Former Korean Air exec pleads not guilty in nut rage case

webfact

Former Korean Air exec pleads not guilty in nut rage case

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — The former Korean Air executive famous for an inflight tantrum over macadamia nuts pleaded not guilty to violating aviation safety law and other charges.

Lawyers for Cho Hyun-ah did not dispute the major elements of the prosecutor's account of events Dec. 5 when Cho's behavior resulted in a Korean Air jet returning to the gate. Instead they are focusing on a technical rebuttal of the aviation law charge.

Cho spend most of the first day of her trial Monday with her head lowered and hair covering her face. She declined to make any comments when invited to by the judge.

Cho achieved worldwide notoriety by kicking a crew member off the Dec. 5 flight after being offered macadamia nuts in a bag, instead of on a dish.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-01-19

Well I guess we'll see how clean cut the justice system in S Korea is then. It certainly would be impressive if she actually got shipped off to jail, because she certainly deserves all the bad happenings that have befallen her of late.

• Like 1

10 years on the table. I wish Thailand would take note and allow its hi-sos to be put through it. Anyone remember that a-hole airport security dude slapping the young security guy when he wanted to wave him with the magnetic wand? He thought he was above the rules as he was his boss, etc etc. Just sick. Though we all know Thailand is light years behind SK, so it is likely this will continue along with brats in Ferraris (or anyone that knows someone) getting away with murder. bah.gif

• Like 1

Most people I know who have had dealings with Koreans regard them as one of the weirdest peoples on the planet -- far odder than the Swiss or those wily Canadians.

They are still regarded with horror by the Vietnamese after their sustained soulless brutality during the 1960s and 1970s war -- the number of unarmed villagers they executed approached 10,000, in a series of well-remembered massacres. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_South_Korea_during_the_Vietnam_War

Some expats I know who worked there said that Korean xenophobia makes Thailand's dislike of foreigners look like a warm embrace by comparison.

The extraordinary initial action in this case and the extreme reaction that has followed seem all of a piece with their, er, unique ideas about how society should operate.

What odds this woman will hang herself out of shame once the case is settled?

• Like 1

Most people I know who have had dealings with Koreans regard them as one of the weirdest peoples on the planet -- far odder than the Swiss or those wily Canadians.

They are still regarded with horror by the Vietnamese after their sustained soulless brutality during the 1960s and 1970s war -- the number of unarmed villagers they executed approached 10,000, in a series of well-remembered massacres. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_South_Korea_during_the_Vietnam_War

Some expats I know who worked there said that Korean xenophobia makes Thailand's dislike of foreigners look like a warm embrace by comparison.

The extraordinary initial action in this case and the extreme reaction that has followed seem all of a piece with their, er, unique ideas about how society should operate.

Let's hope she doesn't do it while on holiday in Koh Tao.

This is what happens when a rich dad or mom spoils their sibling. Then they think they are entitled to berate and be nasty to other people .

They are not only "not entitled" but must be a better example to the public. Not like this piece of human garbage.

Big deal they did not serve nuts on a plate. I do not think there is anyone (except her) that will care about this. Get over it WOMAN

She truly deserves the full force of the law. Maybe she will learn some humility from this.

She's a nut herself not worthy of any corporate position.

Nepotism, often produces these cases.

Yes, but most nepotism doesn't have the possibility of bringing down a jet liner, her crap can. No spoiled daughter should be in a position with that much power. She'll get people killed one of these days. Those pilots and their culture have already caused enough dead bodies to fall from the skies, see that she never has anything to do with aviation the rest of her life.

• Like 1

She's a nut herself not worthy of any corporate position.

Nepotism, often produces these cases.

Yes, but most nepotism doesn't have the possibility of bringing down a jet liner, her crap can. No spoiled daughter should be in a position with that much power. She'll get people killed one of these days. Those pilots and their culture have already caused enough dead bodies to fall from the skies, see that she never has anything to do with aviation the rest of her life.

"bringing down a jet liner" ? Bit hysterical, or do You know something that I've missed?

Well I guess we'll see how clean cut the justice system in S Korea is then. It certainly would be impressive if she actually got shipped off to jail, because she certainly deserves all the bad happenings that have befallen her of late.

This story has received international coverage because of its silliness. It could have been gone by now, but Korea went and pressed criminal charges against her, so I think they are going to take this all the way and princess will get some kind of sentence, maybe just probabtion.

Both Korea and Japan have this vanity to show the rest of the world they are not one of those petty, corrupt Asian countries (ahem!).

Maybe something ridiculous will come up at the trial, along the lines "I couldn't help it because (insert ridiculous excuse here)"

Or my favorite: I had no choice.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1

This is what happens when a rich dad or mom spoils their sibling. Then they think they are entitled to berate and be nasty to other people .

They are not only "not entitled" but must be a better example to the public. Not like this piece of human garbage.

Big deal they did not serve nuts on a plate. I do not think there is anyone (except her) that will care about this. Get over it WOMAN

She truly deserves the full force of the law. Maybe she will learn some humility from this.

Yes, agree with you. Just one small point. Moms & dads don't spoil their siblings. They spoil their kids.

Just saying..... Cheers..... Mal.