Tourists are reporting a dramatic surge in harassment by Thai police

webfact

Well dropping cigarettebutts on the street is a problem but why are there no bins? Is the fear of a bomb in a bin still that high? Then tourists should know about that.

Forget that stupid cigarette. Have you read the full story. If this make global headlines...

About 15 minutes later, another police officer produced a bag of white powder, shook it near my face and accused me of buying it.
Eventually, a police officer took me outside where a Thai woman told me if I paid the equivalent of $15,200, I would be released.
During my detention, I identified myself as a journalist many times and asked for an explanation. None was given to me. After my release, I wrote to the official email address of the Thai police, but it bounced back.

I would really recomend every Expat who is living in the country to avoid any of these places. I made plenty of very bad experiences with Immigrations in the last 9 months. I was two times extorted (paying at least 1000THB more then officially) that I will only get 15 or 30 days instead of 60 days I should get officially...

Edited by SoFarAndNear
  • Like 2

Anyone notice these stories have dropped off in January since it went viral. That's not good enough. Unless the scumbags who perpetrated these shakedowns are not publicly named and shamed, the BIB must know who they are, expect the tourist dollar to take a hike.

• Like 1

So, this is what passes for journalism these days. A drunk copy boy gets busted. Maybe Thailand doesn't want sketchy people anymore. I wouldn't blame them.

And, it's in Time magazine (Time.com). When was the last timewa anybody here read that rag?

Edited by sdanielmcev
  • Like 2

I was two times extorted (paying at least 1000THB more then officially) that I will only get 15 or 30 days instead of 60 days I should get officially...

This is madness, and I simply don't accept it as true.

How can you say "1000THB more than officially" when officially it's always zero charge.

Tell us which border you have experienced this, I have been through just about every border and airport many time in the last 14 years and it's never ever been suggested that there be any fee at all.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/791587-immigration-udon-big-changes

I also have another story, which I posted here. I entered the land border at Nong Khai last year. I should clearly get 30 days but the officer told me that he will give me only 15 days but if I paid (I think it was 500 Baht) he will give me 30 days.

You should read the Visa Section to read more stories like this. I met a nice belgium couple 2 week's ago. They are both retiring in Thailand. He told me horror stories of Koh Samaui Immigration. Officers demanding money and just called it a "new rule"

Edited by SoFarAndNear
  • Like 1

I was two times extorted (paying at least 1000THB more then officially) that I will only get 15 or 30 days instead of 60 days I should get officially...

This is madness, and I simply don't accept it as true.

How can you say "1000THB more than officially" when officially it's always zero charge.

Tell us which border you have experienced this, I have been through just about every border and airport many time in the last 14 years and it's never ever been suggested that there be any fee at all.

Here's another one for you:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/790073-30-day-extensions-for-visa-exempt-entries-at-jomtien5000-baht/

A 2:00am 'late drink' in Silom presumably means Patpong and in truth you kind of put yourself on offer hanging out there. Easy meat really for the RTP. Like other posters have said I think our man is making much more of this than it is worth.

• Like 2

They target Koreans who are usually heavy smokers and Arabs, too. I've seen these rent-a-cops fine unsuspecting tourists along a stretch of Sukhumvit. I'd hardly call this harassment, though. It's littering and it comes with a fine. I believe spitting, dropping cigarette butts, and littering are among the acts which can be legally fined along that small stretch. This is a crappy article. and should be ignored. Much hype over nothing.

Well done for lamest reply of the day so far. Truly imbecilic.

Did you even read the article? It's nothing to do with the ciggie butt officers but more to do with the fact that it seems police are acting like gangsters in order to extort money from tourists.

Now pop orf and read it again before replying....

Okay, so the rest of the article reveals a lot more than just the cigarette cops. Thanks for burying the real story in the flotsam of what's been going on in Sukhumvit forever. However, my hunch is that the bartender at the unnamed bar on Silom is not a tourist. The journalist is not a tourist. I'm going to go out on a limb and say these are expats, perhaps regulars at that bar who have been targeted by rogue police. It was 2AM at an after hours party when the bars are supposed to be closed. I hate the RTP as much as the next guy, and I won't blame the victims if they are truly victims in this case. The article mentions 4 Westerners. I'd like to hear their version of the story, too. 2am...possibly patpong...hate to say it, but you're asking for trouble in that area at that hour.

Edited by falangjim

So, this is what passes for journalism these days. A drunk copy boy gets busted. Maybe Thailand doesn't want sketchy people anymore. I wouldn't blame them.

And, it's in Time magazine (Time.com). When was the last timewa anybody here read that rag?

oh, I think their readership is only about 130 million people PER MONTH!

No, certainly won't affect anything herewhistling.gif

• Like 1

A 2:00am 'late drink' in Silom presumably means Patpong and in truth you kind of put yourself on offer hanging out there. Easy meat really for the RTP. Like other posters have said I think our man is making much more of this than it is worth.

"Choosing" to drink at silom might not be something I would do, but many ordinary people do when they visit Bangkok. Nothing really wrong with it and it definitely shouldn't be a reason for the scum element to rob tourists.

It's bad enough that this happens but what's worse is that they're allowed to do it with impunity because in fact the authorities don't give a sh*t

• Like 2