Changing your VISA

I know I'm going to catch a lot of grief for this very stupid thing I did, and I know I'm going to pay. but I just want to know what to expect.

I came to Thailand on a 60 day VISA and I didn't want my GF to know I came a week earlier and partied in BKK. So, I went to Big C and bought a date stamp and over-stamped the first digit in the day from a 1 to a 2. Now the original stamp was not pressed in that good to begin with, and I just wanted it to not be clear that is was a 1. However, when I went to immigration to get an extension the lady ran a check on the date because it was not clear and it came back knowing that my passport was altered. I of course denied that I had modified the passport and to make a stupid long story a stupid shorter story, I ended up spending the night in jail for my stunt. Cost me 80k to bail out the next day.

I know! One of the dumbest thing to do...but I did it. The intent was not to cheat the Thai government or anything like that about my length of stay, it was just so my girl didn't know when I came in. In fact I was at immigration 2 days before my 60 days would have run out to get the extension.

So fast forward.... the police took my passport "as evidence" and I was told by immigration the next day that I could not get an extension without my passport.(catch 22) So, I've been basically stuck with no passport and no visa extension for over a month. The police are not sure when I will go to court and still will not release my passport and immigration keeps telling me nothing they can do without my passport.

My questions are...what is going to happen? Any ideas about when I will go to court, and what to expect? I'm not sure of what my fine will be, but I really can't see it being more than 50k (I hope). I'm also preparing to pay the 20k at the door when it hits me in the rear when I leave because I am now well over 90 days overstay. Once I know my court date, I will change my flight to the following weekend or even day, but I need to know what to expect.

Thanks

Don't know what will happen as I've never heard about anyone doing such a thing lol. Maybe best to leave Thailand & return to your home country before you will need to go to court & get in more trouble.

Why would you show your gf your passport in the 1st place?

Don't know what will happen as I've never heard about anyone doing such a thing lol. Maybe best to leave Thailand & return to your home country before you will need to go to court & get in more trouble.

Why would you show your gf your passport in the 1st place?

Just how would he leave Thailand before his court date? The police have his passport. Did you read the post ?

• Like 1

You should get a lawyer to get to know when your court date will be - usually these small matters are handled quickly, or if it can be avoided for a fine and no deportation. If you are delayed because of the court case you can get an extension, but again that is best handled by the lawyer. By the way since you passport is legally kept by police at this time you should contact your embassy to obtain an emergency travel document with which you can get an extension and even travel - if allowed by Thailand.

Edited by paz

You should get a lawyer to get to know when your court date will be - usually these small matters are handled quickly, or if it can be avoided for a fine and no deportation. If you are delayed because of the court case you can get an extension, but again that is best handled by the lawyer. By the way since you passport is legally kept by police at this time you should contact your embassy to obtain an emergency travel document with which you can get an extension and even travel - if allowed by Thailand.

"...at this time you should contact your embassy to obtain an emergency travel document with which you can get an extension and even travel - if allowed by Thailand. "

I doubt most embassies would be eager to issue an emergency travel document if you tell them your passport is being held by the police pending a court/immigrations case. They'd probably want a police report that it was lost or stolen. If you lie to get the emergency travel document, you could be in deep do-do in Thailand and your own country.

According to the US embassy for example:

To replace the passport, you must apply in person at the U.S. Embassy during regular office hours, with the police report. A photocopy of the face page of the lost passport is helpful, as is photographic identification and other proof of U.S. citizenship. Acceptable evidence of citizenship are:

• an original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate,
  • an original or certified copy of a Consular Report of Birth,
  • a Naturalization Certificate,
  • a previous or expired passport.

An emergency travel document would only be available under compelling evidence for the need of one. Otherwise people trying to skip out of the country would be queuing up for emergency travel document and invite comment from the Thai authorities about the embassy assisting people on criminal charges.

And at least it's likely Thai immigrations could report to the embassy that Mr. X with visa number xxx has fled the country to avoid prosecution.

Edited by Suradit69

"...at this time you should contact your embassy to obtain an emergency travel document with which you can get an extension and even travel - if allowed by Thailand. "[/size]

I doubt most embassies would be eager to issue an emergency travel document if you tell them your passport is being held by the police pending a court/immigrations case. They'd probably want a police report that it was lost or stolen. If you lie to get the emergency travel document, you could be in deep do-do in Thailand and your own country.[/size]

According to the US embassy for example:

To replace the passport, you must apply in person at the U.S. Embassy during regular office hours, with the police report. A photocopy of the face page of the lost passport is helpful, as is photographic identification and other proof of U.S. citizenship. Acceptable evidence of citizenship are:

• an original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate,
  • an original or certified copy of a Consular Report of Birth,
  • a Naturalization Certificate,
  • a previous or expired passport.

An emergency travel document would only be available under compelling evidence for the need of one. Otherwise people trying to skip out of the country would be queuing up for emergency travel document and invite comment from the Thai authorities about the embassy assisting people on criminal charges.

Do you speak from in Consualar capacity or can you represent their policies, and for any country ?

Unless there is officia proof that a passport is legally seized and a person is forbidden from leaving, an consulate can provide the emergency document or even a replacement passport.

Not looking to skip out...not looking to cheat the Thai Gov't in anyway. I have been traveling, no issues..I'm not worried about any of that. I am here...waiting for my court date. The questions I have are around what might happen at court. In the big schema of things, what I did I think is trivial. All be it very dumb! but I did it. I'm looking for worst case and best case scenarios...thats all.

Thanks again.

Not looking to skip out...not looking to cheat the Thai Gov't in anyway. I have been traveling, no issues..I'm not worried about any of that. I am here...waiting for my court date. The questions I have are around what might happen at court. In the big schema of things, what I did I think is trivial. All be it very dumb! but I did it. I'm looking for worst case and best case scenarios...thats all.

Thanks again.

How one can say? You messed with a Thai stamp on a foreign passport but it appears you did not had the intent to deceive Thai immigration. You may or may not be helped by pleading guilty but first they would have to formulate an exact accusation. Seems logical that you should to get a good lawyer (and good luck with that) unless you can find a way on your own to have this thrown out even it means saying goodbye to bail money. As mentioned before I think that unless you take ownership you risk this dragging on and placing you in an even worse situation with overstay. etc.

Thanks again.

Thai immigration might take a different view because you altered their official stamp then you lied to them that you had no idea how the stamp was altered. You might think it's trivial but they might think differently. It might have been better to tell the truth that you were scared that your gf would see you partied a week earlier in BKK & you were scared of her catching you out on this. Maybe they might've had a bit of a chuckle with each other & wouldn't have been so harsh.