Monk's wealth to be scrutinised under the Thai reform bill

webfact

They should start their hunt at PANTIP PLAZA - Or perhaps at DON MUANG AIRPORT!
There are more Monks in Pantip buying 30,000 baht computers than i see in the temples!
And while we are at it - Why are monks suddenly flying everywhere when they are supposed to choose modest means of transport and dont have to rush around?
I see young monks flying everywhere with iphones!

DISGRACEFUL!

The principal aim of religion is control of the masses, by promising more than they have now at some future date, usually after death, if they behave.

Transferring wealth from the gullible to the venal is pretty high on the list though. Buying merit through donations is a beautiful scam, nearly as classy as the selling of indulgences which sparked the Reformation.

One hardly likes to point out your erroneous use of the word 'religion', but Buddhism is a philosophy, not a religion.

Enough said though - whatever it is, they certainly are hardly paragons of virtue; perhaps the selling of 'merit' will catch up with Roman Catholicism (it's only 400 years behind).

Either way, most Thais aren't all that devout. Just check out the Thais buying lottery tickets outside of temples. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

I met a very well know monk with his own TV program, selling IPhones and IPad loaded with its teachings in its retreat, outside BK.

I was invited by a Thai family. I was the only "farang" on the Sonkrang retreat in 2011, and curiosity is my biggest "addiction"... Monks living areas shows a sing "Out of Limits", but curiosity is my biggest addiction. The Master lives in a small very modern house, others monks in wooden bungalows. Walking at the back of his house, under the carport, was a brand new Mercedes 500 4D SUV, the same kind selling in the US at that time for over $100K....

Later I saw the same car in a car expo fair in Chiang Mai selling for 9 milTHB.

That was my first experience with Buddhism in Thailand, and was kind of a surprise.... I do not live in BK, but I saw him many times on TV revered by important personalities...and big donors. I like Buddhism, and I know that always will be good and bad Masters and followers...but too much easy money is not a good adviser to anyone.

Too be honest, I don't see any difference between what you described and Christian Television Evangelists in the US Bible-belt. Talking the talk, but not walking the walk. I steer clear of both. My wife occasional tries to drag me to see some super-star monk. I've told her bluntly, I don't do super-star monks. There is just something not right about it all. I'd just prefer to head to some wat out in the boondocks in the North Thailand mountains. Someplace where you may actually experience dharma in action.

• Like 1

I don't see why it should be a legal issue whether a monk has assets or not.

Did they sign a business contract to remain poor forever? Since when does being a monk open you up to legal scrutiny like this?

Ridiculous proposition. They are meant to live frugally, what has that got to do with the government? Are they to force someone to be frugal?

What if someone opens a competing buddhism where you don't have to be frugal?

I think that most of the cash donations are intended for the temple and not for individual monks.

If you donate money to a charity and the person collecting on behalf of the charity uses it to buy a house for himself, would you think that is ok as well?

I don't see why it should be a legal issue whether a monk has assets or not.

Did they sign a business contract to remain poor forever? Since when does being a monk open you up to legal scrutiny like this?

Ridiculous proposition. They are meant to live frugally, what has that got to do with the government? Are they to force someone to be frugal?

What if someone opens a competing buddhism where you don't have to be frugal?

What is it to do with the government if the state religion with tax and numerous other legal exemptions abuses its status for personal gain? Beats me.