thailand education visa from old passport to new

Many years ago when I lived here on tourist visas renewed my British passport I took both the old and the new to the immigration in Bangkok and the duty officer told me they don't do it there. He said next time you exit the country they will do it at the immigration at the border or airport. IN my case I went overland to Vientiane and at sure enough at the Nong Khai border immigration they took care of it in about 20 minutes. I just renewed my passport again and am wondering if the same rules apply to an education visa. Any confirmation on this from anyone would be much appreciated as it would save me the bother of a taxi all the way to Chang Wattana. Cheers in advance and hope 2015 is being kind to all so far!!

Immigrations never transfer visas, only extension of stay.

It depends on what you have, visa from a consulate abroad or extension of stay from immigrations in Thailand.

Hi, and thanks for your response. Appreciated! I guess I have an extension of stay technically because I got my edu visa from Laos 4 months ago and then 1 month ago I had to go to the immigration office to extend it for another 3 months. I don't know if that counts as an official 'extension', like with a tourist visa or if it was just a check to make sure I'm attending classes and then they approved me to continue for another 3 months. Forgive my ignorance in advance! And cheers again by the way

You have an extension of stay. You will need to go to Chaeng Wattana to have the stamps transferred.

You will need a letter from the embassy stating you got a new passport.

You can save Taxi fare going to CW by taking the BTS or MRT to Mochit and taking a taxi from there.

Thanks mate

You have an extension of stay. You will need to go to Chaeng Wattana to have the stamps transferred.

You will need a letter from the embassy stating you got a new passport.

You can save Taxi fare going to CW by taking the BTS or MRT to Mochit and taking a taxi from there.