Current Employer Not Wanting to Get Me Work Permit

Hello all,

For the past few months I have been working at a Thai public school. I found out yesterday that they are not going forward with getting me a work permit because they do not want to extend me a contract to come back next year.

I have thought about collecting my last paycheck and then bailing. Is this a good idea?

I had been on the Non-B visa working and they had paid me faithfully so far.

Advice? I'm a newbie when it comes to working in Thailand.

There's only about another month and a half left in the term, correct?

Guessing with so little time , if they do not plan on inviting you back for next semester..... They probably don't want to be bothered...

Definately not the write thing, as likely should have gotten it for you much earlier..

Although at this point, if they did go forward, you would likely receive your WP just a short time before leaving ... (At best)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You are working illegally if you don't have a work permit.

If you are on a non-b visa you can resign and stay until your 90 day entry runs out.

I thought we are supposed to leave by midnight when we finish work?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you are on a non-b visa you can resign and stay until your 90 day entry runs out.

I thought we are supposed to leave by midnight when we finish work?

If your on a visa no...

On extension of stay for employment - yes

One suspects the op is on a visa can stay till his 90 days runs out

• Like 1

I thought we had to leave by midnight?

Okay, I was wondering about the ban. I have some time to mull this over.

The comment about the blacklisting (ban) was a bit overboard. There would be a fine and deportation but normally there is no blacklisting.

Is it common for foreigners to get caught working illegally? I never hear of it. I am interested cos i am working illegally too. The school keeps telling me i'm not illegal cos we are "in the process", but i know that's nonsense.

Just waiting for the waiver, then work permit.

• Like 1

There are hundred's of Farangs living and working in schools in Thailand with " No Work Permit " some get away with it and some get caught,fined and even " banged up " so its at your own risk! I was offered a teaching job a few weeks ago with " No Work Permit " and No Teaching qualifications.( after careful consideration i " declined " the offer ) It's all very well " paying brown envelopes " to Immigration but it doesn't take much to get caught!

( also with my personality being " wild & wacky " and being completely " Nuts " ( " Very Micheal Barrymore " ) in the classroom i wouldn't of lasted long with the Thai reserved attitude style of teaching...)

Kind respect to all our viewers....wai.gif

I am on my Non B visa and it is up soon this month.

If it is true there is a 90 day work permit or similar and they are not getting it who is to say they will pay me while I am working illegally?

The head teacher was telling me that "This is Thailand" and all that stuff. However with the current craziness of the military government maybe it's best not to take chances.

Thank you all for responding, I really do find your input helpful.

• Like 2

If it is true there is a 90 day work permit or similar and they are not getting it who is to say they will pay me while I am working illegally?

The head teacher was telling me that "This is Thailand" and all that stuff. However with the current craziness of the military government maybe it's best not to take chances.

Always remember that if you get caught then your life will become " complicated " but for the school its just another normal day at Waterloo Road .......wink.png

• Like 2

A work permit can be had for 14 days or less, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months or 24 months, the 12 month one being the most common

A work permit can be had for 14 days or less, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months or 24 months, the 12 month one being the most common

Well, I guess that settles it.

In future job interviews I suppose I can tell them I left because they wouldn't get the proper permit? Hopefully that sounds okay.

In order to teach legally as a foreigner in Thailand,

you require

1. a teaching licence or waiver. (Ministry of Education)

2. a work permit (Ministry of Labour)

3 permission to be in the country (Immigration Department)

You only have 1 of 3, that is number 3 in the list above.

In order to teach legally as a foreigner in Thailand,

you require

1. a teaching licence or waiver. (Ministry of Education)

2. a work permit (Ministry of Labour)

3 permission to be in the country (Immigration Department)

You only have 1 of 3, that is number 3 in the list above.

How does someone get #1?

Welcome to Thailand

Unless you have a teaching qualification, they just don't give work permit in most schools here, just because they know they don't need to.

Everyday a charter full of desperately trying to escape unemployment in the home country candidates all with the same hope to make it at the TEFL game, lands at Swampy.

Meanwhile immigration is doing everything to get a good chunk of their already low salary and making their life more complicated everyday.

There are hundred's of Farangs living and working in schools in Thailand with " No Work Permit " some get away with it and some get caught,fined and even " banged up " so its at your own risk! I was offered a teaching job a few weeks ago with " No Work Permit " and No Teaching qualifications.( after careful consideration i " declined " the offer ) It's all very well " paying brown envelopes " to Immigration but it doesn't take much to get caught!

( also with my personality being " wild & wacky " and being completely " Nuts " ( " Very Micheal Barrymore " ) in the classroom i wouldn't of lasted long with the Thai reserved attitude style of teaching...)

Kind respect to all our viewers....wai.gif

Yes, what your saying is true. last month when I went to Savannakhet for visa based on marriage, I got talking to two guys, an Australian and a Russian. Both were working as English teachers and ad mitted to me they had no work permit, obviously, they would not have been there if they had.

I have an online TEFL. Is that what is meant? Or do you pass some proficiency test?

You have 3 types of teachers here:

1/ Teachers that are professional teachers in their home country, they have work permit, proper salary.

2/ Teachers that have a Bed (Bachelor in Education); They all have work permit too,but lower pay

3/ Teachers with just a degree or/and a TEFL, or no qualification at all, most of them have no work permit and low pay.

Edited by Kitsune