30-day visa exemption question

Hi there folks,

With my Swiss passport, I stayed a month in Thailand without a visa in August last year, then left the country and stayed another month by applying for a regular tourist visa in Vientiane, Lao. I went to the "West" since then, spent months in the US, Switzerland and China, and will be back in Thailand for another month, landing on the 24th of February.

Since I heard that you can only enter the country once every 6 months without a visa, do I actually need to apply for a normal tourist one? Or chances are that they will let me in without it?

Thanks for your precious help!

There is no rule that says you cannot do a visa exempt entry but once every 6 months. Some strange rumors and false info going around.

You can do another visa exempt entry without a problem.

You can even get a 30 day extension of that exempt entry now.

There is no rule that says you cannot do a visa exempt entry but once every 6 months. Some strange rumors and false info going around.

Ubonjoe, is there a maximum number of back to back exempts you can get? I knew a Lao person who had their passport filled with exempts and left every month. Is there an exception for them?

Thanks a lot!

So it means that it's still possible for local farangs to do some visa runs with AirAsia and leave the country every month? I thought that the immigration bureau changed the rules shortly after limiting the overland border runs...

Thanks a lot!

So it means that it's still possible for local farangs to do some visa runs with AirAsia and leave the country every month? I thought that the immigration bureau changed the rules shortly after limiting the overland border runs...

Every 2 months, since you get a 30 day extension at immigration but I referr to my question above to Ubonjoe. I am farily certain there's a limit to how many you can have in a row.

Ubonjoe, is there a maximum number of back to back exempts you can get? I knew a Lao person who had their passport filled with exempts and left every month. Is there an exception for them?

Lao citizens get their 30 day exempt entries based upon a bilateral agreement meaning Thai's also get 30 days on entry to Laos under the same agreement.

Thailand has decided not to restrict Laotians entries for that reason.

There is a restriction on doing back to back entries just to get another 30 day entry after spending the entire 30 days on one.

Thanks a lot!

If a person stays for the entire 30 days, leaves and immediately returns just to get another 30 days they can be subject to questioning and be asked to show financial and proof they are not working there. If they cannot satisfy immigration they will be denied entry under section 12 of the immigration act.

At the Cambodian border they allow one back to back visa exempt entry after flying in if a person just crosses the border and returns.

Thanks a lot!

Every 2 months, since you get a 30 day extension at immigration but I referr to my question above to Ubonjoe. I am farily certain there's a limit to how many you can have in a row.

Getting the 30 day extension does not mean you can fly out and back and start all over again. There have been people turned away at a border crossing trying to do another exempt entry after the extension.

The is no limit on the number of entries you can do nor the time spent in a period of time.

See my previous post for an explanation of the restriction placed on them.

Edit: See this topic that has the guidelines immigration should be using. Thai Immigration guidelines for inspection of foreigners...