Japanese man shaming Suvarnabhumi in Thai goes viral

webfact

Absolutely right: many things can be improved at Suvarnabhumi.

But there are many more airports where you are treated like cattle by impolite persons. The bigger the airport, the more impersonal it gets.

Ever been at Immigration at Dulles Washington? very long queues and as soon as an Immigration officer weears a uniform he thinks he can behave like a rude cave man. And not forget the "service" at one of the London airports: despite my request, no basket to put my valuables and clothes in; instead just throw everything on the dirty belt for security check.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Airports are literally the port to a country, so if you are the host, then make it a friendly experience and pamper people, who spend money (tourist or business)..

My job takes me all around the world so I have spent a lot of times in immigration queues.

At Brisbane and Melbourne airports I have witnessed 20 to 30 minute queue times while I have witnessed queue times of 1 hour and over at Charles De Gaulle and Joberg. I was in Bali 2 months ago and regrettably didn't use the express service people were offering when I entered the large immigration hall. Suffice to say I waited over 2 hours to get through. Don't even ask about Central and West Africa!

As for Suvarnabhumi airport it is no different from a lot of airports. I have heard people grumbling in lines all over the world while waiting with their passport in one hand and a bag in the other. These people had no choice, but to wait. No express services were offered. In Bangkok this option is offered and in fact I use it costing me 850 baht. 850 baht! The price of a meal. The price of a nice glass of Merlot. A small price to pay to see my kids 1 hour earlier than I normally would. I don't get that choice in most airports. At Suvarnabhumi I do.

Standing in the line won't speed up the waiting time. Complaining about it won't speed up the waiting time. You know what will speed up the waiting time? Paying 850 baht.

If you don't like it pay the money to bypass it.

It shouldn't be necessary to have to pay extra - and such a large amount at that (the price of four nice meals for me, or 850 liters of drinking water from the water machine in my apartment building) - just for reasonably prompt immigration service at an airport. In fact, having the option to pay extra for express service gives immigration officers the perverse incentive to serve people as slowly as possible - in order to entice as many people as possible to pay extra for the express service. No way would I reward them for that scam.

A large amount of money? 850 baht! I suppose it is relative and you may well be retired. I am not. I work for a living and can afford to pay it.

If you cannot afford to pay the 850 baht then be prepared to wait. I can pay it and I will be in the arms of my wife and kids one hour earlier than if I didn't pay it.

It aint a scam. Bangkok immigration waiting times are no different than a lot around the world. Except they offer an express service. A lot of airports don't and I have no choice but to wait. At Bangkok I have a choice. So thanks to Suvarnabhumi for offering me this choice. I am very grateful for it.

​If you cannot afford it then don't complain because others can. Complaining won't speed the queue up. Paying 850 baht will.

Obviously I will not be seeing you next Friday night at L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon in Bangkok if you consider 850 baht a lot of money!

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

Just another example of how the staff at that airport (and I am finding more and more these days everyone else in this country) think that somehow they are better than anyone else and so do not have to have the capability to do what is right, listen, or even give a dam... unless you have brought food! Then again, as an American, I have to say the same thing about the border officers and other staffers at LAX in California. There, they even show their disdain for passengers of all countries (the US included) right in front of signs saying welcome and expounding on how the officers are "polite".

Ahhh... Welcome to wherever. From a plane that is a cattle car to slaughter house of uncaring officials. Wonder if Mars will be any better? LOL!

My last and only experience was "ok". Immigration wasnt bad for me but while I was there the line filled up and got 4 times longer, the people behind me had a long wait.

The taxi was a different story. Typical Taxi mafia crap, when I insisted the guy use his meter he actually pulled over on the side of the freeway and wouldnt go. I told him turn on the meter or take me back to the airport and I'll get a different taxi. We sat there for a good 5 minutes before I took out my phone and told him I was calling the police. He then finally turned the meter and drove me to my hotel, he was trying to charge me 700, The total ended up being about 350...

The attitude of . This is our country we don't need you to foreigner , has really got to change. I am looking forward to the rise of Burma. As soon as it is on its feet a bit, I have plan to spend my days there. I am sure the foreigners are welcomed with open arms. The same as thai are welcomed and well cared for in my country

My job takes me all around the world so I have spent a lot of times in immigration queues.

At Brisbane and Melbourne airports I have witnessed 20 to 30 minute queue times while I have witnessed queue times of 1 hour and over at Charles De Gaulle and Joberg. I was in Bali 2 months ago and regrettably didn't use the express service people were offering when I entered the large immigration hall. Suffice to say I waited over 2 hours to get through. Don't even ask about Central and West Africa!

As for Suvarnabhumi airport it is no different from a lot of airports. I have heard people grumbling in lines all over the world while waiting with their passport in one hand and a bag in the other. These people had no choice, but to wait. No express services were offered. In Bangkok this option is offered and in fact I use it costing me 850 baht. 850 baht! The price of a meal. The price of a nice glass of Merlot. A small price to pay to see my kids 1 hour earlier than I normally would. I don't get that choice in most airports. At Suvarnabhumi I do.

Standing in the line won't speed up the waiting time. Complaining about it won't speed up the waiting time. You know what will speed up the waiting time? Paying 850 baht.

If you don't like it pay the money to bypass it.

It shouldn't be necessary to have to pay extra - and such a large amount at that (the price of four nice meals for me, or 850 liters of drinking water from the water machine in my apartment building) - just for reasonably prompt immigration service at an airport. In fact, having the option to pay extra for express service gives immigration officers the perverse incentive to serve people as slowly as possible - in order to entice as many people as possible to pay extra for the express service. No way would I reward them for that scam.

A large amount of money? 850 baht! I suppose it is relative and you may well be retired. I am not. I work for a living and can afford to pay it.

If you cannot afford to pay the 850 baht then be prepared to wait. I can pay it and I will be in the arms of my wife and kids one hour earlier than if I didn't pay it.

It aint a scam. Bangkok immigration waiting times are no different than a lot around the world. Except they offer an express service. A lot of airports don't and I have no choice but to wait. At Bangkok I have a choice. So thanks to Suvarnabhumi for offering me this choice. I am very grateful for it.

​If you cannot afford it then don't complain because others can. Complaining won't speed the queue up. Paying 850 baht will.

Obviously I will not be seeing you next Friday night at L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon in Bangkok if you consider 850 baht a lot of money!

How do you the "express" service. I dont recall seeing that at the airport.

The Thai Tourist Department is working on a new program that will benefit both the tourists and the citizens and result in everybody being happy. In a nutshell,

a bank account has been established at all of the major banks here in Thailand. All tourists need to do is send money to the accounts and stay in their home

country. This results in tourists not getting upset for all of the really good reasons. And Thais not having to deal with tourists that for some really stupid reason

think that they should be getting good service for their tourist dollar. It is described as a WIN-WIN solution, and should be implemented shortly.

I've ben coming to Thailand for a few years now. Probably been here over a dozen times. Sometimes the wait at immigration has been 10 minutes, sometimes an hour. I've experienced the same at London Heathrow. It all depended on whether another flight or 2 had arrived at the same time. I've found Dubai to be pretty much the same whith the queues depending on how many flights have just arrived. The worst queueing I've experience was in Addis Abbaba and I actualy queued for longer to leave the country than to enter it.

I've had a mixture of friendly and miserable immigration officers at Swampy. I've had very few if any smiles or warm welcomes in Dubai or Heathrow.

Never had a problem with the facilities at Swampy. Toilets have been fine. Not too impressed with the duty free. As a smoker I am happy that there are smoking rooms. There are none in Heathrow so I don't go through security to the last possible minute which means I am not spending money in the airport. In Swampy and Dubai I go in and I go to bars and restaurants and duty free and can spend money and relax and enjoy the airport beacause they have smoking rooms.

I've never had a bad taxi ride from Swampy into BKK. Never been overcharged and never had the driver try to charge me a fixed price and not use the meter. I've never had to ask them to use the meter. The majority of taxi drivers have been friendly and tried to talk to me in the little english they knew. Maybe I've just been lucky. I always greet them with a sawasdee khrup, sabaidee mai? so they know it's not my first time here. Maybe that helps. A friend's Thai wife knows a taxi driver who works in BKK and he told us that if you speak a little Thai then they are less likely to try and con you.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Good on him, tell it how it is.

It is as King Power designed this airport. Domestic fully serviced by moving walkways and no Duty free. International a 2km. hike through shops controlled by King Power and No moving walkways. A disgrace !

You're exaggerating about the 2km of walkway, but it is a lot. I've always said that Suvarnabhumi is a mall masquerading as an airport.

His comments are all valid but I can say from my own experiences there have been good and bad. As to the taxi drivers, its all been said. Thugs and ripoff merchants all.

However, has Mr Koki Aki ever tried Heathrow? Arrivals and departures are a commplete shambles on most days. Swampy is not the best but there are far worse.

Parades, music and dancing is not so important to display Thainess to the tourists.

Displaying Thainess at your national airport, the very first entry point to your country, is more important and will be remembered.

I believe that there is a sense and understanding of priorities missing here.

Are you suggesting that Thainess is not being showed at Swampy?

Mr Koki Aki should come to the Philippines. I'm pretty sure after his visit he will love thailand. Im not saying what his complaining about should be disregarded, but i have been to thailand many times and have learned to get around all his issues. Of course living and visiting a place is completely two different thing. But i will love to hear his comments after his visit to Philippines.

I don't normally clear customs in BKK until I reach Chiang Mai - it's normally an easy transfer. On the return flight, the transfer is still fairly straightforward, but the departures level in BKK can be boring and the prices are steep.

I tend to avoid taxis in BKK, not because of scams (always had the meter), but because some taxi drivers drive a little too fast for my liking, especially when I find that my safety belt has been rendered unserviceable. The train is OK, though, and not priced at a premium, as some airports' train services are (I'm thinking of you, Sydney and Brisbane). In any event taxis are not the airport's problem.

Sure, there are better airports in the region (SIN, HK, ICN) but if I compare Swampi to LAX, or my home base of Melbourne (don't get me started), I'd take Swampi any day.

im just pleased that in 18 years i have never had any of his problems beyond a 30 minute wait at immigration, but even those are few and far between.

good for him for speaking up however, he certainly seems to be far more efficacious at being heard than any of the miserable twunts that post here.

Yer much the same HooHaa.....sometimes its crowded, sometimes OK--but seems that every whining expat here has a horror story, & to make it worse its all wrapped up with everything else that's bad about Thailand--makes you want to ask the inevitable question about keep returning -------"Why"

London HR was a bad stop off for me, waited well over an hour & half at immigration with my TW a year ago, (& this wasn't when they were on one of their many work-to-rule weeks), but with the new Terminal's opening they seem to have improved on that a lot-----although it can be a hell of a walk.

I used to dread going home to Brisbane, you didn't have to worry about Taxis overcharging you--- there were none, because of the flight time restrictions the airport was shut if you came in on a late flight, so no coffee or food, & Taxis weren't about to hang around. But I am told, that has improved.

I think with immigration people have to realize that if you are returning to your own country, then its of course easier --you can just place your passport in a machine, or only have to pass a prelim check on your passport.

I think BKK airport can be a headache, (as with most airports) so I guess all the complainers must be wondering how it didn't make the CNN...top worst 10 airports for passengers , ...I guess because there was no room after they had listed these airports, of which many of are in countries that the complainers come from----

France -Paris-- "This airport is the worst in the world. Seriously, the place doesn't look like a place where people from many countries arrive"

Frankfurt-- Germany "Since the seats are metallic and not comfortable, the best places to sleep are actually on the luggage conveyor belts, or on the floor just next to the rental car "

Italy --- "The only way this airport could be improved would be to destroy it and rebuild"

Berlin Germany--- "Seating is limited, queues are long, restaurants are crowded and hallways offer little personal space"

USA--New York City---- "This worn out airport repeatedly makes it to the top of least favorite airports because of its security lines, drab décor, poor restaurant selection, lackluster cleanliness, counter intuitive layout and the notoriously unhelpful staff Once through security a beer is pretty much a necessity. But wait! No can do because the bar is on the other side !!!

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/20/travel/worst-airports-2014/

Have to agree with you on ''Paris'' ''CDG''.. its like a Doss house for the Homeless, so so many living there, wandering about pushing trolleys... sad to see..

But like you said the Airport is something else, Dated or what... has to be the Grottest out there for sure..

Too few and stinky toilets, personell can't speak english, too crowded at the check-inn, not enough smoking area's, no "good day sir" or smile, very long qeueu's, crappy dirty taxi's and driversmentality, restaurants can't speak english, no free wifi, too few seats for the A380 plane's, and airline groundstaff can't speak english facepalm.gif

For a minute, I thought you were talking about Manila. Perhaps we are all asking too much. Are we expecting Thais to first-class? They are still a developing country. Yes, I know tourism is high profile here, and giving tourists the best care is the logical thing. However, logic, may be the problem.

In any society where there is a inbred acceptance of dishonesty, laziness and disdain for non-indigenous people, the result is indifference, an expectation of reward and avoidance of work being paid for.

This is not a Thai phenomenon. It seems to be more obvious because of the "in-your-face, what are you going to do" attitude of many in the "service and hospitality industry".

Don Muang airport has much situation from my experience. There are many rip-off cabbies lurking at the airport and city, who should be working elsewhere with inanimate objects.

I always insist on meter some drivers even start driving before agreed terms one time a driver got so angry I refused he dropped me of at by the side of the road I was polite but firm. I quickly got another taxi as I was by the road near MEGA. I reported that driver but no response from Thai authorities. From now on when the rate bkk taxi app is up I'm gonna give a bottom rating for every driver that doesn't follow the rules stone cold. Cleanliness, polite, safety, meter and drive to my destination. Refusal to use meter or drive to destination will give an immediate bottom score. I also started using uber when using uber x going from Ploenchit to Rangsit it's about 50-100 baht cheaper and with uber black is just about 50 baht more expensive than a regular taxi. Both uber x and black have free water when riding with them. I'm gonna stick with uber when possible.

i find that if i name my route and insist on no toll roads, in that oh so obnoxious smiley farang way the that seems to work, the taxi drivers will do as requested, hate you for it, grumble all the way and probably not thankyou for the tip, but will take you. i'm lucky i usually arrive late at night, so this helps in the battle of wills, helps with traffic jams etc, i hate travelling in a death trap with fake rear seat belts at high speed on a road that circles your neighbourhood twice before spitting you out into gridlock.

airport to sathorn 220 baht plus the 50 surcharge then a round up to the 300, more if they are absolute stars, and they do exist.

I still remember leaving bkk on my first trip a few years ago,as I was leaving to go to HCMC I was waiting to get stamped out...I looked a mess,dishevelled,bloodshot eyes,hungover...

The officer looked at me and asked..

"First time in thailand?"

I replied..."yes"

He laughed out loud and said

"Well done!"

It was if he was congratulating me for surviving!!!

Had to laugh!!!

Although as previous people on here have stated LHR is also terrible and as for LGW....don't even go there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i don't understand all this complaints; for example, i've been in philippines, laos and cambodia and at immigration the organisation, the queues and corruption are much much much worser and the prices are almost the same, sometime also more expensive

taxi meter or no meter? just ask driver and agree...i personally refuse any taxi driver that doesn't accept to use taxi meter until i find one that does, it's not so difficult... now they also risk big police fines to avoid meter use

suvarnabhumi is a good airport, full of services, cheap and luxuries ones, subways and buses links to all main thailand destination, many smoking rooms/areas; u can sleep on the floor and use their electric sockets and nobody says anything

the only ugly thing there is not free wifi (unless you're leaving and you are already inside the departures gate after check in)

thailand is not japan or usa, neither their colony, but somebody pretends the same quality service paying just one fifth for unknown reasons

• Like 1

Good on him, tell it how it is.

It is as King Power designed this airport. Domestic fully serviced by moving walkways and no Duty free. International a 2km. hike through shops controlled by King Power and No moving walkways. A disgrace !

They probably did.....When the airport first opened, I remember that King Power

had so much footage that there was no space left for bathrooms. After some talk

of booting King Power from the airport, I think they make a few concessions

on space.

For a massive airport, the toilets are a disgrace. Fortunately, I got to use the Royal Orchid lounge last time I was there. Very comfortable.

• Like 1

This cursed airport is the first point of entry into Thailand for most tourists, and the rip-offs, long queues, surly officials and thuggish taxi drivers create an ominous foretaste of what's in store for the remainder of your Amazing Thai vacation. Enjoy your stay, but leave us all your money!

"...create an ominous foretaste ..."

The world must seem a scary place for those travelling for the first time without mom and dad or venturing further afield than 100 km from the Cedar Rapids city center.

On the other hand, most of the farang I've seen traipsing about Bangkok or Pattaya don't look like the sort that indulge in "ominous foretastes." I'd say the majority of them aren't as easily frightened by immigrations officials or taxi drivers as you and Koki Aki and probably have the common sense to avoid the transparent "rip offs" to which you've apparently fallen prey.

Something tells me Koki Aki could be the sensitive artistic type who would subscribe to your "ominous foretaste" school of drama. Maybe you and he could get together and share horror stories of scuffed luggage and frightening "rough trade" taxi drivers.

Edited by Suradit69

We have all be saying this for years, but with little change from the powers in control.

As Thailand is all about saving face, will be interesting if this Japanese man's rant gains

some traction in social media, and forces the junta to make some changes. Japan carries

a LOT of financial clout here in Thailand, so will be interesting to see what happens...

There does not seem much interest in what this guy says according to the article. We live in a sheeple world herded about by the powers that be. Also there is so much deliberately planted (feel happy) news articles to keep our minds off of the real problems facing us. Indirectly we are being controlled for the benefit of the 1% that own over half of the planets wealth. Maybe aliens will land on the planet someday and set us all free. Ah well enough wishful thinking must get back to retiring.