Garden Fork

NigelKennedy

Though I don't live anywhere near Chiang Mai what I usually do when I get stuck like that is to Google what I want in English, do a Google translate for the Thai. Google once again for a picture.

I put all 3 bits onto MS Word and the next time I am out I go to a likely place and show them the print out. That usually works or they can point me in the general direction. The other alternative is to show it to my wife and if she doesn't she will phone a friend and eventually what I need will turn up or I will be taken there.

Perhaps try here.

http://a.northernthailand.com/en/chiangmai-expat-and-residents-info/builders/building-supplies-services/137-global-house.html

O.K. Kamthieng market is the large plant market behind Tesco Lotus on the Super Highway.

The shop I found it in is fairly new - I think. I haven't noticed it before. It's at the end of market which leads to the aquarium supply shops. It is on the same soi as the large chemical shop that also sells garden tools, fairly close to it as I recall. Not a large shop buy very well stocked.

Bear in mind that it is not the same quality as one you find in a British or American garden supply shop. It is spot welded and primitive and not the highest quality metal but I think it will do the job. I'd post a photo but we already dropped it off at the g/f's lot out in Saraphi. If I get out there to do some work in the next few days I'll snap a photo of it.

O.K. Kamthieng market is the large plant market behind Tesco Lotus on the Super Highway.

The shop I found it in is fairly new - I think. I haven't noticed it before. It's at the end of market which leads to the aquarium supply shops. It is on the same soi as the large chemical shop that also sells garden tools, fairly close to it as I recall. Not a large shop buy very well stocked.

Bear in mind that it is not the same quality as one you find in a British or American garden supply shop. It is spot welded and primitive and not the highest quality metal but I think it will do the job. I'd post a photo but we already dropped it off at the g/f's lot out in Saraphi. If I get out there to do some work in the next few days I'll snap a photo of it.

The european garden fork had 10/13" tines/prongs and the run pretty much parallel to the shaft.

Here they are more akin to pitchforks for throwing cut grasses and thr like and much shorter prongs and actually "scalloped" in shape....and yes cheap and spot welded.

Are you sure its what we would use for digging up our tatties.?

• Like 1

your terminology is different from mine. Can you post a pic from the internet so I can learn a new phrase? Im an avid gardner but American, so its fun to compare British words with American ones. What direction might you be coming into CM to shop?

Here's the fork I bought from Global House a couple of months ago. I think the brand is Pollo and I the barcode number is 6222004720201 although the first digit could be a 0.

i-sqf443S-X2.jpg

The tines aren't quite as curved as you normally find in the UK but it's well made, comfortable to use and cheap. The people laying our lawn were well impressed and appeared never to have used one before. Maybe they went and bought up the rest of the stock at Global House....