weirdo in phuket airport

RickyJB

Had a strange return to Phuket airport last week after a short trip to Kuala Lumpur, . As myself and my Thai gf came to immigration , we were stopped by the ebola countries check point by a little stumpy man in jacket / immigration worker suit.., after asking my gf if she was Thai, said "you can go" but he stopped me, came so close to me that he was nearly rubbing against me, my first thoughts were "ahh here we go, someone needing money" he asked me.....youre girlfriend??? i said yes, why?? he looked me up and down, paused for a few seconds, before saying....ahh you very handsome man .....whatthef?????? i said whatever and pushed him out of the way... weirdo...no idea why he did that, but felt a bit uncomfortable...

My next problem was almost not getting to stay in the country... I had entered on a 30 day visa, but me and my gf had left after 14 days, 5 days in Malaysia and returned.. They took my gf aside and talked to her for about 5 mins why i cant come into the country, and said i need a visa...They then told me that i can not keep come in every month, i need proper visa, but wouldnt tell me exactly what visa i needed... I showed them my flight ticket back out of the country, my work visa for Angola and that i would only be here for 3 days.. They then asked me where i am from, i said Scotland, then they wanted to talk about Braveheart facepalm.gif They then let me in, but said once again, need visa.... I´ve never had problems before with coming here on vacation and staying here the last 3 years... Im a UK passport holder, but have no other address apart from the apartment i rent in Thailand , so a bit worrying for when i come back after my next rotation is finished , have no idea what visa i should get and how im gonna get one , no thai embassy in angola and my work flies me back and forward to Phuket sad.png

Yes, Phuket seems to be an issue sometimes for rotation workers. Next time enter via Bangkok, no problems there.

You can also check the visa section here on TVF for more info on that.

If possible though, and since you really seem to have Thailand as your primary residence, try to find the time to apply for a non-immigrant visa.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Yes, Phuket seems to be an issue sometimes for rotation workers. Next time enter via Bangkok, no problems there.

You can also check the visa section here on TVF for more info on that.

If possible though, and since you really seem to have Thailand as your primary residence, try to find the time to apply for a non-immigrant visa.

thanks...i´ll take a look, im absolutely clueless when it comes to visas and stuff like that

He told you, you are hansum and you pushed him away?

If it was me I would have thanked him and give him a kiss............rolleyes.gif

Try to be more loose next time........it's not all as bad as you think it is.

If he thinks I am hansum, then there´s definitely something wrong with him tongue.png

• Like 2

I hear from a number of rotation workers that have been told they won't be allowed back after the 4th visa exempt back-to-back stamps. No easy solution for many of them.

It seems flying into Bangkok is the easiest solution (or getting a non-resident visa).

"but he stopped me, came so close to me that he was nearly rubbing against me," - a word of advice, don't allow anyone to get so close to you at the airport, especially before passing customs, and particularly if they are officials, or you are already suspicious of them, like this weirdo.

Remember, it's not what he could have taken from you (pick-pocket) but what he could have given you, without your knowledge, that could make a BIG problem from you.

Would you really feel it if a 1 gram resealable plastic bag, containing a white powder, was slipped into your pocket, or into an open zip of a daypack etc? You are looking at a big extortion, or a long gaol sentence.

Your visa situation would then become the least of your worries.

Edited by NamKangMan

Oh dear. Here come the conspiracy what if theories.

The dude wanted man on man action and it's normal that Thai men are open to hit on you. They aren't shy.

Had a man in the toilets of JungCeylon toilets come and say the same thing whilst trying to have a look at my slug at the urinal.

Just smile and be on your way. You should be flattered that you're at least attractive to someone.

Just a bit of safety and security for a traveler, and others who care to read this forum, Hans. No conspiracy theory involved.

Remember the Suvarnabhumi Airport shoplifting scam?

Remember Immigration Oficers at Phuket Airport charging Chinese tourists a visa fee?

Remember, the Immigration "express lane" fee?

Remember the "ebola lane" fee?

Airports in Thailand have their share of Thai Officials trying to turn a corrupt baht as well.

Jungceylon toilets are a little different to an international airport customs search. :)

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

The dude wanted man on man action and it's normal that Thai men are open to hit on you. They aren't shy.

Had a man in the toilets of JungCeylon toilets come and say the same thing whilst trying to have a look at my slug at the urinal.

Just smile and be on your way. You should be flattered that you're at least attractive to someone.

Just a bit of safety and security for a traveler, and others who care to read this forum, Hans. No conspiracy theory involved.

Remember Immigration Oficers at Phuket Airport charging Chinese tourists a visa fee?

Airports in Thailand have their share of Thai Officials trying to turn a corrupt baht as well.

Jungceylon toilets are a little different to an international airport customs search. :)

Come on. Nothing sinister about a weird looking gay guy saying he is handsome and you turn it into a drug set up for extortion or prison.

You have a wild imagination or too much time on your hands, maybe both.

• Like 1

I am not surprised. Thais generally start to act weird when they have to interact with foreigners. They don't know how to act and often have very wide of the mark expectations. Not knowing what to do or say next, "You hansum man," seems to come out of their mouths. I have lost count of the times gay Thai men have propositioned me even though I am not gay which is another unrequired weird behaviour in my book.

Nothing about this post surprises me at all.

Jungceylon toilets are a little different to an international airport customs search. smile.png

Come on. Nothing sinister about a weird looking gay guy saying he is handsome and you turn it into a drug set up for extortion or prison.

I suppose many tourists thought there was "nothing sinister" about checking out some prices in a duty free shop in the airport in Bangkok, either, until they were arrested for shop lifting and money demanded from them. cheesy.gif

It's suspicious behaviour, from a guy who sees thousands of tourists everyday, and I question his motives.

It is you who has jumped to the conclusion that his motive was sexual, and harmless, which I admit, is a possibility, but given what's a stake, it can't hurt to consider other motives, and keep the guy away from you.

Edited by NamKangMan

Jungceylon toilets are a little different to an international airport customs search. smile.png

I suppose many tourists thought there was "nothing sinister" about checking out some prices in a duty free shop in the airport in Bangkok, either, until they were arrested for shop lifting and money demanded from them. cheesy.gif

It's suspicious behaviour, from a guy who sees thousands of tourists everyday, and I question his motives.

It is you who has jumped to the conclusion that his motive was sexual, and harmless, which I admit, is a possibility, but given what's a stake, it can't hurt to consider other motives, and keep the guy away from you.

coffee1.gif