Australia gives Down Syndrome baby left in Thailand citizenship

webfact

Australia gives Down Syndrome baby left in Thailand citizenship

Sydney, Australia | AFP |

BANGKOK: -- A baby at the centre of a Thai surrogacy scandal has been granted Australian citizenship, authorities said Tuesday, after his birth mother said he was abandoned by a Perth couple who went home with his healthy twin sister.

Baby Gammy sparked a global debate about the legal and moral issues surrounding surrogacy when reports emerged in August that he was left behind by the pair, who returned to Australia with his sister Pipah.

The couple have denied abandoning the boy, who has Down's syndrome, saying they had wanted to bring him home and left Thailand fearing the surrogate mother would seize their daughter.

"The department can confirm that an application for baby Gammy's Australian citizenship by descent has been assessed and found to have met all criteria for the grant," an immigration department spokeswoman said in a statement.

"It is not appropriate for the department to make any further comments on this case."

Surrogate mother Pattaramon Chanbua, who is in her early 20s, confirmed her son had been granted Australian citizenship.

"He got citizenship four days ago. The Australian embassy called me on Friday to ask me to come and collect the documents," she told AFP by telephone from her home in Chonburi province, 80 kilometres (50 miles) east of the capital Bangkok.

Pattaramon, also known as Goy, said she has no immediate plans to take her son to Australia but applied for citizenship with the help of the Australian charity Hands Across the Water as a safeguard for his future.

"I want him to be near me here (in Thailand) so that I don't have to miss him," the 21-year-old mother said.

"But if all of my family, including me die and if Gammy is left behind alone, at least the Australian government will help him."

She added that Gammy is in good health and turned one in December.

The baby has moved into a new home in Chonburi province about 90 kilometres south-east of Bangkok using money donated by well-wishers across the globe, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported.

Gammy's biological father, David Farnell, a convicted sex offender, is under investigation by the authorities in Western Australia regarding the wellbeing and safety of Pipah.

Commercial surrogacy is illegal in Australia, prompting growing numbers of infertile couples to head overseas to countries such as India and Thailand to fulfil their dreams of having a family.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-01-20

"But if all of my family, including me die and if Gammy is left behind alone, at least the Australian government will help him."

If I am reading this correctly, the Australian government is on the hook for the costs, not the parents. Good for the baby, not so good for the taxpayers.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If I am reading this correctly, the Australian government is on the hook for the costs, not the parents. Good for the baby, not so good for the taxpayers.

IMHO, given the overall specifics of this case a little compassion towards the baby is a good and correct decision.

• Like 1

Well done Australia, whether born deformed, deficient, afflicted by mental illness or anything else thqts not the norm, we are all living human beings and deserve equality in this world. Don't pity them, don't wtare and point at them, socialide and try to understand them, be a friend to them. We all just get one life, their life is no different than yours, respect them.

• Like 1

I think to receive care and medical the child would have to go to Australia.

Australian citizens are not entitled to Australian Goverment medical assistance while in Thailand.

Opens a can of worms if they give finacial assistance directly.

Not being cold hearted, just realistic.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think to receive care and medical the child would have to go to Australia.

Australian citizens are not entitled to Australian Goverment medical assistance while in Thailand.

Opens a can of worms if they give finacial assistance directly.

Not being cold hearted, just realistic.

Perhaps no need to explore the tiny details here on TV.

I am aware that there are systems whereby certain categories of people (not great numbers in total) can get specific types of medical care abroad and get reimbursement, but I have no intention to go into details.

Good luck to the little one.

IMHO, given the overall specifics of this case a little compassion towards the baby is a good and correct decision.

I wouldn't argue with you...but I'm not paying the bill. My point is that the parents should have to pay all costs.

If you are a taxpayer, then YES you are paying the bill. This will be another excuse by the government to increase the prices of Visas and passports.

Edited by Time Traveller