Interested to know average architect prices?

Kunjay

From 1st draft to final 3D design of a 3bd home in Chiang Mai?

We've been quoted 70k (baht)

Wifes sisters Husband paid 35k 2 yrs ago to design a 10bd apartment block.

What did you pay?

ps Architects work is good, have visually seen her work, open plan echo style housing not traditional 4 wall muban style.

Kunjay

Our house plans cost 5k bht done by a friend just out of architectural college.

Also quoted 12k by a local architect and by a guy recommended by the builder.

Each quote was just for a set of paper plans as have never seen the point of a 3d computer design myself.

We are currently designing a house which will be about 350 sq. meters including separate garage and maid's quarters. We are on about the sixth revision and will probably have a few more before all plans are finalized. Cost is 30,000 Baht but we expect an increase with the added revisions. Nevertheless, a good price.

A little over ten years ago we were astonished when a local architect with a specialization in restoring older heritage structures quoted her price to design our home - 8,000 Baht. We expected another zero in the price, but, happily, that was the price. With inflation, I'd anticipate a fair price nowadays would be around 20k baht...(?)

We are currently building a 200 sq m 3 bedroom house in Chiang Mai. The architect has produced the full design and full building specifications with a very large number of detailed structural drawings, plans, elevations, etc for everything. He has made 2 revisions already and offers unlimited revisions and he also visits to inspect the construction on a regular basis and discuss any issues with the builder. Total cost 28,000 baht. Really pleased with him. Fantastic service.

A builder told me years ago that the Thai Govt has a selection of free house plans. Thats what we used to build a small house on the farm. Nothing fancy mind you. I am not sure how large of a selection of plans they might have but it might be worth a look.

No matter how good the plans are, Where are you going to find a builder to follow them ? ,Spend the money on a good foreman/superviser.

Yep

Totally agree

My Thai wifes house which was built approx 5 years ago size 150sm bungalow 60 kms outside Nong Knai town

Was built from a basic plan found in one of the house design books you can buy in one of the Asia Book shops

Got a local builder around who happened to be one of her cousins around to her mums house

Who looked at the basic plan in the book

Asked my wife a few questions

Advised he would come back with a more detailed plan which he did

The following day we went down to the local council office and went to see the guy who was in charge of the new builds department in the local area

He looked at the builders plans

Advised he needed to add more detail including accurate measurements and elevations for this he charged my wife 3500 Baht

i was very dubious of this planning procedure and said so to my wife

My wife took me to see a few properties her cousin had built over the years

The owners were very helpful and showed us around inside

I was amazed at the quality and finish

Her cousin agreed to build my wife,s bungalow for 260,000 Baht (just labour costs no materials )

This price did not include outside walls,driveways,garden landscaping

My wife organised all materials

The build was finished in 7 months

The builder did a great job no complaints

Total cost including materials

Wall built around property perimeter and stainless steel gates concrete driveway etc 1.6million Baht

The land the property was built on was pretty much gifted to my wife for 50,000 Baht by one of her aunts

Who owns a lot of land in the local area

A same size plot of land ( 0.5 rai)directly opposite her property is built, on was sold for 500,000 Baht last year

The land is on a Soi just off the main High Street

Land prices have shot up over the last few years

Edited by Pheat123

gopis 108 - I will send you a PM with my Architect's contact details. He does not speak much English - but he does understand quite a bit and can produce bi-lingual plans etc and seems to know a lot of technical words in English - so I hope you have someone who can speak Thai with him - I speak reasonable Thai - but I am not very familiar with various technical words so my wife needs to explain them to me in simpler language

I am sure you will find prices for architects will vary from location to location. I live in Hua Hin. I asked friends to give me names of architects who could speak English and was given 2 names. I interviewed both and chose the one I felt I could communicate with best. I told him what I wanted ie plans in both English and Tai.he quoted me 200baht per square meter in 4 installments. he said he would have them done in 2 weeks...yep it took 2-3 months. He did good drawings but often his drawings were alien to my western thinking but we got there in the end. This has allowed both me and my thai builder to look at the drawings and be able to discuss it. Recommend you get a labor only cost from your builder after talking in depth about what he can and cannot do (spend a bit of time on this) and when and how much progress payments you will pay him. Then put that in a simple contract in English and Thai.

Ask architect if he knows reputable builder. Get Labor cost per person per hour. All separate listed materials cost. City connections cost. Taxes if any. If all done then sign a contract with all clearly listed details even if they say it's included. It will be a long list. Go through it for a week with someone if you didn't miss anything, like type of window, or sink. Color of tiles and shapes. Make sure you approve all the samples of the materials being used. Good luck.

Use an existing plan out of public domain. There is a slim chance that you and your local architect will do better. Most of them will be making modifications to an existing plan and making a lot of money off you. Custom homes are almost always a losing proposition. During the GFC in the US; the only people, who were hurt worse than those who bought in the exurbs, were those who had custom houses built in the exurbs. And then there are the geniuses, who import materials from Europe or the USA.....they will add about 40 cents in value for every Dollar spent, if that. Then again, if money doesn't matter; go for it. It seems to be a big ego booster, maybe something good for short people. I've heard people in the US say "we are building in Cuesta Verde," when in fact they are buying from a national crackerjack box builder, but they are picking out the shade of beige carpet, and off-white paint....the building, or assembly will be done by Central American immigrant labor.

Edited by bangmai

Architect price varies a lot, depending where you are located and what you are building. Get some 2 or 3 quotes, if the first offer seems too high.

I paid 50k in 2008 for drawings of a 300+ square meter villa; well I had drawn the house myself in details, so if was the technical computer schematics (no 3D) and engineer calculations, including applying for building permission (but not the fee to Tessa Ban).

We are currently building a 200 sq m 3 bedroom house in Chiang Mai. The architect has produced the full design and full building specifications with a very large number of detailed structural drawings, plans, elevations, etc for everything. He has made 2 revisions already and offers unlimited revisions and he also visits to inspect the construction on a regular basis and discuss any issues with the builder. Total cost 28,000 baht. Really pleased with him. Fantastic service.

May we please have the name and address and telephone number?

gopis 108 - I will send you a PM with my Architect's contact details. He does not speak much English - but he does understand quite a bit and can produce bi-lingual plans etc and seems to know a lot of technical words in English - so I hope you have someone who can speak Thai with him - I speak reasonable Thai - but I am not very familiar with various technical words so my wife needs to explain them to me in simpler language

Please PM me with the architect's name, address and telephone number.

We are 2 1/2 months into our build. About 125 sq meter, 155 with exterior porch and back landing. Architech wanted 15.000 which included everything it should and an engineers all important stamp/signature. We changed our minds enough we were abrutply charged another 5,000, which was a bit out-of-line IMO. And later again we changed our minds and were charged another 3,000 so the key is make sure, as much as you can, what you want before going to the architect.

The plans were absolutely necessary in communicating to our builder and the 3D drawings that were given to us gave us design ideas we didn't think about, but we liked these ideas so we could easily point to them when talking to the builder and say, "do same".