Tourists Are Reporting a Dramatic Surge in Harassment by Thai Police

Utley

Since the May 22 coup d’état that saw the ouster of a democratically elected government and martial law declared across the country, many tourists and expatriates in Bangkok have fallen prey to a criminal practice. The victims have little recourse when reporting incidents to the police, because the perpetrators are police officers.

It was Christmas Eve and I was at the upstairs area of a terrace bar in the Silom Road area having a late-night drink. At around 2 a.m. I called it a night and descended to the ground floor. There I saw half a dozen police officers searching the premises and interrogating the bartender, who was handcuffed on a chair. An officer detained me straight away. “What’s going on?” I asked, identifying myself as a journalist.
He made a menacing fist at me, which convinced me to pipe down.

<snipped>

Click here for the full article by Ian Lloyd Neubauer
Edited by Tywais
Snipped for fair use

I was shaken down for drrink driving. Went to jail then court and paid my fine. As i walked out of the courthose a free man i was arrested again and taken to the police station and told pay 15000 baht or we will take u to immigration and deport you. For a drink driving charge thats crap. Just paid it as after 2 days behind bars i had enough. The money for them was definitly tea money as no recipt was given it was just put into his pocket. I have no respect for thai police at all.

• Like 1