best way to invest 4m. invest in condo ?

Don't waste your time in spain I've had a place in the market for ages

Currently property in Spain is selling like pancakes, but of course not at prices similar to 6 years ago, but rather at bank repossessed prices as a99az mentions.

So probably your place is above that price.

I know many people who have bought a property in Spain lately, and wouldn't have thought about that 6 years ago, and according to them there is still a lot available to pick up.

Its all very well thinking of buying into the Spanish property market but if the UK withdraws from the EU and access to the NHS reverts to how it is between the UK and Thailand, then the European mainland advantage becomes less attractive for retirees. Maybe some patience is appropriate in this direction.

• 2 weeks later...

bangkokequity has it dead right. The only reason to buy a condo is if you want to live in it! There's no capital appreciation that I have seen in 9 years on property in Thailand. There is a massive over-supply now and the units are getting smaller by the day. When I bought my 100sq metre Condo 9 years ago I spent 4.3 million baht. I would be lucky to get 3.5 mill for it now and its absolutely superb. The russians only buy new build and they are so small you can't swing a cat around in them!

There are plenty of houses and condos in Bangkok and elsewhere that have risen in price in the last decade. Where did you buy? I guess you've bought in the wrong place and assume the whole of Thailand is the same. It doesn't sound like you have any knowledge of property in Thailand at all apart from the one place you bought. I can personally show you plenty of places that have doubled in value. Location, location, location. Never forget that.

Currently property in Spain is selling like pancakes, but of course not at prices similar to 6 years ago, but rather at bank repossessed prices as a99az mentions.

I know many people who have bought a property in Spain lately, and wouldn't have thought about that 6 years ago, and according to them there is still a lot available to pick up.

Its all very well thinking of buying into the Spanish property market but if the UK withdraws from the EU and access to the NHS reverts to how it is between the UK and Thailand, then the European mainland advantage becomes less attractive for retirees. Maybe some patience is appropriate in this direction.

Even if UK left EU, which I think is very unlikely, I think it is almost certain that agreements such as getting free healthcare would stay. UK would still be in EEA and have most of the benefits of EU membership. But even if that wasn't the case, Spain could still be a good investment. There are many non-EU countries where you can make good money on property. The country doesn't have to be in the EU. Are you saying that buying a property in USA is a bad investment just because USA isn't in EU? I son't see what UK leaving EI has to do with a good property in Spain. Spaniards buy property there. They aren't going to stop just because the UK leaves the EU.

So you have one property for sale in Spain and you think that represents the whole country. It shows you know nothing about how the property market works. If you haven't sold, this simply means you're asking too much. Lower the prices to the current market value and it will sell.

A down market is also the best time to get a bargain. This is when most are frightened to buy and when professional property investors load up with property.

Even if UK left EU, which I think is very unlikely, I think it is almost certain that agreements such as getting free healthcare would stay. UK would still be in EEA and have most of the benefits of EU membership. But even if that wasn't the case, Spain could still be a good investment. There are many non-EU countries where you can make good money on property. The country doesn't have to be in the EU. Are you saying that buying a property in USA is a bad investment just because USA isn't in EU? I son't see what UK leaving EI has to do with a good property in Spain. Spaniards buy property there. They aren't going to stop just because the UK leaves the EU.

For the US I would know what I am not getting re health benefits, but with the EU there is potential uncertainty affecting retirees purchasing decisions. The property market in Spain is bad enough. Mix in some further volatility re GBPEUR and as I have said patience might be a virtue here. Certainly with the EUR currently bombed down against GBP past purchasers at ~ 1.40 no longer have much of a luxury of selling at a loss (assuming they can get a sale) but mitigating that loss against the currency spread.

I visited a condo last day in jomption, Park Lane. they don't have even the money to fix the name of the place just in front of the road. some letters were falling or missing.

the next building has already cracks, and it's new. these places look like gypsy ghetto after 5 years.

Edited by VIPinthailand