The Third Army Destroys Nearly 1,000 Rai Of Poppy Plantations In The North

Jai Dee

The Third Army destroys nearly 1,000 rai of poppy plantations in the North

The Third Army and other anti-drug agencies have destroyed 957 rai of poppy plantations in three northern provinces over the past several months.

Third Army Deputy Commander Sangkhom Chantharatham (สังคม จันทรธรรม) reported at a meeting of agencies dealing with drug prevention and suppression today that 97.33% or 957 of 984 rai of poppy plantations in the provinces of Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai and Tak were destroyed between November, 2005 and May, 2006.

Maj. Gen. Sangkhom said authorities also have educated poppy growers, in which most of them are hill tribe villagers, about the effects of narcotics drugs on national security.

Medical care, consumer goods, school and sports equipment and other necessities have been provided to hill tribe villages as part of an anti-drug campaign, he said.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 August 2006

Hope this can rid the world from heroin (one day) that has ruined may unge/ old people around the world (But then there will be synthetic drugs....ohh...already is!) But Some help is better than nothing. Now to Afganastan, to ask the CIA if they will fallow suit.

Hope this can rid the world from heroin (one day) that has ruined may unge/ old people around the world (But then there will be synthetic drugs....ohh...already is!) But Some help is better than nothing. Now to Afganastan, to ask the CIA if they will fallow suit.

I think they have earmarked Amsterdam as next Jens ..... no time for the fields in Afghanistan

those hill tribes are extremely poor. well, most of them - except few bosses who control this trade and encourage commoners to grows those crops. I recall while in Chiang Rai I was told by my wife (who is also from North, but another province, yet does speak same Norhtern language) that many of most of them don't even get proper identification documents - as Thai citizen ID card - and therefore there is no even question of getting proper job for them. many of them hardly even speak Thai language at all. so, they are sort of lower category (in cicil status and rights) than normal Thais.

one thing is the same though - they also have to eat, raise kids etc. they need to earn their livelihood somehow.

I doubt that what news report said is an adequate help to them in terms of education and basci necessities. and that in nearest future it would ever be.

same as Pushtuns and other tribes in Afgan. common - do you seriously belive that they'll so easily give up ? especially with such a HUGE demand on this stuff ? yeah, it is arguable matter - what is more effective and or primary in order to stop the drugs problem - eradicating demand or supply. perhaps there is no answer which is not complex. however I am sure that as long as there is steady and ever encreasing demand (why it is - subject for another debate) - there ALWAYS be a supply !