgunder(Cabernet, Chardonnay) and Grauburgunder(Pinot Gris, Pinot Grigio.

All this for very reasonable prices(5 €/bottle), when you know the small vineries to buy.

• Like 1

just outside Pattay ,very large vineyard ,iv tried growing grapes ,no luck ,maybe the soil ,

Only the soil is never the problem is a combination of soil, weather and water, then you have to choose the right grapevines for this region.

Also very important about location, grapevines don't like a flood.

I've visited a number of wineries across Thailand, including Chataeu Loei and I never found anything I wanted to drink again. There are a combination of factors but the climate is just too hot for good wine grapes.

I remember pointing out to the Thai girl manning the tasting room at Chataeu Loei that the wine had turned on the red wine being tasted. She didn't do anything about it.

I remember one winery talking about how two crops a year were possible but they decided that they could get better results with one.

I've given up drinking wine in LOS but with the occasional glass of chateau de cardboard. One of few things I really miss about living in Northern California. Another Sangsom/coke please.

Regarding producing an alcoholic drink from apples, I used to do the same in Australia, brewing up 40 litres of apple juice each Autumn. However, we called this APPLE CIDER.

I decanted it and added sugar and it had a kick like a mule! SCRUMPY CIDER.

However, can anyone tell me what Thai wines cost? I've never seen them on sale in the larger wine shops here.

There must be some reasoning to justify a 300% price difference between wines sold in Australia, and what we're being charged here.

Don't tell me that's it's to control alcohol consumption, as it's obvious that the "Whisky" they sell here is not imported and had Duty and Tax added.

You made a simple, but big mistake you add sugar this produce headache and is ingeneral unhealthy.

Applewine (Apfelwein(ebbelwoi) is naturally sour and is very healthy, I mix it usually with about 50% or more clear sober water in my glass the best drink, when it is hot weather.

I use it also as Vinegar in all my salads together with olive oil extra vergine.

If your drink every day minium 1/4 ltr. of apple wine you will never getting a thrombosis, caused this make the blood thinner and keep it running.

Keeping this rule a lot off ppl can just throwing their medicines away, about blood sugar, high blood pressure etc. check the links.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apfelwein

99% of the apple wine sold under the name Cider or Cidre is just rubbish, caused they add sugar.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-116454/A-cider-day-keeps-doctor-away-say-scientists.html

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/apple-cider-vinegar-and-health

http://www.rd.com/slideshows/apple-cider-vinegar-benefits/

I'm sure you could grow bananas in Antarctica but do you really

want to ?

If it's for your own consumption / hobby then why not but if you

want to grow red wines in Thailand then there are other people

doing it already,, have a look at the link below,, good grapes

(growing red wines) like the yellow zone,, in that area your red

wines will be a success as growing bananas in Antarctica will

not. good luck.

http://winefolly.com/tutorial/warm-climate-vs-cool-climate-wine/

http://www.irrawaddy.org/culture/growing-grapes-golden-land.html

Here is one that has been in production for many years and they produce a very nice fresh white, http://chateaudeloei.com/history.html

Also a drinkable red, they have won many awards.

I make a point of visiting every time we go "Home" to Loei and buy a couple of boxes to take back

I have checked the website already, but I did'nt found any prices!!???

In general Awards says nothing to me, we having in my region some small vineries they never go to Awards competitons, but they selling vine like hell.

Caused very high quality for very reasonable prices the Awards boosting only up the price, but don't making the wine better.

Simple said, taste it yourself.

1. You have to like the taste.

2. How feeling your stomach after 1 bottle.

3. Feel good drink 1 bottle or 2 more the best to dinner and drinking the same amout of nam plow besides very important.

If you then stand up the next morning, no headache or any hangover, then it's a good wine. thumbsup.gif

Why this test? In case of to much pesticides, insecticides, fungicides and what else you will feel it. sick.gifcrazy.gifcrying.gifunsure.png

just outside Pattay ,very large vineyard ,iv tried growing grapes ,no luck ,maybe the soil ,

Silver Lake is the vineyard outside Pattaya, my wife bought me some red from there, it was awful.

I have red grapes growing in my garden, obviously not for wine production but they are now 3 year old and growing strong, the white ones planted at the same time are yet to bear fruit.

Do the red grapes having small kernels inside, getting dark colour and sweet when you let hang them long enough?

Then let them getting very sweet, put the grapes in a sober bottle about half full, then add a good sober Schnaps with not so much own taste(no lao khao or bullshit like this) made of fruits, or you can also use a clear rum(like Barcadi) made in thailand and don't add sugar or somethings else, then close the bottle let it stay 1 month in a relative dark room no direct sun on the bottle.

After 1 month you will having the finest Liqeur you can imagine.

To your white wine after 3 years no grapes is just hopeless wrong climate dump it and plant more of your red wine.

• Like 1

Except for Chateau de Loei, I have been to all Thai wineries buying cases of their product, regularly. Monsoon Valley in Hua Hin is nice to visit in the hills. Their Shiraz Roses win medals in Europe. Their best reds are based on Shiraz and the Italian Sangiovese grapes. They also offer white Colombard. Very nice wine farms in Khao Yai area. Best dry whites at Granmonte using Chenin Blanc. They also have Verdelho (unique Portuguese), Viognier, and Cabernet Sauvignon (French, rare in Thailand). PB Valley produced some excellent reds with Spanish Tempranillo. The French winemaker at Village Farm uses Shiraz for their Chateau des Brumes. There are many respectable wines in Thailand. Thaibashers on TV have been degrading them regularly. Mostly in the category Value for Money. Please. Stick to your boxed Plonk. I prefer my Thai table wines over any box.

Import tax of 400% kept me from importing containers of excellent wines. Thought they wanted to protect their small wine industry. Not so! Local producers pay same as Ad Valorem tax. The political reason behind this stupidity is oil on the fires of Thaibashers.

Importing "juice" is cheaper, but I wouldn't go down that road.

I would very interesting to hear about prices you paid for your Thai vines.

Also interesting about the taxes the local producers have to pay, please provide some figures.

You are 100% right never importing juice in Bulks there is a big chance to receive vinegar. crazy.gif

@Wikinger

Uhudler from Südburgenland. Known for resistance against all kinds of pest. Wasn't that outlawed some time ago for poisoning consumers with Methanol?

Uhudler is made of red Amerikaner grapes, as you said resistant against any kind of pests, I have them in my garden in germany very sweet, but full of small stones.

This grapes are forbidden to produces commercial wine in EU and USA etc.

Only in Southeast of Austria, on the Italian and Slovenia border they got the rights to produce until 2030.

In the Burgenland and also in some parts of germany(Mosel), they has add Glycol to the wine, not Methanol.

This was mainly made by big winedealers to getting more wine, caused glycol was cheaper and no own taste, anyway some was going in prison a lot had to pay fines.

Result they destroyed the reputation of the whole region, the mostly sober vinemakers was real angry, caused this scandal destroyed the business for all, for years.

PS: Glycol is what you normaly to mix with water and put in your car cooler to avoid that the water freeze. Very healthy sick.gifcrazy.gif

Yes is very easy to produce, I was used to living and working in norway, I has produced apple wine for myself this is legal.

I bought 20 ltr. of apple juice put it in a 20 ltr. plastic container add yeast, then depending on the temperature around 15 - 20 degrees Celsius is fine, after around 2 weeks you having wine, I got a perfect quality.

Anyway there is a problem to transport juice in bulkhauls you have to keep the temperature between +5 - 10 C or fermentation starts.

Temperature up and downs during transportations is bad for the wine quality, in the worst case you having by arrival vinegar already.

You're taking me back! When I was in jail we used to make pruno jail wine out of apples, oranges or fruit cocktail and keep it hidden in plastic bag in a toilet. Depending on cell checks and yes of course the temperatures you mentioned we would get a very dry Merlot we called "Turdlot". You are gonna love my cheesemaking technique also.

Your technics sounds like big headaches, I guess you has also add a lot of sugar. crazy.gifsick.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

I remember my parents wanting to grow vines and "make their own wine". Northern California microclimate and soil which produces award winning vintages. Chardonnay vines planted.

A four year effort yielding little more than screaming and vinegar.

A good vinegar having also a good value like a Balsamico or so.

I having at home in germay over 20 years old raspberry vinegar in a 2 ltr. glass bottle still on the yeast unfiltered.

I time a friend a friend visited me, he is Chef in his own 1 Star(Guide Michelin) restaurant, I let him taste, he was very surprised and offered me 100 € for this 2ltr, I said no, anyway good and special vinegar having his price.

Americans stop persnicketiness and other Anglos their pernicketiness. GermanViking does not want to grow red wine, nor will he be able to grow red grapes. He wants to grow red grape vines. Understood, cleverlies?

Thanks for your help, but you brought me real in trouble with your word "pernicketiness" I had to use several dictionaries to find the right explanation.

Anyway I would use less polite words, but I save it.

A lot of this old hypocritical old farts like to pick on me, anyway I don't like to blame any nationality, caused ppl like these are everywhere.

They blame only themselves with their stupid comments, caused of the lack of knowledge.

My recommendation, if somebody don't have to post productive comments, then just read or leave this topic. wink.png

• Like 1

I've visited a number of wineries across Thailand, including Chataeu Loei and I never found anything I wanted to drink again. There are a combination of factors but the climate is just too hot for good wine grapes.

I remember pointing out to the Thai girl manning the tasting room at Chataeu Loei that the wine had turned on the red wine being tasted. She didn't do anything about it.

I remember one winery talking about how two crops a year were possible but they decided that they could get better results with one.

I've given up drinking wine in LOS but with the occasional glass of chateau de cardboard. One of few things I really miss about living in Northern California. Another Sangsom/coke please.

Taste is a very individal thing, it's depending extrem on your actually mood.

For example, If you having anger short before wine tasting or any negative prejudgment you will not find any wine really good.

I found out while going for 25 years skiing in Südtirol with friends, we did drinking the simple red wine(Kalterer See) it's a very dry wine every evening we got drunken, but not headaches or hangover, but some water between.

After some years I bought some bottles and brought it home after month in the summertime I opened 1 bottle and it tasted almost like vinegar.

It was still the same wine and I spoke with the friends who bought it also and all confirmed it.

Next year I bought again some bottles, I tried with the same result, I never took this wine home again, but still continued to drink it during my holidays.

@Wikinger

Uhudler from Südburgenland. Known for resistance against all kinds of pest. Wasn't that outlawed some time ago for poisoning consumers with Methanol?

Uhudler is made of red Amerikaner grapes, as you said resistant against any kind of pests, I have them in my garden in germany very sweet, but full of small stones.

Only in Southeast of Austria, on the Italian and Slovenia border they got the rights to produce until 2030.

In the Burgenland and also in some parts of germany(Mosel), they has add Glycol to the wine, not Methanol.

This was mainly made by big winedealers to getting more wine, caused glycol was cheaper and no own taste, anyway some was going in prison a lot had to pay fines.

Result they destroyed the reputation of the whole region, the mostly sober vinemakers was real angry, caused this scandal destroyed the business for all, for years.

PS: Glycol is what you normaly to mix with water and put in your car cooler to avoid that the water freeze. Very healthy sick.gifcrazy.gif

You are quite right. Diethylene glycol played a major role in sweetening wines during the Austrian/German wine scandal of the 80ies. Methanol and lead acetate was used for the same reason before. Here is a nice article about wine fraud in history.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_fraud

Thanks for info on Uhudler.

I will check my price lists for Thai wines. I think, they are in the bracket 500-1200 Baht.

@Wikinger

You are quite right. Diethylene glycol played a major role in sweetening wines during the Austrian/German wine scandal of the 80ies. Methanol and lead acetate was used for the same reason before. Here is a nice article about wine fraud in history.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_fraud

Thanks for info on Uhudler.

I will check my price lists for Thai wines. I think, they are in the bracket 500-1200 Baht.

Would be nice if somebody could provide some actually pricelist of different Thailand yineyards.

Attached a link with all the small towns in Südburgenland, who are still having the allowance for commercial wine production while using these special grapes until 2030.

They fought for their rights against EU to getting this extention.

http://www.uhudlerverein.at/front_content.php?idcat=104

Americans stop persnicketiness and other Anglos their pernicketiness. GermanViking does not want to grow red wine, nor will he be able to grow red grapes. He wants to grow red grape vines. Understood, cleverlies?

Thanks for your help, but you brought me real in trouble with your word "pernicketiness" I had to use several dictionaries to find the right explanation.

A lot of this old hypocritical old farts like to pick on me, anyway I don't like to blame any nationality, caused ppl like these are everywhere.

They blame only themselves with their stupid comments, caused of the lack of knowledge.

My recommendation, if somebody don't have to post productive comments, then just read or leave this topic. wink.png

Haha. I assure you that English speaking barflies have problems, too. Hairsplittingness doesn't sound good either. The German "Spitzfindigkeit" is more to the point.

Haha. I assure you that English speaking barflies have problems, too. Hairsplittingness doesn't sound good either. The German "Spitzfindigkeit" is more to the point.

Spitzfindigkeit is a high german word, we can also use instead Haarspalter(Hairsplitter), Erbsenzähler or Korinthenkacker(very pedantically), we having also words in some dialects like Dippelschisser(in Nordbaden my dialect), Dipfeleschisser (Südbaden), Beckmesser (around Nürnberg), Tüpflischiisser or Püntklischiiser (Switzerland), Holland having also some funny words Muggenzifter (fliescounter) or Mierenneuker ( Antfucker), also Finnland very funny Pilkunnusija (Commafucker). Flueknepper (danish fliesfucker). cheesy.gif

Dippel, Dipfele, Tüpfli or Pünktli means a dot, these kind of ppl searching the needle in the haystack.

• Like 1

My part of Hawaii is the same latitude as Thailand

I'm at 4,000 ft. above the gold coast of Kona.

Grapes are very difficult, needs Sun and cool nights.

I remember a discussion of this last year,on T.V.

Great posts..good luck

Aloha

My part of Hawaii is the same latitude as Thailand

I'm at 4,000 ft. above the gold coast of Kona.

Grapes are very difficult, needs Sun and cool nights.

I remember a discussion of this last year,on T.V.

Great posts..good luck

Aloha

You can not only go after the latitute this is'nt so easy I guess you having typical sea climate missing the cold nights is almost hopeless for good vine, but if you have sun I would have a try with hybrids of vitis riparia and vitis berlandieri, they are both resistant against any vine pests in general very strong the growing in my garden in germany like weed almost no maintanace only every second year a cut, but better every year to getting good and enough grapes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitis_riparia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitis_berlandieri

I think over there is volcano sand this is in general great for a special wine taste, but you have maybe a problem with water the first time to have to irrigate until the vine plants catch the ground water, these vine plants can go with the roots around 25 meter under the surface.

They need only water no fertilizer at all, but don't irrigate to much, caused then they have no reason to going down to the water, to less water in the first years and the plants will be destroyed, you can never bring them real up again, for good results.s

I guess you will getting nice sweet grapes maybe not good enough to produce a good wine, but good enough for a tasty and healthy juice, without any chemicals and you can make very good Liqueur.

After pressing the grapes you can take the rubbish add some water and yeast and after fermentation destill it, the result should be what the Italians calling Grappa we in germany call it Trester.

Back to Thailand where I have already a small piece of Land, but continental climate close to the mountains, but full sun and enough water.

There are day/night temperature differences minimum 10 up to 20 C, but also big temperature differences around the year +5C to +20C during nights and

+20C to + 45C in daytimes and not so high humidity this is what the vine plants like.

Regarding producing an alcoholic drink from apples, I used to do the same in Australia, brewing up 40 litres of apple juice each Autumn. However, we called this APPLE CIDER.

However, can anyone tell me what Thai wines cost? I've never seen them on sale in the larger wine shops here.

There must be some reasoning to justify a 300% price difference between wines sold in Australia, and what we're being charged here.

Don't tell me that's it's to control alcohol consumption, as it's obvious that the "Whisky" they sell here is not imported and had Duty and Tax added.

You made a simple, but big mistake you add sugar this produce headache and is ingeneral unhealthy.

Applewine (Apfelwein(ebbelwoi) is naturally sour and is very healthy, I mix it usually with about 50% or more clear sober water in my glass the best drink, when it is hot weather.

I use it also as Vinegar in all my salads together with olive oil extra vergine.

If your drink every day minium 1/4 ltr. of apple wine you will never getting a thrombosis, caused this make the blood thinner and keep it running.

Keeping this rule a lot off ppl can just throwing their medicines away, about blood sugar, high blood pressure etc. check the links.

99% of the apple wine sold under the name Cider or Cidre is just rubbish, caused they add sugar.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-116454/A-cider-day-keeps-doctor-away-say-scientists.html

I wonder if adding honey as a sweetening agent would improve the sweetness without having a detrimental effect.

My aunt used to make a great Mead wine from the remnants of the honey combs, might make a very pleasant blend.

Mead beer is one of the oldest alcoholic drinks produced.

I wonder if adding honey as a sweetening agent would improve the sweetness without having a detrimental effect.

My aunt used to make a great Mead wine from the remnants of the honey combs, might make a very pleasant blend.

The mistake I made was that adding the sugar caused further fermentation and thus a higher alcohol content. Honey would do the same.

I was pleased to find that at least two eating houses in Chiang Mai have cider on their menu, one English, one Irish.

The mistake I made was that adding the sugar caused further fermentation and thus a higher alcohol content. Honey would do the same.

I was pleased to find that at least two eating houses in Chiang Mai have cider on their menu, one English, one Irish.

I would never add sugar or honey at all, for sure before fermentation this will increase the alcohol %, but any mistakes will this produce a lot of headache.

The old tribes had nothing else as honey to produce their mead beer I would not like to taste it, caused the produced in the same style like same tribes in afrcia and asia still produce their palmwine.

If you ever tasted it, then you will never touch it again.sick.gifcrazy.gifcrying.gif

When is was a youngster 15/16 years was thinking with my friend how to produce alcohol, caused we did'nt had money.

All my friends and was living in houses with garden in the backyards with vegetables, fruit trees and bushes and here we are.

We was asking some elders how to produce wine from fruits we started with the 1. fruit of the year strawberries.

Everybody collected some strawberries in his garden and we started the procedure and waiting after the fermentarion was over to taste it.

I would say today we had a good result, but for us was it to sour simple thing we added sugar after fermentation until it was sweet enough for our taste.

I did drank around 2 ltr. of this $hit, result I was real pissed like hell, vomiting and roaring, stomach upside down. sick.gifcrazy.gifunsure.png

Since this time I never touched fruit wine again and this was almost 50 years ago.