Problems with Sons British passport

I applied for my sons British passport and have had an Email back asking for more documents

He was born before I was married to his Mother but got married to her 4 months later , this legitimates him as British by descent. After a year the missus decided she liked gambling more than me and the kids and I have not seen her for 10 years. As i was working away I dragged my feet with legal Divorce and child custody and eventually got it 3 years ago. Now because of these circumstances , I do not have my wife's Birth cert or a Marriage Cert but I do have my Sons Certificate a Custody and divorce order with her name as the mother. I knew I was going to have trouble and paid for a consultation with a British immigration solicitors , they were quite clear that the Divorce and Child custody order were enough to legitimate my son as British by descent and so eligible for a British passport.

After a couple of visits to HMPO they accepted my application . In the further information section I explained my situation with My wifes Birth and Marriage cert , they told me to write a letter explaining it and I did so

Last week I got an Email from Liverpool saying they Required , Marriage Cert , wife's birth cert, All of my and my sons passports (HMPO Bangkok said scanned copies) Proof of my address (I have loads of proof of address for my son) But when applying for a kids passport I don't recall my address details being requested, certainly not by HMPO ). I also told them I cannot get the certificate's in the letter and Further information section , so they obviously have not read it

Anyway I responded a week ago and attached the Statement from the Immigration solicitors. A week later nothing , so I'm wondering if they might not respond via Email , so I'm going to give them a call and see where I stand, If I appeal its going to cost me . I'm more pissed off that HMPO told me one thing and allowed me to submit and now Liverpool won't accept it

Edited by ExPratt

"they were quite clear that the Divorce and Child custody order were enough to legitimate my son as British by descent and so eligible for a British passport"

Sorry, i don't understand how a divorce and child custody can make your son British by descent.

If your EX-wife is British, surely her birth certificate would be needed. That normally is what's needed to make a passport for a child (by descent) as well as the child's birth certificate with mother's name on it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"they were quite clear that the Divorce and Child custody order were enough to legitimate my son as British by descent and so eligible for a British passport"

Sorry, i don't understand how a divorce and child custody can make your son British by descent.

If your EX-wife is British, surely her birth certificate would be needed. That normally is what's needed to make a passport for a child (by descent) as well as the child's birth certificate with mother's name on it.

My ex wife is Thai. He was born before I married her and only became eligible for a passport when I married her. If I had remained un-married he would not be classed as British by descent and could not apply for passport. The divorce and child custody papers prove I was married to his mother and therefore he is entitled to a passport , going by the home office rules

I think it is a case of messing you around and hoping you give up. all I can say is keep going. you could go to the place you were married and get a copy of the marriage certificate. if you know where your ex-wife was born go get a birth certificate. not sure if you can do that in Thailand but you can in the UK.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think it is a case of messing you around and hoping you give up. all I can say is keep going. you could go to the place you were married and get a copy of the marriage certificate. if you know where your ex-wife was born go get a birth certificate. not sure if you can do that in Thailand but you can in the UK.

Had a few developments this afternoon. Apparently we submitted a signed Document by the Ayutthaya Amphur confirming my wife's date of Birth and our Marriage and registration. My missus (New one) cousin works in the amphur office , so that's where that came from

I called Liverpool this afternoon and spoke to a very helpful lady. She said the application manager will call me in the next 3 days and the documents they asked for may not necessarily be required documents they have asked for may be. Think they are trying to be helpful as they got caned last year when they changed to Home office.

Also if I am divorced they will not give me a copy of the old Marriage Document or the Birth cert of wife

• Like 1

Sorry, i can't help you any further. I am no expert on this. It sounds like an unusual case.

So, let me get this straight. You're post so far hasn't been clear (it may help for others who can help you if they know these details). You are British. You're son isn't your biological son, but through marriage. Hence why you need the marriage papers etc etc.

Is that right? Just a guess, cos i can't tell for sure from what you have said.

Sorry, i can't help you any further. I am no expert on this. It sounds like an unusual case.

So, let me get this straight. You're post so far hasn't been clear (it may help for others who can help you if they know these details). You are British. You're son isn't your biological son, but through marriage. Hence why you need the marriage papers etc etc.

Thanks , yes it is very confusing Story.

He was born March 2001 . I am the father I married his Mother (Thai) in June 2001. Had I have not married her he would not be eligible for Brit Passport. So he was in all intents and purposes not born British at birth but Became British when I married his mother *Entitled as being British by descent)

She left , me our Son and our Daughter( born UK 2002)in 2004 and I have not seen or heard of her since.

I got divorced in 2011 and the court also handed me legal full custody of the Children

The problem I have is I do not have her birth cert or Marriage cert , But I do have divorce cert and custody ruling with her name and birthday on it.. I also have my sons Thai Birth cert signed by me

.So if I'm divorced now I must have been married before right ?. The Legal rep from UK immigration lawyers , told me it was good enough as it proved I married the mother and so he is entitled to British passport

They are also telling me they want a plethora of evidence of where I live , I don't think I have to prove where I live for my sons passport I have to prove I'm his Father and I have not read that in "Document requirements" for applying for a child's passport. To be fair that is the last of my worries

What I wonder is what were HMPO in Bangkok doing , I went their twice

They are having a lot of problems at Liverpool passport office so hopefully this is part of their balls up.

They are supposed to call me tonight or Tomorrow

Edited by ExPratt

You case is almost identical to another that was discussed at length here time ago, or it is actually the very same? I think it can be found with some search. In short, there is no issue for your son to obtain UK documents once given the due diligence.

Not sure how someone could not understand it, it's actually very simple.

Edited by paz

Thanks , yes it is very confusing Story.

He was born March 2001 . I am the father I married his Mother (Thai) in June 2001. Had I have not married her he would not be eligible for Brit Passport. So he was in all intents and purposes not born British at birth but Became British when I married his mother *Entitled as being British by descent)

She left , me our Son and our Daughter( born UK 2002)in 2004 and I have not seen or heard of her since.

I got divorced in 2011 and the court also handed me legal full custody of the Children

The problem I have is I do not have her birth cert or Marriage cert , But I do have divorce cert and custody ruling with her name and birthday on it.. I also have my sons Thai Birth cert signed by me

.So if I'm divorced now I must have been married before right ?. The Legal rep from UK immigration lawyers , told me it was good enough as it proved I married the mother and so he is entitled to British passport

They are also telling me they want a plethora of evidence of where I live , I don't think I have to prove where I live for my sons passport I have to prove I'm his Father and I have not read that in "Document requirements" for applying for a child's passport. To be fair that is the last of my worries

What I wonder is what were HMPO in Bangkok doing , I went their twice

They are having a lot of problems at Liverpool passport office so hopefully this is part of their balls up.

They are supposed to call me tonight or Tomorrow

The people in Bangkok (VFS trendy) are basically just a contacted processing facility who check your application papers.

I know they have a sign on the wall now saying HMPO Bangkok, but they are just agents and all the important decisions are made directly by HMPO in Liverpool, they are the ones you must satisfy.

You are quite correct in stating that you cannot now obtain copy of the Thai marriage certificate/your wife's birth certificate as you are divorced; however the divorce certificate, along with your son's birth certificate and court legalisations papers (all translated) should be more than satisfactory to prove your son's eligibility.

OP, this thread may have some similarity to your issues, but without the subsequent divorce complication:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/702234-born-before-july-2006-apply-for-british-citizenship/?p=7417682&hl=2006

I gave a response by PM to the OP of this earlier thread as I also had similar but not identical issues to his situation.

Let me know if you think it may be useful in your case and I will look out the PM I sent to him and forward it to you.

If you're named on the Thai birth certificate as the father, I didn't it was necessary to be married in order for your son to get a British passport.

If they were born before 2006 (Have to check that date) out of wedlock they are not entitled to a British passport unless you marry the Mother after they are born, Theres an amendment to the immigration act , should be going through this year that will change that

• Like 1

OP, this thread may have some similarity to your issues, but without the subsequent divorce complication:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/702234-born-before-july-2006-apply-for-british-citizenship/?p=7417682&hl=2006

I gave a response by PM to the OP of this earlier thread as I also had similar but not identical issues to his situation.

Let me know if you think it may be useful in your case and I will look out the PM I sent to him and forward it to you.

Thanks mate , it all helps

Thanks , No you cannot get the Marriage cert once you are divorced or Birth cert, My 2nd wifes cousin works as a kind of Amphurs assistant in Ayutthaya , they got me a summary of My wifes birthday and marriage cert with dates and signed by the Amphur.

The funny thing is when I got my kids Thai passports because I had full custody they didnt ask me for anything from my wife and it was further complicated by my Daughter being born in the UK. I had to go back a second time for my daughter but nothing like the hassle I'm getting from Liverpool office

Edited by ExPratt

Thanks mate , it all helps

OP, PM sent.

Have been attempting to deal with Liverpool ,

Jan Monday 19 - Told I would be contacted within 3 days

Jan Thur 22- Told i would be contacted within 3 days

Jan Tue 27 Told I will be contacted within 3 days

As you may understand I was a tad peeved with this and went on HMPO Liverpool site and wrote them a message containing a scathing attack about their incompetent and shoddy conduct, I thought I was ranting into thin air as usually the "Contact us" option don't respond. But this morning they have sent me a most apologetic message and asked me if I wish to officially complain. I think I will and add into it the HMPO BKK allowing my application to go forward including a letter explaining my predicament with some documents and then Liverpool requesting documents of which I have already informed them I cannot get..

Looks to me like they are in complete disarray .

As you may understand I was a tad peeved with this and went on HMPO Liverpool site and wrote them a message containing a scathing attack about their incompetent and shoddy conduct, I thought I was ranting into thin air as usually the "Contact us" option don't respond. But this morning they have sent me a most apologetic message and asked me if I wish to officially complain. I think I will and add into it the HMPO BKK allowing my application to go forward including a letter explaining my predicament with some documents and then Liverpool requesting documents of which I have already informed them I cannot get..

You are dealing with three completely separate agencies, hence your perception of disarray.

'HMPO Bangkok' = VFS Trendy - an Indian/Swiss owned private contractor (they have their moments)

'HMPO UK Help Line' = Teleperformance Ltd a British subcontractor (normally totally useless).

'HMPO Liverpool' = British Passport Office run by the UK Home Office (competent but proven to get severely snowed under when the workload rises due to in sufficient staff).

Definitely complain, but do appreciate that this mess is primarily caused by the British Government effectively hanging out overseas ex pats like us to dry in order to:

1) Save money.

2) Protect us by 'fighting' ID theft.

• Like 2

You are dealing with three completely separate agencies, hence your perception of disarray.

'HMPO Bangkok' = VFS Trendy - an Indian/Swiss owned private contractor (they have their moments)

'HMPO UK Help Line' = Teleperformance Ltd a British subcontractor (normally totally useless).

'HMPO Liverpool' = British Passport Office run by the UK Home Office (competent but proven to get severely snowed under when the workload rises due to in sufficient staff).

Definitely complain, but do appreciate that this mess is primarily caused by the British Government effectively hanging out overseas ex pats like us to dry in order to:

1) Save money.

Cheers , its a pain . I think the phone people are based in Ireland , all 3 operators I have spoken with were Irish, ok so it could be Kilburn

Ive sent my complaint starting with HMPO BKK and then moving on to Liverpool

1) Save money.

Cheers , its a pain . I think the phone people are based in Ireland , all 3 operators I have spoken with were Irish, ok so it could be Kilburn

From the accents I have always assumed that HMPO UK Helpline was based in Northern Ireland.

Here is a link to the formal HMPO complaints procedure:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-passport-office/about/complaints-procedure

Wouldn't bother complaining to the HMPO UK Helpline number 0300 222 0000 any more as you have already done so and received 0% satisfaction to date.

I also think that any complaint to VFS/trendy is also a waste of time, if they bother to reply, then they used to normally just refer you to the Newport email enquiry address: [email protected] <[email protected]>

Good Luck.

1) Save money.

From the accents I have always assumed that HMPO UK Helpline was based in Northern Ireland.

Here is a link to the formal HMPO complaints procedure:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-passport-office/about/complaints-procedure

Wouldn't bother complaining to the HMPO UK Helpline number 0300 222 0000 any more as you have already done so and received 0% satisfaction to date.

I also think that any complaint to VFS/trendy is also a waste of time, if they bother to reply, then they used to normally just refer you to the Newport email enquiry address: [email protected] <[email protected]>

Good Luck.

Thanks. They called me on Friday but again it was someone who was not familiar with the case , so I went through the story for a 700th time. Then he said if I wasn't married when my son was born he probably couldn't get a British passport. I know for an absolute fact that is wrong as long as you marry the Mother any time after the birth. Everything I told him I have in put in the application "Further information" section.As you say pointless dealing with the Mongs in Bangkok

What I am going to send them is His original Thai Birth cert , They have a verified copy and translation anyway. My Sons Thai Passport. They want my British passport but they are not getting it as i have to work in and out the country, They also wanted proof of my address, that is not requested on the documents needed for a child application , they have my sons proof of address why are they asking for mine ? Also I have bugger all in my name in Thailand.

Thanks. They called me on Friday but again it was someone who was not familiar with the case , so I went through the story for a 700th time. Then he said if I wasn't married when my son was born he probably couldn't get a British passport. I know for an absolute fact that is wrong as long as you marry the Mother any time after the birth. Everything I told him I have in put in the application "Further information" section.As you say pointless dealing with the Mongs in Bangkok

What I am going to send them is His original Thai Birth cert , They have a verified copy and translation anyway. My Sons Thai Passport. They want my British passport but they are not getting it as i have to work in and out the country, They also wanted proof of my address, that is not requested on the documents needed for a child application , they have my sons proof of address why are they asking for mine ? Also I have bugger all in my name in Thailand.

I would be very surprised if it was Bangkok that contacted you, more likely it was someone from the HMPO 'UK Helpline' - as I have already posted these helpline guys are not HMPO Civil Servants but work for a non government company called Teleperformance (on further research, it turns out they are a French Company with call centres in quite a few countries).

Stick to emailing Newport/Liverpool, don't waste time with the 'UK HMPO helpline' - they are not passport officials and don't know what anything beyond what is on their call scripts and limited computer databases.

IMHO - Send the original of your Son's Birth Certificate and you seriously risk losing it, the copy and certified translation you have already supplied should be fine.

The major reason we go through this stupid process of dealing with a Thai based intermediary for UK passport applications is because HMPO believe that one must hold one's passport at 'all times' when in Thailand; now if the idiots are asking you to send your passport to the UK - no way do that.

Personally I wouldn't even post my passport original to VFS trendy either.

You are the applicant for your son's passport and as such they may well require evidence of your address as well as his, there is no way of getting round this particular obstacle without supplying said information.

Evidence of address is a keystone of HMPO's new policy to prevent 'identity theft' and must be supplied.

Here is a more flexible list of possible options for address I got from HMPO than is published in the guidance notes.

We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

• Like 1

Thanks.The fella I spoke too didn't realise I was divorced and had custody , he though I just couldn't be arsed to get a Marriage cert.

The only document I can get with my address on it is a Bank Statement. We've been in this place for years , but I have always worked elsewhere in Asia so everything in in my partners name

They are really getting confused, They are asking for my sons Thai Birth cert that I signed ? As far as I recall and the certs I have.Have my name and Mothers name and the Amphurs signature.

I'll send them some stuff this week and a the same letter I sent them the first time, hopefully they will read it this time

Anyone got a link phone number for VFS Passport office , I can only get their UK Visa site not passport. I have to submit the documents through them , but I'm buggered if I can find a link and book an appointment

Trendy don't have any published phone numbers and don't generally answer the phones they use to call out.

Also, trendy don't have a UK Passport application web page, the only information published is on the HMPO website.

The only way to get an appointment at trendy is to email their appointments email address and suggest three times and dates:

[email protected]

Trendy normally don't take the original documents nowadays, if you have already supplied copies/translations of your son's birth certificates, then why do you have to take them in again?

Anyone got a link phone number for VFS Passport office , I can only get their UK Visa site not passport. I have to submit the documents through them , but I'm buggered if I can find a link and book an appointment

Trendy don't have any published phone numbers and don't generally answer the phones they use to call out.

Also, trendy don't have a UK Passport application web page, the only information published is on the HMPO website.

The only way to get an appointment at trendy is to email their appointments email address and suggest three times and dates:

[email protected]

Trendy normally don't take the original documents nowadays, if you have already supplied copies/translations of your son's birth certificates, then why do you have to take them in again?

Thanks again , I booked it as a new application 18//2 , which Ive been told by them is ok. The only Phone Number trendy give is the Liverpool HMPO. I also have to fill in a "Domicile questionnaire" with all kinds of weird and wonderful questions "Where do I want to be buried " being one

I have no idea why they want the original documents , His Thai Passport , My Passport(s), Birth Cert , They seem to totally ignored the divorce and custody papers. It was actually easier getting my kids Thai passport with no information of marriage and wife because they understood the full custody order. I think it must be the home office fumbling about with Border security. If they insist on Wife's birth cert and Wedding cert then I'll go through a UK immigration lawyer that I had a consultation with last year, they told me I should have no problem with the documents I have

[email protected]

Thanks again , I booked it as a new application 18//2 , which Ive been told by them is ok. The only Phone Number trendy give is the Liverpool HMPO. I also have to fill in a "Domicile questionnaire" with all kinds of weird and wonderful questions "Where do I want to be buried " being one

I have no idea why they want the original documents , His Thai Passport , My Passport(s), Birth Cert , They seem to totally ignored the divorce and custody papers. It was actually easier getting my kids Thai passport with no information of marriage and wife because they understood the full custody order. I think it must be the home office fumbling about with Border security. If they insist on Wife's birth cert and Wedding cert then I'll go through a UK immigration lawyer that I had a consultation with last year, they told me I should have no problem with the documents I have

Most unusual.

I would take colour copies (scan/print your self for this) of all required documents and try really hard not to give them the originals.

When you say they only publish the Liverpool HMPO number, do you mean +44 (0) 300 222 0000? - this is actually the HMPO UK Helpline which is a (pretty useless) agency, not HMPO Liverpool themselves.

Who is asking for this information/extra papers, do you have an email from HMPO Liverpool, or did they phone you directly?

If you have an actual Liverpool phone number/email I would phone/email that person again and clarify what you actually need to take with you/send.

Edited by digitalchromakey

They have scan copies of everything full scan copies of both our passports,and birth certs

Yes it was the helpline number , agree , useless. When I got the call from HMPO LIverpool last week it was not the person who is dealing with my sons application and I had to go through the whole story again , which is getting tedious to say the least.

Ive got 2 weeks before appointment with HMPO, so I will call and find out why I'm getting such special treatment

They have scan copies of everything full scan copies of both our passports,and birth certs

Yes it was the helpline number , agree , useless. When I got the call from HMPO LIverpool last week it was not the person who is dealing with my sons application and I had to go through the whole story again , which is getting tedious to say the least.

Ive got 2 weeks before appointment with HMPO, so I will call and find out why I'm getting such special treatment

To answer you question they sent me a letter in attachment to Email. I have responded to it twice via the same Email with no response. It is together with the Domicile questionaire