No order to impeach Yingluck, Prayut says

webfact

There are people here who are arguing that two wrongs make a right.

Nothing has happened in Thailand which will assure fairness or future stability. The power has switched sides which is all that was intended in the first place.

Thai a Heart is soooo right. The only way that Thais could learn about the consequences of their votes would be to have them suffer the consequences of them. That's how we all learn from our mistakes.

I can't understand how any Westerner who grew up with the privilege of democracy which allowed a first world country and its advantages could support a coup in a third world country which seems determined to remain a third world country.

Really? Stopping blatant theft by a government and publicly prosecuting them is a far inferior process to letting them steal until the country collapses financially?

Democracy at ANY price?

It might suit you to benefit from that, but I have children here, and I would rather not have them pay for the consequences of your lofty ideals.

the 'intervention' was the theft of human rights, not money.

I've got kids here too and I don't want them to suffer the same way Thais have been suffering under the thumb of the generals since the 50s.

• Like 2

Nothing has happened in Thailand which will assure fairness or future stability. The power has switched sides which is all that was intended in the first place.

Thai a Heart is soooo right. The only way that Thais could learn about the consequences of their votes would be to have them suffer the consequences of them. That's how we all learn from our mistakes.

I can't understand how any Westerner who grew up with the privilege of democracy which allowed a first world country and its advantages could support a coup in a third world country which seems determined to remain a third world country.

Really? Stopping blatant theft by a government and publicly prosecuting them is a far inferior process to letting them steal until the country collapses financially?

Democracy at ANY price?

It might suit you to benefit from that, but I have children here, and I would rather not have them pay for the consequences of your lofty ideals.

I've got kids here too and I don't want them to suffer the same way Thais have been suffering under the thumb of the generals since the 50s.

Your resemblance to a country dunny is amazing. I will repeat my earlier questions:

Just how much do you think the rice scam would have cost the country if allowed to continue for 5 years? How many trillions of baht should they have been allowed to steal and waste before "democracy" ran its course? And what makes you think that it wouldn't all have been covered by Yingluk's amnesty bill, passed as soon as they returned to office (making the BIG assumption they could bribe their way back in)?

You bask in the warm feeling you are protecting Thais rights. I'll stick to protesting about the bastards stealing the money which could improve their lives.

Democracy at ANY price?

Your resemblance to a country dunny is amazing. I will repeat my earlier questions:

Just how much do you think the rice scam would have cost the country if allowed to continue for 5 years? How many trillions of baht should they have been allowed to steal and waste before "democracy" ran its course? And what makes you think that it wouldn't all have been covered by Yingluk's amnesty bill, passed as soon as they returned to office (making the BIG assumption they could bribe their way back in)?

You bask in the warm feeling you are protecting Thais rights. I'll stick to protesting about the bastards stealing the money which could improve their lives.

I simply place more value on human rights and freedom than you do.

You care about money.

I like my perspective better than yours

• Like 1

You care about money.

Well of course you do, it comes from an over-inflated sense of self worth. While you care about ephemeral rights, my interest is not so much the money as what it can buy, like better schools and hospitals. Better educated Thais might stop voting for criminals.

BTW Thais seem to be getting along fine at the moment, despite the loss of rights which disturb you so much, while large criminals are being brought to book, and they even like it apparently.

Just mentioned on ABC news Australia that he had ordered her impeached.

Never believe journalists unless they say what you want to hear.

Never wanted to hear about the terrorist attacks in Sydney and France so thank god it was all lies and stories made up by the media. So funny that people actually believed them.

I wouldn't have any problem with Yingluck being up before a legitimete court, of democratic basis, but up,in front of Prayuths baying puppet mob?

Come on now, you would soon change your tune if it were you.

And let's be honest you needn't have committed any crime for you to be there.

Yes, quite. I was wondering what law Yingluck is suppose to have broken.

Incompetent Prime Minister with more money and lawyers than sense? Probably. Technically a criminal? Yet to be proven, clearly.

You care about money.

Well of course you do, it comes from an over-inflated sense of self worth. While you care about ephemeral rights, my interest is not so much the money as what it can buy, like better schools and hospitals. Better educated Thais might stop voting for criminals.

BTW Thais seem to be getting along fine at the moment, despite the loss of rights which disturb you so much, while large criminals are being brought to book, and they even like it apparently.

you obviously have no idea where my values for human rights come from.

Better educated Thais might stop voting for criminals.

that's a tired old line from anti-democrats and it's also just plain arrogant.

BTW Thais seem to be getting along fine at the moment

That simply depends on which Thais you mean.

while large criminals are being brought to book,

the country is being run by criminals - the same clowns who have been running the country (into the ground) for decades. If you have no sense of history and no perspective, then it will be hard for us to have a discussion.

But it is incredible that you treat human rights so casually. Let's have your own home country government take your passport, send you to an undisclosed solitary confinement for a few weeks without admitting that they actually have you in custody and see if that suits you, Whadaya say? Game?

• Like 2

You just need to listen more to that propaganda song sung by Thai children. Your only other viable option is a week absence from society getting a taste of the Pm's Attitude Adjustment Therapy. Then you will be mellow as yellow.

You care about money.

the country is being run by criminals - the same clowns who have been running the country (into the ground) for decades. If you have no sense of history and no perspective, then it will be hard for us to have a discussion.

But it is incredible that you treat human rights so casually. Let's have your own home country government take your passport, send you to an undisclosed solitary confinement for a few weeks without admitting that they actually have you in custody and see if that suits you, Whadaya say? Game?

Oh stop it, you're making me cry. What about the right to education, hospitals and other infrastructure that they have paid for via taxes. Should they be ignored while criminals help themselves to the nation's wealth. Why do you support these criminals because they are clever enough to manipulate the farce that is democracy here? The rice scam was nothing but electoral bribery offered to those stupid enough to believe that they would benefit, along with various other populist policies that have miserably failed.

BTW you have noticeably failed to answer my questions re the COST of your beloved democratic rights. Wossamatter, can't count that high?

You just

You care about money.

You just need to listen more to that propaganda song sung by Thai children. Your only other viable option is a week absence from society getting a taste of the Pm's Attitude Adjustment Therapy. Then you will be mellow as yellow.

• Like 1

Your remark suggests that not even you might be neutral. So, on which side are you? The side of the enraged tax -payers or the side which has grown beyond caring about money ?

you are right dear Rubl I am not 'neutral' I am for the poor, the needy and the electorate (which currently has NO voice)

I have no affinity with 'tax payers' nor those that have 'grown beyond caring about money'

I am ON the side of those that need education, health treatment and care

I see the ammart protecting itself and it's wealth through political manipulation and only fools fall for it, as in every country - do you fall for it dear Rubl? I suspect, regretfully, you do

The needy and poor were used in the election to get some amply rich folks even richer. Nothing about 'education', 'improving health care' and so.

If you have no affinity with tax payers it suggests you are not a tax payer and certainly not one in Thailand. Still you're not beyond caring for money. That leads to at least two possibilities. One is you're Amply Rich yourself, the other you have been fooled and should like to see Ms. Yingluck take her responsibility and the government making her do so. A third possibility I discard as lying and baiting is not done by esteemed forum members apart from being against forum rules.

Have a nice day, my dear binji,

uncle rubl

@Halloween: fair question about the cost, and I'd love to see a serious economic analysis of it. A lot of it would be based on estimates and information we don't have access to, so we can only guess. By the November estimate of the junta's Ministry of Finance, the 10-year cost was 680 billion Baht. Compare this to other costs such as the rampant nepotism and unnecessarily large government departments (Prayuth's own is one of the first that comes to mind), and while it's a bad policy, it's an exaggeration to call it ruinous. I work in education and what I consider ruinous on a whole other scale is keeping 90% of the population artificially undereducated while sending your own kids to international school and Western universities.

I could see your argument if I saw evidence of a real corruption cleanup right now, not just a couple of quick catches for show. We're almost 1 year in with absolute control of all arms of government in an endemically corrupt country, and a few symbolic catches is all they've got now? Before the coup, there was the rumor about 30-50% corruption cream on top of all government expenditures. This raises the question: why are budgets not being slashed now, and why does VAT have to increase from 7 to 8%? Come one, there's been this giant windfall and still you're talking about a tax increase...

When can we expect an announcement that the government is going to do something about the disgusting retail and other oligopolies in this country that make my shopping expenses higher here than in Europe (and much higher than the US)?

I can't even go in too much detail (the yellow camp has censorship to its advantage, so if you're a red or a proponent of proper procedure (most of us are the latter, much as the yellows like to misrepresent us and claim there's only 2 camps), but if the role I would have liked to see the army take is being a moral, threatening force keeping democratic governments in check. Whisper in Yingluck's ear: "drop it or we'll do this the Chinese way". And that's for when legal processes don't work. There were plenty of watchdogs and also street protests to keep the government in check. But you didn't see them demanding specific changes from the government, it was all about grabbing power. As I write this, this is so blindingly obvious that I regret wasting the last 10 minutes of my life spelling that out.

Edited by sundrenched

@Halloween: fair question about the cost, and I'd love to see a serious economic analysis of it. A lot of it would be based on estimates and information we don't have access to, so we can only guess. By the November estimate of the junta's Ministry of Finance, the 10-year cost was 680 billion Baht. Compare this to other costs such as the rampant nepotism and unnecessarily large government departments (Prayuth's own is one of the first that comes to mind), and while it's a bad policy, it's an exaggeration to call it ruinous. I work in education and what I consider ruinous on a whole other scale is keeping 90% of the population artificially undereducated while sending your own kids to international school and Western universities.

I could see your argument if I saw evidence of a real corruption cleanup right now, not just a couple of quick catches for show. We're almost 1 year in with absolute control of all arms of government in an endemically corrupt country, and a few symbolic catches is all they've got now? Before the coup, there was the rumor about 30-50% corruption cream on top of all government expenditures. This raises the question: why are budgets not being slashed now, and why does VAT have to increase from 7 to 8%? Come one, there's been this giant windfall and still you're talking about a tax increase...

When can we expect an announcement that the government is going to do something about the disgusting retail and other oligopolies in this country that make my shopping expenses higher here than in Europe (and much higher than the US)?

I can't even go in too much detail (the yellow camp has censorship to its advantage, so if you're a red or a proponent of proper procedure (most of us are the latter, much as the yellows like to misrepresent us and claim there's only 2 camps), but if the role I would have liked to see the army take is being a moral, threatening force keeping democratic governments in check. Whisper in Yingluck's ear: "drop it or we'll do this the Chinese way". And that's for when legal processes don't work. There were plenty of watchdogs and also street protests to keep the government in check. But you didn't see them demanding specific changes from the government, it was all about grabbing power. As I write this, this is so blindingly obvious that I regret wasting the last 10 minutes of my life spelling that out.

I'll take exception to one part of your post ' By the November estimate of the junta's Ministry of Finance, the 10-year cost was 680 billion Baht.'

That statement does not accurately reflect the real position, as most of the loss was in the Yingluk administration, and the numbers were rising rapidly as increasing volumes and age increased storage and depreciation costs, and the PTP cronies increased their subsidiary scams. IMHO that cost would more than tripled over the next 5 years, interest being added as money was borrowed to prop up the fools' scheme.

You think that the junta is not doing enough to reduce corruption, even though corrupt officials ARE being prosecuted and removed. Perhaps not enough, but give them time. It is certainly an improvement over NO corruption prosecutions, the turning of blind eyes by DSI and BIB, the scoffing at accurate claims, and an anti-corruption committee headed by Chalerm.

I'll take exception to one part of your post ' By the November estimate of the junta's Ministry of Finance, the 10-year cost was 680 billion Baht.'

That statement does not accurately reflect the real position, as most of the loss was in the Yingluk administration, and the numbers were rising rapidly as increasing volumes and age increased storage and depreciation costs, and the PTP cronies increased their subsidiary scams. IMHO that cost would more than tripled over the next 5 years, interest being added as money was borrowed to prop up the fools' scheme.

You think that the junta is not doing enough to reduce corruption, even though corrupt officials ARE being prosecuted and removed. Perhaps not enough, but give them time. It is certainly an improvement over NO corruption prosecutions, the turning of blind eyes by DSI and BIB, the scoffing at accurate claims, and an anti-corruption committee headed by Chalerm.

Stimulating the economy is not easy when the previous government created such enormous losses.

In September, 2014 we still had

"The debt is now estimated at around US$15.3-18.4 billion and the country will need to replace it, possibly with five-or seven-year bonds, the minister told reporters. "Now the market is likely accept bonds of no longer than 20 years," he said, adding the bonds would not be sold at once. "We will roll them over until the debt is paid off, which may take about 30 years," he added."

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/thailand-considers-bond-issues-to-help-finance-rice-debt

"Luck estimated the government still owed BAAC about 750 billion baht in debt related to the scheme.

"The government plans to set aside money from the central budget and the money it gets from selling rice stocks to repay the bank, but it could take around seven years for the government to pay it all back," he said.

The 750 billion baht was the money the government had borrowed from the bank to buy rice from farmers at 15,000 baht per tonne, about 60 percent above market rates, from October 2011 to February 2014."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/17/us-thailand-rice-debt-idUSKBN0HC10Q20140917

You got that right, I don't think they're doing enough. The only prosecutions I'm seeing is where it's convenient to sideline opponents and entrench themselves into power + a few for show like temporary crackdowns on lottery prices and street vendors. The government house microphone and TV scandal was small potatoes but a rare glimpse in what's really going on. 500,000 Baht per TV set of a 2-year outdated plasma technology, and no investigation because it would be too demoralizing at a critical time. Oh yeah, sounds very anti-corruption-crusaderish to me...

Meanwhile, court cases against the yellows (e.g., 2008 airport seizure) get stalled ad infinitum where if it's for redshirts, yellows act high and mighty, "throw the full force of the law at them".

Fair point about the bulk of the losses (IIRC about 75%) being after the introduction of the most recent rice scheme, but that was already started to look like a gigantic failure before the PDRC protests and like an earlier poster said, it would have been much better for the nation to let Yingluck fail on her own and political space to open up for the more decent and capable people in the center. I wouldn't expect Sweden overnight, but a slow evolution in the right direction and respectable standards of governance in 1-2 generations. I'd rather take my chances on what little this represents, than the charade we have now. It MAY be better than under Yingluck, but very marginally at best, and at least the Thaksins helped the poor (for the wrong reasons, but still helping them). So if we're screwed under both of them, I rather take my chances on democratic evolution.

When you talk to middle and lower income people in this country, do you really feel elite rule of the past 50 years has not let them down?

Edited by sundrenched

Oh stop it, you're making me cry. What about the right to education, hospitals and other infrastructure that they have paid for via taxes. Should they be ignored while criminals help themselves to the nation's wealth. Why do you support these criminals because they are clever enough to manipulate the farce that is democracy here? The rice scam was nothing but electoral bribery offered to those stupid enough to believe that they would benefit, along with various other populist policies that have miserably failed.

BTW you have noticeably failed to answer my questions re the COST of your beloved democratic rights. Wossamatter, can't count that high?

I've got a tissue for you.. here, dry your eyes...

And then think about the fact that you are making a false choice. It's a false choice between freedom or good governance.

It's a choice between free/not free. It's a choice between respecting human rights and violating human rights.

Your false choice between the old corrupt politicians or a 'good people' military government is a mirage. It's a false argument created by those who want to control the country for themselves.

We can debate the integrity, honor, honesty ... and lack of those things ... for any government which exists, military or elected. In Thailand or elsewhere. Good governance vs freedom is not the question at all.

I enjoy the basic protections of human rights as an American (except of course at times like these in Thailand). I want the same for my kids. Now they will have that one way or another, but I want them to have those basic protections if they live in Thailand.

Let's be really clear...

For the Thailand, the choice is free or not free.

Edited by tbthailand
  • Like 1

I think the Prince Minister, name given because his size as compared to "Purple Rain" Prince, has been executing a rather strategic plan using smoke and mirrors. Nothing is what it seems until the final curtain. But he is pretty good at the slight of hand which leads me to believe he ever was a magician. But when you are use to seeing politics and politicians in the USA then it is easy to see what he is doing. Not calling him a liar but he has told a many untruths. Squelched the voices of The People, media and those who apposed him. His anti corruption arrests of key police figures has some members commending the general but what you fail to see is that he is hunting and removing forces he sees as a threat. With those removed and their weaponry, who shall stand against him? When the Prince Minister opens the final curtain he will perform Purple Rain in the key of "C" Communism.